Porsche Taycan EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With thousands of us already committed to owning a Taycan and awaiting delivery day, there's a lot of questions to be answered and one of them is where to charge? I though we could use this thread to discuss what option are out there and the specifics of them to help other owners in the community. So far Electrify America public stations has been announced as part of a "three years of unlimited 30-minute charging" program that Porsche North America organized for us.

• Getting right to the details in the case of Electrify America, here's what we need to know
  • DC fast charging at rates up to 350 kilowatts
  • 60 miles of range in four minutes
  • 300 highway stations in 42 states as well as more than 180 sites in 17 metro areas
  • 484 locations with more than 2,000 charging dispensers installed or under construction by July 1 2019 (ahead of the taycans arrival)
  • five-ten charging dispensers at each location
  • minimum of two 350 kW chargers per site (other chargers get up to 150kW)
  • stations are no more than 120 miles from each other

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is the current status of the Electrify America network from their Locate A Charger page (https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger)

- 88 locations live
- Only 3 of those in California and 8 in the NorthEast
- Need to complete many more by 6/30/19 to comply with the terms of the VW settlement with EPA/CARB for diesel emissions cheating

·
Registered
102 Posts
Another fantastic incentive to choose Porsche as your next EV. Its really impressive how quickly this infrastructure is increasing but I suppose its needed with all the new electrics coming to market in the next few years.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the current status of the Electrify America network from their Locate A Charger page (https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger)

- 88 locations live
- Only 3 of those in California and 8 in the NorthEast
- Need to complete many more by 6/30/19 to comply with the terms of the VW settlement with EPA/CARB for diesel emissions cheating
the number of station set to launch in time for the Taycan's arrival is a clear sign of the momentum they're moving with so i'll hold my concerns in that regard

·
Registered
117 Posts
More universal networks are already in development such as Ionity. I think in the coming years there will be less brand exclusive options. At the moment there are very few models that can even make use of the latest supercharger outputs.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will be largely the existing companies we fuel up our ICE vehicles at. Companies like Shell have hundreds of billions just sitting around and have been active in switching over to electric.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Building up a proper network is going to take time but I would imagine the majority of owners will be doing most of their charging up at home. I agree that in coming years there will be less need for Porsche specific chargers as the average amperage of regular stations continues to climb.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Smart companies like Starbucks will invest to attract customers as they have already.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just saw the other day that Petro Canada plans on rolling out a network of charging stations at various locations across the country. If more existing gas stations get on board with that kind of support, it could ramp up the infrastructure much more quickly. This would be one less obstacle that on the fence buyers would be contemplating. Not everyone will have the ability to charge up at home.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its great to see more energy companies getting on board in Canada because last I checked Petro Canada was one of the biggest gas station chains in Canada.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts