Taycan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i am in the final stages of prepping my garage for the Taycan delivery in July.. kicked my F150 out to make room for the Taycan and its charging needs. Electrician scheduled next week to install 3 plugs for our needs going forward as the Taycan will not be the only EV we will transition into and away from ICE. Previous Panamera Hybrid was hooked up to regular outlet overnight. What Lvl 2 home charging solution are you guys using? I got options from Porsche branded charging solutions down to Electrify America home charger solution. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure I will be of much help but our electrician is going to install a dedicated 220v outlet in our garage. Going to have a bracket placed under the plug to hold the brick that is the Porsche Mobile Charger and a hook for the plug. There is not quite enough space to install the Porsche Bracket on the wall as that is quite wide.

Have the car but not the dedicated outlet yet. A bit of a pain but should be good when I can get it done.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure I will be of much help but our electrician is going to install a dedicated 220v outlet in our garage. Going to have a bracket placed under the plug to hold the brick that is the Porsche Mobile Charger and a hook for the plug. There is not quite enough space to install the Porsche Bracket on the wall as that is quite wide.

Have the car but not the dedicated outlet yet. A bit of a pain but should be good when I can get it done.
will the mobile charging unit provide enough juice? vs a dedicated Lvl 2 home charger?

·
Registered
23 Posts
will the mobile charging unit provide enough juice? vs a dedicated Lvl 2 home charger?
Aren't we saying the same thing? A Level 2 charger means 240Vs. The Porsche Mobile Charging unit can handle that and will adjust to whatever the right amps are from the outlet. The Mobile Charging unit also has a wifi connection to the extent that helps with anything. As you noted in another post, there are already far too many apps/wifi connections associated with this one car.

Of course, you could have your own wall mounted set up and then just keep the Mobile Charger in the car, but that would take up a medium amount of room in the trunk.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As I heard it, the Porsche wall mount is just a holder for the charger, it doesn’t have a power cable itself. Is that true? Is that what you’ve heard as well?

Personally I had an electrician run the dedicated line to my garage so I can get a full 50 amp Level 2. A bit pricey but the best solution for long-term electric car charging at home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As I heard it, the Porsche wall mount is just a holder for the charger, it doesn’t have a power cable itself. Is that true? Is that what you’ve heard as well?

Personally I had an electrician run the dedicated line to my garage so I can get a full 50 amp Level 2. A bit pricey but the best solution for long-term electric car charging at home.
Yes, the Porsche wall mount is just a nice looking and relatively bulky holder. The Mobile Charger is the cable and plug from the wall outlet into the car. It has two different attachments, one for the standard 120v wall socket and a second for a 240V outlet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Porsche mobile charger pulls 40amps on a 240v circuit (9.6kwh) which means you need a 50amp circuit because you rate the circuit for 120% of the constant load. At max... you can go smaller I’d that’s all your panel can handle. That means for the full load you install a NEMA 14-50 plug on the wall. The optional box you buy mounts over the outlet and holds the portable charger turning it into a nicely mounted wall charger. It’s actually a pretty well made box but of course still ridiculously priced. Ha!

The box has three pieces... it’s got a spacer for mounting over a cable... maybe small conduit, a back panel, and the larger housing that holds the charger and acts as a cable holder. You can probably attach it with two screws into the stud or use four with anchors.

I ran the circuit to handle 60amps as 40 is low. Gives you a bit of upgrade protection. Here is a picture of my rough-in. Drywall goes on shortly so I just have the charger resting on the blocking. The box on the right is for a Tesla although it could also charge off the Porsche... just slower.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Porsche mobile charger pulls 40amps on a 240v circuit (9.6kwh) which means you need a 50amp circuit because you rate the circuit for 120% of the constant load. At max... you can go smaller I’d that’s all your panel can handle. That means for the full load you install a NEMA 14-50 plug on the wall. The optional box you buy mounts over the outlet and holds the portable charger turning it into a nicely mounted wall charger. It’s actually a pretty well made box but of course still ridiculously priced. Ha!

