Taycan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any reason to go with Turbo S over the Turbo? Both cars have the same HP except in overboost mode for launch control feature. Both cars are pretty similar. Am I looking at 35K difference for basically launch control to do 0-60 mph launches? I was told there will be less Turbo S cars built, so slightly rarer. But they all look pretty similar, so you can make a 4S look like a Turbo S. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well depends on what you want. Spec out a Turbo with all the features you feel you would want that is standard on the Turbo S. Then look at the price difference. In my case that was around $15k, and for that I wanted the rarer version. But if you really will have a $35k price differential between the Turbo you like and the Turbo S then the answer is no, it is NOT worth it. The little bit of extra power shaves a fraction of a second in launch and honestly probably is lost in potential tire slippage or even what tires you put on.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Taycan Turbo currently on build here on my end:

1. I had a budget.. a spec'd out Turbo with all the bells/whistles i wanted was a better option than a Turbo S.
2. With the Turbo i can probably squeeze out about 20-40 more miles vs the Turbo S
3. I will never be able to tap the full performance on my future Turbo on a daily basis for my driving needs .. 0-60/launch control is a party trick for red light numbnuts, both trim level will give you ample torque/performance/passing power on the freeways ready/instant on tap when needed.
4. TBH a spec'd out 4S will do the trick for you with the Performance Battery pack vs Turbo/Turbo S .. all trim levels will give you the Porsche feel/driving characteristics/Performance and depending on your lead foot .. all trim levels will give you the max driving range.
5. All current 3 trim levels Turbo S/ Turbo/ 4S design wise are the same.. the difference is the power output.

Really depends on your budget, and want/need.. Did I want a Turbo S upon its official launch? Hell Yes! What changed my mind? Turbo test drive for 4 hrs twice, drove the car the way I usually drive and came away with the notion that the Turbo was enough car with the same Performance + last build/allotment available at my dealer at that time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was figuring the starting price differences between the Turbo and the Turbo S. I think the price difference would be much less than 35K for a well equipped spec. The difference was still at 19K for same comparable equipment. So what is the difference to make that added value? Also wondering if the added HP for overboost is just a software solution?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was figuring the starting price differences between the Turbo and the Turbo S. I think the price difference would be much less than 35K for a well equipped spec. The difference was still at 19K for same comparable equipment. So what is the difference to make that added value? Also wondering if the added HP for overboost is just a software solution?
The added value between Turbo and Turbo S, imo .. are the "bragging rights" of owning top trim level which has proven itself of taking on Tesla Model S Performance and making minced meat out of Tesla's new "cheetah launch mode".. Porsche folks tend to stick with the trim level that they have had more experience of owning in the past. In my case I am a previous Turbo S trim level owner.. wanted to trade up to the Taycan Turbo S trim level.. but budget & some range needs for my Taycan make the Turbo trim more worth my while.

As for Taycan OTA updates .. remains to be seen what Porsche will do with it. We already know the Taycan lineup will enjoy performance purchases thru OTA in the future .. what those entail remains to be seen however

·
Super Moderator
781 Posts
Are you guys factoring the Ceramic Composite Brakes? Those add quite a bit to the price of any Porsche.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Carbon Ceramics are very cool, no real "need" for them but I wanted them. I opted for the Turbo S over the TUrbo I could have had as the difference in price was 7K and the Turbo S is simply cooler. They are both faster than shit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you guys factoring the Ceramic Composite Brakes? Those add quite a bit to the price of any Porsche.
Yes, included the carbon ceramic brakes to get an like comparison between Turbo and Turbo S. There are some subtle features like the winglets at the front air dam are carbon fiber for the Turbo S. But I can’t really see 19K worth of upgrades built into the Turbo S.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes, included the carbon ceramic brakes to get an like comparison between Turbo and Turbo S. There are some subtle features like the winglets at the front air dam are carbon fiber for the Turbo S. But I can’t really see 19K worth of upgrades built into the Turbo S.

My car has the high gloss black kit so I don't even have the carbon bits in the front or rear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My car has the high gloss black kit so I don't even have the carbon bits in the front or rear.
I’m looking at a Turbo S that is available currently, just trying to rationalize the added value when I spec the Turbo to the same OEM options. It’s incredibly nice, well equipped, dealer says that there will be a short supply through the end of the year. I think there will be a big drop in demand due to COVID 19 especially at this level, so maybe supply /demand stay intact. Certainly an awesome car, but definitely at the upper range of what I think it is worth.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Porsche will only be doing about 36% of what they had originally allocated this year. Most guys are going to have to wait until next year for a car. I grabbed a launch car as I didn’t want to wait. Turbo S is a really nice car, I have 1500 miles on it. Is it worth 206K, no. But none of the cars these days are worth what we spend, IMO. I like it, happy I have it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Porsche will only be doing about 36% of what they had originally allocated this year. Most guys are going to have to wait until next year for a car. I grabbed a launch car as I didn’t want to wait. Turbo S is a really nice car, I have 1500 miles on it. Is it worth 206K, no. But none of the cars these days are worth what we spend, IMO. I like it, happy I have it.
Sent you a PM

·
Super Moderator
781 Posts
Carbon Ceramics are very cool, no real "need" for them but I wanted them. I opted for the Turbo S over the TUrbo I could have had as the difference in price was 7K and the Turbo S is simply cooler. They are both faster than shit.
Is really comes down to:
Is the Turbo S worth it?
The answer is, for what you get for the money: no.
But there's more to it than just what you get. As you mention, there's value in having the top choice.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Good points on making the decision simple. I think EOY sales stats by model will be interesting.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Is there any reason to go with Turbo S over the Turbo? Both cars have the same HP except in overboost mode for launch control feature. Both cars are pretty similar. Am I looking at 35K difference for basically launch control to do 0-60 mph launches? I was told there will be less Turbo S cars built, so slightly rarer. But they all look pretty similar, so you can make a 4S look like a Turbo S. Any thoughts?
There's a bunch of Taycan's for sale on Cargurus and other dealers if you don't want to wait on ordering one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts