Taycan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
InsideEVs shared a new article that makes the case for two-speed transmissions not being necessary in EVs.

They cited the latest episode of "Mondays with Mate", where Rimac founder Mate Rimac talks about how he hated the two-speed double-clutch gearbox that was in the Concept_One.

Around the 10:00 mark of the video he says "The gearbox became super-heavy, again we had two speeds, which I didn't like, and so on, and so I really wanted to get rid of it and we started from scratch again."

They then suggest that Porsche's stake in Rimac could lead them to change their philosophy with their EVs.

So, what does all this have to do with the Porsche Taycan? That vehicle is the only production electric currently in showrooms that features a two-speed gearbox. While its integration into the drivetrain seems to have been very well done, my contention is that it would be a better car without it – lighter, less complex, and more efficient. This mechanical simplification would also translate into longer range, which is always appreciated by buyers, especially of vehicles in Taycan's price range.

And, I think this is something that could happen. After all, Porsche now has a 15.5-percent stake in Rimac Automobili and has already said it will work with them to build a world-beating hypercar. Whether it would extend that cooperation to include an update to the Taycan powertrain is hard to predict. It would, of course, be an expensive change, but it could also be moved into future electric models down the road.

While we wait to see what the future holds for the first all-electric Porsche, we can only hope the Rimac experience serves as an example to other automakers, as they pencil out the next generation of high-performance vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
781 Posts
you're stupid... lol

No, but seriously, I think time will tell.

I also think that on a hypercar there's an expectation that performance trumps all other concerns by a significant margin. As amazing as the Taycan is, it's still designed to be an every-day vehicle, so it needs to be something that has a better daily driving capability.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts