Taycan Forum banner

Your Thoughts on PPF Quotes

683 Views 6 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  TLC
Hello..
I contacted my SA about PPF. The dealership can have PPF installed by an XPEL installer. The dealership can do Simoniz Ceramic in house. Would like to get thoughts on the prices I was quoted.

PPF Entire Front - $2995
PPF 4 doors extra $2750

PPF Entire Car - $12,500

Ceramic on top of PPF - $1995 (this is the price for the XPEL installer, not sure of the brand)

Didn’t get a quote from the dealership for Ceramic
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
I'm in CO, and mine was $8K for full PPF and ceramic. The pieces were cut on a plotter, not hand-cut. That may make a difference.
I'm in CO, and mine was $8K for full PPF and ceramic. The pieces were cut on a plotter, not hand-cut. That may make a difference.
@BurntToast - Which should be more expensive, plotter or hand cut? I ask my SA to find out how the material is being cut.

Thanks,
@BurntToast - Which should be more expensive, plotter or hand cut? I ask my SA to find out how the material is being cut.

Thanks,
Hand-cut is usually more expensive. XPEL provides the installer with a pattern they cut out with their plotter. The pieces should have excess to wrap the edges, but there are a few exceptions. i.e. my installer used pre-cut pieces, and the mirrors are mostly covered but not fully covered on the inside edge (facing the window). That's just how the pattern came through, and even with some adjustments, that's the pattern it cuts out.

Theoretically, hand-cut means they'd use sheets and a blade to cut the edges after it's been applied, so it should have more coverage. It's not significantly more coverage.

Make sure to ask them how they will handle the emblem on the hood and the badge on the back. They'll either try to work around them, or they will remove them, install PPF, and then put them back on. The plotter did a good job of cutting the emblem shape, but it was terrible for the badge on the back so I had them remove the badge and replace the PPF, but I didn't put the badge back on.
@BurntToast thanks a lot for the information and questions I should ask. Just spoke with another installer. Quoted price was $10K for full body and ceramic. He has good reviews and shows his work on several platforms.

Both shops use plotter cuts.

Hoping someone in the Washington DC area has a good shop recommendation he/she is willing to share.
To ask a slightly different, but related question. If you are not changing the color or going to a matte or other finish why apply a PPF? If one is satisfied with the color etc. would it be less expensive to take your vehicle to a body shop every other year to remove dings and dents? For $2 or $3K every other year you would not have to be concerned with any problems with the film. Any thoughts on the aforementioned. Thanks.
To ask a slightly different, but related question. If you are not changing the color or going to a matte or other finish why apply a PPF? If one is satisfied with the color etc. would it be less expensive to take your vehicle to a body shop every other year to remove dings and dents? For $2 or $3K every other year you would not have to be concerned with any problems with the film. Any thoughts on the aforementioned. Thanks.
From what I understand after reading numerous posts on different forum, the Taycan‘s front end is prone to chips. While the PPF will not protect from all rocks or other rock type road debris it will protect from most. The PPF will also make cleaning the car easier.

Maybe someone else who has or don’t have PPF can add to this.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts