Taycan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Taycan for about two months now. My local dealership has been pretty useless with answering any of my questions.

I have two new issues:
1) The "passenger display" only displays "Taycan" and will not display any other information. I can't find any useful instructions in the manual and I've gone through every possible manipulation of the display set up. Is there a trick out there or do I need to "reset" the vehicle?

2) Sometimes (but not all the time), my rear trunk will not open...it will just beep and then close back up. Pretty annoying when you get out of car and expect an open trunk. This occurs using both the panel button and the key fob button. It's intermittent though.

Please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I believe you have to have someone sitting in the passenger seat for the passenger display to be active. The trunk may need some type of adjustment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for response. The trunk now works fine...seemed to be an isolated glitch that has not repeated. The passenger display was NOT working with a passenger, but then, later, did work.

It seems that the electronics of the vehicle is bit unstable. Or there are subtle inputs that are not intuitive. And it is frustrating that the dealership is so unresponsive and clueless regarding help.

It would be great if Porsche had a "help line" specific for Taycan owners. These are not "car" issues but are "computer" issues. Seems that Porsche knows cars but not computers.

This is my first EV and I realize that part of the problem is me. But I feel like I have no support. And the manual is typical of vehicles (I couldn't even find a section on "passenger display"). My neighbors with Teslas had similar issues at first, but had a lot of support from the company and eventually all worked out.

I realize the Covid-19 may have screwed up the Porsche training. I'm hoping that, eventually, there will be some sort of access to help consumers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had my Taycan for about two months now. My local dealership has been pretty useless with answering any of my questions.

I have two new issues:
1) The "passenger display" only displays "Taycan" and will not display any other information. I can't find any useful instructions in the manual and I've gone through every possible manipulation of the display set up. Is there a trick out there or do I need to "reset" the vehicle?

2) Sometimes (but not all the time), my rear trunk will not open...it will just beep and then close back up. Pretty annoying when you get out of car and expect an open trunk. This occurs using both the panel button and the key fob button. It's intermittent though.

Please help. Thanks.
I believe that is how it works until somebody sits in the passenger seat. If somebody is in the seat it comes alive and displays what you want. I always let it show the Nav screen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. That is how its is supposed to operate. It is doing that now, but would not "turn on" one evening with my wife in the car. I've had a several intermittent computer type glitches, but maybe that's the nature of EV's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes. That is how its is supposed to operate. It is doing that now, but would not "turn on" one evening with my wife in the car. I've had a several intermittent computer type glitches, but maybe that's the nature of EV's.
A "restart" often clears up these glitches. Think of your car as a computer. When it jams, turn it off and turn it on again. I have found it clears things up. The same held tru with a Tesla I had for 7 years. It was a big computer with wheels. I got the Taycan because the Tesla drove like one.

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Taycan
15 Posts
One time, when I was a passenger, the passenger display was only reading Taycan. I bugged me because I wanted to be able to control a few things...Nothing on the center displays would turn on the passenger display. Finally I just started touching the passenger display and it came on. Weird.
We had an issue with the trunk not shutting. Turns out if you walk away (or don't have the key fob near) when you close the trunk, it won't close all the way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. I think there are a lot of "gotcha's" that you just have to learn. I had the music page freeze on me yesterday. I stopped vehicle and restarted and all was fine. My attitude has become much more relaxed...figuring that COVID-19 messed up all the planned education for Porsche employees and, as an early Taycan user, will just have to wait for the expertise to catch up. I think it's good for people to communicate and share experiences.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That’s correct, all of threir train8 g classes were cancelled so dealers and sales people have had to learn the hard way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I believe that is how it works until somebody sits in the passenger seat. If somebody is in the seat it comes alive and displays what you want. I always let it show the Nav screen.
I think what we're all experiencing is that Porsche set out to make a high performance automobile that would also be electric and Elon Musk conceived of an electric vehicle that would have decent performance characteristics. The focus from each was vastly different.