The box has three pieces... it’s got a spacer for mounting over a cable... maybe small conduit, a back panel, and the larger housing that holds the charger and acts as a cable holder. You can probably attach it with two screws into the stud or use four with anchors.

I ran the circuit to handle 60amps as 40 is low. Gives you a bit of upgrade protection. Here is a picture of my rough-in. Drywall goes on shortly so I just have the charger resting on the blocking. The box on the right is for a Tesla although it could also charge off the Porsche... just slower.
View attachment 2109
thanks for the info .. my electrician and coming over this week to install 3 Nemo 14-50 plugs in the garage. Wallbox + 25ft cable was ordered in my initial order placement of the car.. so it may seem that my trunk will be full of goodies on delivery day. I did get the onboard 150kw/400v DC charger option for the car.. lets see how that goes

·
Registered
21 Posts
thanks for the info .. my electrician and coming over this week to install 3 Nemo 14-50 plugs in the garage. Wallbox + 25ft cable was ordered in my initial order placement of the car.. so it may seem that my trunk will be full of goodies on delivery day. I did get the onboard 150kw/400v DC charger option for the car.. lets see how that goes
Yeah there should be a big box in the back as well as a soft bag with the portable charger that would then get inserted into the box. If you want one to leave in the car you have a choice of taking the one off the wall or buying another/different mobile charger.
The onboard option you got is what adds the DC plug to the passenger side for connecting to high speed L3 chargers on the road.

·
Registered
21 Posts
is that how you installed your setup?
That's how mine is set up. The EN section shows the plug where in other countries they have a hardwire option I guess. I wired the 14-50 outlet for the porsche. It's an easy setup overall. Actually proved to be easier than the hard wired tesla.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's how mine is set up. The EN section shows the plug where in other countries they have a hardwire option I guess. I wired the 14-50 outlet for the porsche. It's an easy setup overall. Actually proved to be easier than the hard wired tesla.
cool deal .. yea easy enough for my electrician to get done tomorrow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ok, so i am in the final stages of prepping my garage for the Taycan delivery in July.. kicked my F150 out to make room for the Taycan and its charging needs. Electrician scheduled next week to install 3 plugs for our needs going forward as the Taycan will not be the only EV we will transition into and away from ICE. Previous Panamera Hybrid was hooked up to regular outlet overnight. What Lvl 2 home charging solution are you guys using? I got options from Porsche branded charging solutions down to Electrify America home charger solution. Thanks for the tips.
I run a 240V 50 amp breaker at both houses and the office. Works just fine. Charging times are more than adequate. I have 2900 miles and I've never even used a DC fast charger.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
It this worth it? I am seeing these sorts of listings online. Buyer's regret?
I can’t remember what I paid for mine. Worth it? Not really... it’s an expensive enclosure that holds the mobile charger and cable. I will say it is nicely constructed though. Since you have to get a mobile charger with the car it makes for a nice mate. You can go with any number of third part options that solve the same problem and provide charging for less but may not look as polished. I would say if your garage is just studs or otherwise another unfinished option then go another direction. If you’re garage is nicely finished then the Porsche one looks pretty good.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It this worth it? I am seeing these sorts of listings online. Buyer's regret?
if you are asking if there is a need for the wall box? No.. there is no need as there is a simple bracket you can hang the charger on to in your garage to keep it off the floor. You also have other cheaper charging options from Electrify America, ChargePoint and others that offer home charging stations for the Taycan. It is cool to have the Porsche branded wall box hanging in your garage wall? probably

·
Registered
84 Posts
is that how you installed your setup?
I didn't receive my car yet. The position of my wall outlet behind my solar water tank will prevent me from using the outer case as intended. Not an issue as my car will be outside and I ordered the 25 foot cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Porsche charger dock is great looking and fits the car’s mobile charger perfectly giving it a built in touch panel screen appearance. I love it! 240 V wiring from my existing box to a NEMA 14-50 plug fits right in to the docking station. 50 AMP service put into my existing home circuit breaker box worked perfectly.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts