Taycan Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
712 Posts
The Porsche charger dock is great looking and fits the car’s mobile charger perfectly giving it a built in touch panel screen appearance. I love it! 240 V wiring from my existing box to a NEMA 14-50 plug fits right in to the docking station. 50 AMP service put into my existing home circuit breaker box worked perfectly.
That does look great! Sleek and modern.

What's your garage floor by the way?

I can't tell if that's concrete or some type of tile.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
So I went all in... we took delivery of an Audi Etron Quattro 55 13 months ago. So knowing the Taycan was on the horizon I had a second dedicated 200 amp service installed in our garage. I had 50 amp Clippercreek Charger installed. As it stands I can charge at 9.6 kWh and given that we only charge once or twice per week I won’t install another charger at this time but will share the charge between the two EVs... my 911 is going into storage for a bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Long story, short version...

Taycan arrived at dealer on 7/18, Tech attempted to prep car for delivery 7/20 but found a bad connector on steering wheel assembly so currently waiting on new steering wheel. But the dealer let me take the charger and charger box which I installed 7/19. I had already purchased the 6/3 wire on eBay, and a quick trip to Home Depot finished out purchasing the rest of the materials. Total cost of the project was less than $200. The 6/3 cable was about half the cost of the installation.

CFF203E6-787E-461E-9C6B-8053C06D2BC4.jpeg

·
Registered
28 Posts
i am using the porsche mobile connector and have a level 2 outlet installed in my garage (since I will be moving in two years and would like to leave the outlet to next owner but not my charger)...it is charging about 5-6miles per min..

·
Registered
261 Posts
Long story, short version...

Taycan arrived at dealer on 7/18, Tech attempted to prep car for delivery 7/20 but found a bad connector on steering wheel assembly so currently waiting on new steering wheel. But the dealer let me take the charger and charger box which I installed 7/19. I had already purchased the 6/3 wire on eBay, and a quick trip to Home Depot finished out purchasing the rest of the materials. Total cost of the project was less than $200. The 6/3 cable was about half the cost of the installation.

View attachment 2229
Looks great @flickroll! How long did it take you to set up?

·
Registered
261 Posts
So I went all in... we took delivery of an Audi Etron Quattro 55 13 months ago. So knowing the Taycan was on the horizon I had a second dedicated 200 amp service installed in our garage. I had 50 amp Clippercreek Charger installed. As it stands I can charge at 9.6 kWh and given that we only charge once or twice per week I won’t install another charger at this time but will share the charge between the two EVs... my 911 is going into storage for a bit.
That's a serious lineup you have there. What year is your 911?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The setup in my garage is pretty typical for a US owner so I thought I'd share a few pictures and the steps I went through.

1. Had an electrician install a 14-50R socket using 8 gauge wire (huge wires by the way) for a 220-240 V circuit. Here is the outlet. The height of the outlet is roughly 4 ft from the ground of the garage, and position this to the left of a stud in the wall to give a strong mounting point for the Charging Dock.

2. Note that the Ground Pin is installed facing downward in this picture to facilitate cord plug-in.

3. The charging dock itself is installed and I only used the top and bottom mounting points inside the Dock Box, but screwed them directly to the stud I mentioned above. Imagine the stud running right down the middle of the installation. (NOTE: The mounting screws weren't long enough if using the Black Spacer at the back of the Dock, so I used longer 1/4" wood screws and washers to mount the Dock to the stud.)

4.Here is the final installation. The charging is very fast using this setup - approximately 10% of the 93KW battery every 10 min.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts