Taycan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with a Tesla Tap adaptor, the ones that allow a Taycan to charge up at a Tesla charging station (except for Tesla fast charging)?

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
85 Posts
I have the 60amp mini but haven't actually used it. there is the larger 80 amp unit which some feel provides better protection if you find a higher amp unit but those are rare.

·
Registered
Taycan Turbo S, Maclaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Alpha Romeo Giulia Quadrafoglio, Mini Cooper, Tesla P100
14 Posts
I have the Teslatap and works very well with my home Tesla charger on the driver side port.. It won't latch on the passenger side port, I suspect because I have the 19.2kw option but not sure. It wouldn't latch on the driver side port on any car at my dealer's lot, so who knows. But on driver side work great and I get about 9.8kw.

·
Registered
'17 Model S, '20 Taycan 4S, '12 Mercedes 450GL
22 Posts
I have the TeslaTap Mini (60 amp), and have tested it on my 2020 4S with my Tesla Wall Connector which is installed in my garage. It did work on the passenger side port, but I do not have the 19kW option. I have not tried it on the driver's side port. It charged a little slower than the Tesla does, but it did work. I have recently ordered the 80 amp version just in case I run into a Gen III destination charger.

·
Registered
2021 Base Taycan Black with Black and Limestone Beige Interior
15 Posts
Anyone have experience with a Tesla Tap adaptor, the ones that allow a Taycan to charge up at a Tesla charging station (except for Tesla fast charging)?
Used my 40 Amp Lectron adapter for the first time yesterday at a Tesla Destination Charger.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use my Tesla portable charger with a 60A J1772 adapter to charge my Taycan and it works fine. The Porsche J1772 charger with a Tesla adapter will also charge the Tesla. All interchangeable as long as you don't go beyond the amperage of the adapter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use my Tesla portable charger with a 60A J1772 adapter to charge my Taycan and it works fine. The Porsche J1772 charger with a Tesla adapter will also charge the Tesla. All interchangeable as long as you don't go beyond the amperage of the adapter.
What brand is your 60A adapter? I have not been able to find one that amperage level, just 40, 50, & 80.
Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks, I did find that one, and they have 40, 50, and 80 amp adapters in the direction we need to go: from a Tesla plug to a J1772. Given what I see, because I ordered the 150kW - 400V onboard charger, I’d most likely get the one with the 80A capacity, but I have a question:
Does anybody know what they do to increase the capacity other than larger gauge wire? That is required, but anything else? Perhaps a fuse? It seems there should be a reason for the price to go from $140 to $240 other than 2 feet of wire. The plastic bodies of the connectors look the same in the pictures, and I would have thought that those parts were the expensive ones.

·
Registered
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
7 Posts
Thanks, I did find that one, and they have 40, 50, and 80 amp adapters in the direction we need to go: from a Tesla plug to a J1772. Given what I see, because I ordered the 150kW - 400V onboard charger, I’d most likely get the one with the 80A capacity, but I have a question:
Does anybody know what they do to increase the capacity other than larger gauge wire? That is required, but anything else? Perhaps a fuse? It seems there should be a reason for the price to go from $140 to $240 other than 2 feet of wire. The plastic bodies of the connectors look the same in the pictures, and I would have thought that those parts were the expensive ones.
I cannot say for certain what exactly is different between the 40, 50, and 80 amp adapters; however, I believe I can help you to determine which one is correct given your circumstance.
Firstly, the 150KW/400V DC converter is not relevant in the tesla tap discussion. What this does is allow you to charge at 150 kw/hr at a DC fast charger that can only push out 400 volts. The Taycan uses 800 volt architecture so if it runs into a 400 volt DC fast charger it will need to convert the voltage to 800 volts in order to charge the battery. Since the Tesla Tap cannot be used at a Tesla Supercharger, it is not relevant for this discussion.

What is relevant is whether or not your car has the 9.6kw or 19.2kw AC charger. If your car has the 9.6kw AC charger, then theoretically all you need is a 40 amp Tesla Tap. For level 2 charging 40 amp ~ 9.6kw. I say theoretically though, because it is possible the Taycan has an 11kw charger advertised to be a 9.6kw charger (European models say that they have an 11kw (22kw optional) onboard chargers). If this is the case, they you may need the 50 amp adapter for your car. The typical Tesla wall charger installed at someone’s home will output 48 amps (mine does), this is equivalent to 11kw. If the car will actually accepts 11kw, and you use a 40 amp rated Tesla tap, it is possible that you send too much current through the Tesla tap and end up damaging something.

Unfortunately, I cannot test this, since my Taycan has the 19.2kw AC charger. If anyone on the forums has access to a car with the 9.6 kw charger and a 48 amp+ J1772 charger (or a Tesla Wall charger, and a Tesla Tap (or another brand)), they can test this by plugging in the car and checking the lower screen for the charging speed to see how much kw/hr it displays. To get it to display charging speed in kw/hr, just tap the charging speed displayed in miles/min and it will swap to kw/hr (though it will only display it as kw).

If you do not have a Tesla wall charger at home (or intend to use a home installed Tesla wall charger), it is probably safe to buy the 40 amp Tesla Tap, as most Tesla Destination Chargers I have run into output less than 40 amps. Though, I would check the car when you plug it in to make sure that you do not exceed a charging speed of 9.6 kw/hr.
You do not need to worry about an 80 amp Tesla Tap if you have the 9.6 kw AC charger, as the car will never ask for more than 40 (or possibly 48 amps if it is actually the 11kw charger) anyways.

The 80 amp Tesla tap is only consideration if you have a 19.2 kw AC charger, as 80 amps ~ 19.2kw. 80 Amps is also the highest possible output of a level 2 Tesla charger, though the likelihood that you will ever run into one is very slim. Therefore it a 50 amp Tesla Tap is probably sufficient if you have a Tesla Charger installed at home, just make sure your charging speed does not exceed 11kw.

tldr: Owners with the 9.6 kw AC charger only need to worry about the 40 amp (or possibly 50 amp) Tesla Tap. Owners with the 19.2 kw AC charger will want a 50 amp if they charge at home (or possibly and 80 amp if you want to play it super safe for the extremely rare occasion you run into a Tesla charger that can push that much.)

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK, I was mistaken.

The 150kW - 400V option only applies to the high voltage pins on the passenger side, not the pins in the J1772.

I sent email to the TeslaTap contact person. He answered that the pins are also appropriate to the current. Also, the Taycan can draw 48A continuous through the J1772, so according to the National Electrical Code the adapter should be rated for 60A or above. That means that from the TeslaTap website, there are the 60A or 80A mini or the 80A full size which are appropriate.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK, I was mistaken.

The 150kW - 400V option only applies to the high voltage pins on the passenger side, not the pins in the J1772.

I sent email to the TeslaTap contact person. He answered that the pins are also appropriate to the current. Also, the Taycan can draw 48A continuous through the J1772, so according to the National Electrical Code the adapter should be rated for 60A or above. That means that from the TeslaTap website, there are the 60A or 80A mini or the 80A full size which are appropriate.
One additional clarification:
The NEC requires the 60A capacity for a 48A continuous load, which I believe is defined as more than 3 hours. In our case even if we are on a hard-wired Tesla charger that will deliver 48A, there is no way our car will pull that much current for that long, because the draw drops as the battery charges … there is a real difference between “can” and “will.” So, if you are hooking up to a 48A Tesla charger then the 50A adapter is fine, and if the charger will deliver 40A then there is no problem at all with having a 40A adapter, although if you wanted to allow for that NEC required headroom, then you would want the adapter to be sized at 50A, just like the breaker for the circuits our Mobil Chargers connect to.

The problem that will occur with an undersized adapter is overheating, which could be serious if it lasts long enough. I cannot see how that could happen with our charging application.

·
Registered
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
7 Posts
I was not aware that the Tesla Tap also required the 20% buffer. Therefore, yes, Taycan owners will want a 60 amp capacity tap if they plan on using their Tesla Wall Charger at home.

Concerning the draw drop. In both Teslas and Taycans, I have only ever experienced the draw drop as the battery charges when DC fast charging at a Supercharger or EA station. When charging the Teslas, it displays the amount of amps that is pulling and when charging at home, the car continues to draw the full 48 amps all the way up to 100%. When I hooked my Taycan up to a Tesla Wall Charger via an 80 amp Tesla Tap, the car displayed 10.7 kw all the way to 85%. (I not yet charged the Taycan to 100%) I think it is safe to assume that while using level 2 charging you could continuously pull 48 amps for well over 3 hours.

·
Registered
2021 Taycan 4S
172 Posts
I was not aware that the Tesla Tap also required the 20% buffer. Therefore, yes, Taycan owners will want a 60 amp capacity tap if they plan on using their Tesla Wall Charger at home.

Concerning the draw drop. In both Teslas and Taycans, I have only ever experienced the draw drop as the battery charges when DC fast charging at a Supercharger or EA station. When charging the Teslas, it displays the amount of amps that is pulling and when charging at home, the car continues to draw the full 48 amps all the way up to 100%. When I hooked my Taycan up to a Tesla Wall Charger via an 80 amp Tesla Tap, the car displayed 10.7 kw all the way to 85%. (I not yet charged the Taycan to 100%) I think it is safe to assume that while using level 2 charging you could continuously pull 48 amps for well over 3 hours.

Have you used the EA 350 and if so how does it compare to the 150? I have a EA station 1 mile from my apartment that only goes to 150 but the station 7 mies away has the 350. I wondering if the time saving is worth the extra 6 mile drive.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Thanks, that is very good to know.

·
Registered
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
7 Posts
Have you used the EA 350 and if so how does it compare to the 150? I have a EA station 1 mile from my apartment that only goes to 150 but the station 7 mies away has the 350. I wondering if the time saving is worth the extra 6 mile drive.
I did test out EA 350 early on, just to see how it worked. The car was at a decently high state of charge at the time, so I think it started around 210 kw and then dropped to around 170 kw. I have not tried the EA 150 kw, but I would imagine that it would likely maintain 150 kw for a long time before tapering off at around 80% max charge. If I were to guess, the difference between the two charging from 10%~80% would be at most 10 minutes, and there would be no difference from 80% to 100%. I doubt it would be worth driving the extra 7 miles to get to a 350 kw charger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts