Porsche Taycan EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My biggest concern with the Taycan is if it will feel like a real Porsche. To start assessing that, this review brings up some points to address that concern.

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
I'm 100% not worried.

The Cayenne handles better than most sports cars. I know no one really uses it like that, but they engineered it that way.

Porsche knows their future lies with the Tacan. They won't screw this up.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seeing the Taycan tested alongside the 911 did help restore my confidence, especially during the final testing phases were both were spotted together a lot!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm 100% not worried.

The Cayenne handles better than most sports cars. I know no one really uses it like that, but they engineered it that way.

Porsche knows their future lies with the Tacan. They won't screw this up.
I agree I have faith that Porsche will ensure that this feels 100% like a true Porsche. They have too much riding on this for it to be a bust.

The fact that the Taycan is shorter and lower than a Panamera and has a lower center of gravity than a 911 GT3 will help negate how heavy it will be, especially on a track. Four-wheel steering is also an added bonus.

TEV31, is there something specific that makes you think it won't feel like a proper Porsche?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I agree I have faith that Porsche will ensure that this feels 100% like a true Porsche. They have too much riding on this for it to be a bust.

The fact that the Taycan is shorter and lower than a Panamera and has a lower center of gravity than a 911 GT3 will help negate how heavy it will be, especially on a track. Four-wheel steering is also an added bonus.

TEV31, is there something specific that makes you think it won't feel like a proper Porsche?
The fact the Taycan's construction is a massive departure from all Porsche's we've seen till now...

Porsche's CEO (Oliver Blume) did just state "the Taycan has to drive like the 911" in an interview with handelsblatt, more of what else he said about the Taycan can be read below... so my concerns are diminishing.

[translated with google translator]
Porsche chief on possible US punitive duties: "Everything that is in the double digits, we will feel very clearly
Oliver Blume speaks in an interview about the risk of US punitive tariffs, the new Porsche electric car and the unpleasant visit from the prosecutor.
Stuttgart Porsche boss Oliver Blume confirms for the first time publicly that his office was also searched last Thursday during the raid. "It is true that on May 28, several business premises were searched by Porsche , including my office," said Blume in an interview with the Handelsblatt.

According to the prosecutor's office, the raid was about over-paid works council salaries. In addition, an official of the Stuttgart Group Examination Office is said to have divulged secretive information to a tax consultant of Porsche AG.

The accusation of secret betrayal was new to him, said Blume. However, Porsche had already asked the question of the permissible amount of works council remuneration. "That's why we've been looking for a long time ago discussion on the appropriateness of compensation with the tax authorities," said Blume.

He sees it as his duty to "set a good example" in governance and compliance issues. The Porsche CEO made it clear: "We must constantly put governance and compliance issues to the test." Regarding the diesel scandal, Blume said: "We want to end this chapter for Porsche AG and use our strength for the future of the company."

He is worried about impending tariff increases for US cars. "Everything that is double-digit, we will feel very clearly," said the Porsche CEO. Considerations to avert this risk with a manufacturing in the US, there is currently not. "Our volumes in each series are still too low for economical local manufacturing," said Blume.

The company has announced the Taycan, the first purely electric Porsche for September. "Yes, we will hold the appointment," said Blume. According to earlier information, there are already 20,000 pre-orders for the over 90,000-euro 600-horsepower cars. "The number is steadily rising," said Blume, without giving a specific number.

The Porsche CEO announced: "The annual production will be well over 20,000." He recommended to the federal government, "The policy should promote e-mobility, because we use it to start the transformation." Blume also spoke out against the introduction of a speed limit. "For me it's still a piece of personal freedom to decide how fast I want to go."

From The Interview:

In September, the world premiere of the first electric Porsche Taycan is just around the corner . Can you hold the appointment?
Yes, we will hold the appointment. That's an ambitious goal. But I always set ambitious goals to get the most out of the team. We have come a long way and have learned a lot in the new technology on the way.

What does this mean? Did something go wrong?
Some things went wrong - but that's important. The sooner mistakes happen, the better. When problems come up, you have a chance to solve them. It is worse when a car is on the market and then difficulties first emerge. In that sense we are grateful for everything we find before.

And what did you discover specifically?
These were issues with power loss, loading and unloading, the thermal management of the battery or the acoustics. All topics that we did not know from the past. The Taycan was far more demanding and ambitious than any traditional project where you can foresee many things.

Will no one talk about Tesla after September 1st ?
To be honest, we did not think so.

We do not believe that.
I have absolute respect for the courage of Elon Musk and also for his innovation and pioneering spirit. I like that. Pioneering spirit is a characteristic that also shapes us at Porsche. However, Tesla has taken a different approach in many places. When we set up a new Porsche, we always set the standard for ourselves: the Taycan has to drive like the 911.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Car and Driver definitely seems to think it drives like a Porsche should. Which is some great news to read.

It Performs like a Porsche Yet Rides Comfortably
Porsche's goal, according to Meier, was to create the "world's first electric sports sedan," an obvious swipe at Tesla, currently the largest purveyor of EVs, and no doubt the Taycan's number one competitor. To that end, Meier says the Taycan has the lowest center of gravity in the current Porsche lineup, even lower than the 911 GT3, and nearly two inches lower than the just-launching 992-generation 911.

Squealing its Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tires (there also will be a Michelin option) up Glendora Mountain Road outside of Los Angeles, the trip computer showed 1.3 g's to both the left and right. Although these types of readouts are routinely optimistic and an absolute peak measurement not an average like our skidpad test, Meier said it will have comparable lateral-grip capability to the 911, which, in our testing, hangs on to the skidpad for 1.05 g.

But, anything with the right tires will be grippy. Even better, the Taycan feels like a sports sedan, hunkered down, with one-and-done damping and sorted body control. And yet, it's remarkably light on its 21-inch tires, with an uncanny delicacy to its ride for what is sure to be a very heavy car.

The goal was to achieve a Nürburgring time of less than eight minutes, on par with the 996-generation GT3, which Meier says they've accomplished (he said they'll eventually divulge the exact time).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts