Taycan Forum banner

What's the enduring value of the Taycan?

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  AlexPorsche 
#1 ·
As I'm contemplating purchasing a Taycan (and do not have experience with Tesla, though have owned a Porsche previously), I'm stuck thinking about one thing: enduring value. A significant selling point made by Porsche of the brand is that "70%" of Porsches are still on the road. When I look at the Taycan, it is clear the design will hold up, but I wonder how this car will age as technology develops so rapidly? Specifically as that relates to the battery and how range will be able to adapt and be extended.

I asked a Porsche salesperson where I'm located. He said:

"Regarding the durability of the Taycan. Indeed, Porsche make sure that their cars improve with time. When a new model comes out, there are always recall actions to improve the car and a lot of updates will be made from an electronic way. This is a connected car. Regarding the battery, know that it will be guaranteed 8 years or 160,000 km but it will be not possible to update the battery."

I would imagine, though, that even in five years the advancements made—by Porsche, as well as the industry, which is now investing considerably in EVs—will overwhelm what is produced today. But I just cannot fathom that Porsche would produce anything that might be scrapped in 10 year's time. This is Porsche, not Ford or another mass-consumer car maker. Such quality matters go to the core of the brand.

How do others think about this issue, or is there a different way to view the matter?

See less See more
#2 ·
think we all need to get real for a moment and understand the following:

1. we will never break even on the recouping of the cost of a Taycan vs. the savings at the fuel pump vs. potential maintenance savings vs. 3yrs 30min free charging sessions cost/benefit... on a potential lifetime of the car ownership which i am pegging at 3-5yrs ( personal Porsche ownership track record) I personally expect myself to cycle thru the Taycan lineup every 3yrs just to take benefit of the free charging that comes along with purchase.

2. Porsche seems to have thought out the Taycan infrastructure quite well, incl. its 800v future proof battery system. However Porsche has mentioned that it will deploy its 350kW charging capability vs. its current 270kW capability .. in 2020/21, such goal makes me wonder the following: Will 1st gen Taycans be able to be upgraded to the capability? Is the upgrade a hardware related upgrade or SW? If HW, will 1st gen Taycans be upgraded? If SW, will the upgrade be over-the-air upgrade free or will it cost?

3. Porsche has yet to share details on its complete future proofing of car.. my primary concern: future related battery advancements. It is still unsure if and when Porsche improves its battery packs and with it its range, if 1st gen Taycan battery packs can be swapped with new gen packs.

4. Over-the-Air updates: still lots of unknown what Porsche can or can not/will not do OTA updates to its Taycan's in order to improve the performance, battery management systems, range, ect. Still a wait and see on that front until announced.

We all have different reasons to own a Porsche.. i started out my Porsche love affair at age 16 with a 1952 356 which was my inheritance, kept that car for over 22yrs until i sold it. Owned 4 other Porsche's in between that before i switch over to Tesla ( bad move) and am not back to Porsche just because of the Taycan as i prefer EV. One's "enduring value" can be different for each owner

#3 ·
think we all need to get real for a moment and understand the following:

1. we will never break even on the recouping of the cost of a Taycan vs. the savings at the fuel pump vs. potential maintenance savings vs. 3yrs 30min free charging sessions cost/benefit... on a potential lifetime of the car ownership which i am pegging at 3-5yrs ( personal Porsche ownership track record) I personally expect myself to cycle thru the Taycan lineup every 3yrs just to take benefit of the free charging that comes along with purchase.

2. Porsche seems to have thought out the Taycan infrastructure quite well, incl. its 800v future proof battery system. However Porsche has mentioned that it will deploy its 350kW charging capability vs. its current 270kW capability .. in 2020/21, such goal makes me wonder the following: Will 1st gen Taycans be able to be upgraded to the capability? Is the upgrade a hardware related upgrade or SW? If HW, will 1st gen Taycans be upgraded? If SW, will the upgrade be over-the-air upgrade free or will it cost?

3. Porsche has yet to share details on its complete future proofing of car.. my primary concern: future related battery advancements. It is still unsure if and when Porsche improves its battery packs and with it its range, if 1st gen Taycan battery packs can be swapped with new gen packs.

4. Over-the-Air updates: still lots of unknown what Porsche can or can not/will not do OTA updates to its Taycan's in order to improve the performance, battery management systems, range, ect. Still a wait and see on that front until announced.

We all have different reasons to own a Porsche.. i started out my Porsche love affair at age 16 with a 1952 356 which was my inheritance, kept that car for over 22yrs until i sold it. Owned 4 other Porsche's in between that before i switch over to Tesla ( bad move) and am not back to Porsche just because of the Taycan as i prefer EV. One's "enduring value" can be different for each owner
Thanks for your thoughtful response.

1. I'm not so much concerned with the cost, per se, or what retained value the car will have as a Porsche. I'm more looking at it as an environmental issue. Porsche about built to last and be used, so how will this live up to that with the non-replaceable battery issue. We shall see.

2. Good question.

3. The dealer indicates that the battery is not replaceable. I'll need to dig further on that matter.

4. Agreed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.