Having had an early Tesla P85+ (2014), most of the computer driven features worked and the service was outstanding, but this was not a "driver's car" in the manner of my current Taycan Turbo S. Porsche is basically an ICE company now making its first all-electric car. I think they have created the world's best performance sedan, but their computer-dependent POV seems to prioritize performance over electronics.

Since their existing service department is set up to provide a technical focus on a wide range of ICE automobiles, they are sorely lacking in the tech we all need for assistance and maintenance of the parts of our Taycans that are as new to Porsche as they are to us.

I am confident they will get there along with necessary charging stations and a company-wide expertise in electric vehicles, but we are the early adopters, and such is the penalty of being "first".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with these thoughts. At first, I was a bit annoyed...some of that was the way the car just suddenly, with no warning, became available...making me scramble to get my home charging set-up wired. Then, nobody at the dealership knew much about the nuances of the electronics. I finally resigned myself to the fact that Covid-19 put a big crimp in Porsche's plans and that, given my previous experience with 911's, that Porsche would figure it out eventually and make things right. So I'm no resigned to wait and will delve deeply into the workings of the vehicle once Porsche team catches up.

In the meantime, I'm really enjoying the car. Tesla made a great computer surrounded by a car. And Porsche made a great car surrounded by a computer. I think the Porsche upside is much higher. It will just take time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with these thoughts. At first, I was a bit annoyed...some of that was the way the car just suddenly, with no warning, became available...making me scramble to get my home charging set-up wired. Then, nobody at the dealership knew much about the nuances of the electronics. I finally resigned myself to the fact that Covid-19 put a big crimp in Porsche's plans and that, given my previous experience with 911's, that Porsche would figure it out eventually and make things right. So I'm no resigned to wait and will delve deeply into the workings of the vehicle once Porsche team catches up.

In the meantime, I'm really enjoying the car. Tesla made a great computer surrounded by a car. And Porsche made a great car surrounded by a computer. I think the Porsche upside is much higher. It will just take time.
No one is more advanced than Apple, yet last week I downloaded their new operating system for Mac and all my information was wiped out in the process. I spent three days calling every possible tech support for all my peripheral equipment that no longer worked with my computer and finally we put everything back together. As you suggest, Porsche will eventually become proficient in consumer support in much the way Apple had become. Tesla realized initially that they had indeed made a computer with a car attached as you have stated, and they provided tech support that was impressive. I think you're correct in saying that Covid caused Porsche to alter their introductory plans and we were all denied the kind of support we should have had with the purchase of a car that is the price of a house. Porsche is bound to figure this out as they are committed to be a leader in electric vehicles. Let's hope this occurs soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, I think your experience is a reminder that we should hope that Porsche stays true to itself rather than become more like a software vendor.

I have a “poverty spec” 4S and it does not lack anything. A lot of the “options” are just needed to capture profit from those who can afford to spend it because the margin for Porsche is 100% on many items since the hardware is already there whether you spec it or not. If the car were truly “software” based you’d end up having to call tech support for everything which based on how tech companies operate, would guarantee a miserable experience. I think Porsche did ok with the software, it’s not great, but ok is better than bad and if you’re buying a Porsche for the right reasons the little things shouldn’t detract from your driving experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think what we're all experiencing is that Porsche set out to make a high performance automobile that would also be electric and Elon Musk conceived of an electric vehicle that would have decent performance characteristics. The focus from each was vastly different.

Having had an early Tesla P85+ (2014), most of the computer driven features worked and the service was outstanding, but this was not a "driver's car" in the manner of my current Taycan Turbo S. Porsche is basically an ICE company now making its first all-electric car. I think they have created the world's best performance sedan, but their computer-dependent POV seems to prioritize performance over electronics.

Since their existing service department is set up to provide a technical focus on a wide range of ICE automobiles, they are sorely lacking in the tech we all need for assistance and maintenance of the parts of our Taycans that are as new to Porsche as they are to us.

I am confident they will get there along with necessary charging stations and a company-wide expertise in electric vehicles, but we are the early adopters, and such is the penalty of being "first".
I believe you have to have someone sitting in the passenger seat for the passenger display to be active. The trunk may need some type of adjustment.
I think you just tap the passenger side display and it comes alive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts