Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had experience with the new converters that allow you to use a Tesla charger? I bought one in case but have t used it. For me it was an added precaution so that if an EA charger wasn’t available you could use a Tesla changer…but not a super charger.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
879 Posts
I have not. So far my experience with EA has been flawless. Where did you buy the converter and what did it cost? Seems like a handy thing to carrying in the car.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
879 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
154 Posts
I have not. So far my experience with EA has been flawless. Where did you buy the converter and what did it cost? Seems like a handy thing to carrying in the car.
and my experience is problematic. I have a 50/50 chance of getting a charge initiated without having to call in and a 2 in 10 chance of EA being unable to kick start the charger. I was almost stranded for a second time this past friday.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amazon of course. Get the 50amp and you’re fine with the Taycan.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
879 Posts
Do you know if it’s a Porsche problem or EA?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had experience with the new converters that allow you to use a Tesla charger? I bought one in case but have t used it. For me it was an added precaution so that if an EA charger wasn’t available you could use a Tesla changer…but not a super charger.
We call those Tesla Destination Chargers.

·
Registered
2021 Taycan RWD, Cherry Red Metallic
15 Posts
I've been using a TeslaTap Mini while waiting for my electrician to install a NEMA 14-50. It works as advertised, no complaints at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Let’s be clear here: they don’t let you use a Tesla Supercharger; they only let you use a Tesla High Powered Wall connecter, known as a “Destination Charger”. They are orders of magnitude slower than a SC. This is still highly valuable on road trips for charging at the thousands of hotels, motels, and restaurants that have HPWCs. They effectively eliminate a charge stop delay as you can easily charge overnight. Tesla has a program where they give them free to encourage their spread.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
879 Posts
Good know. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use this Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 40A & 250V - For Tesla High Powered Connector, Destination Charger with my home Tesla wall charger with a 40 AMP circuit as well as my Tesla mobile charger. I charge visiting friend's cars as well as my Taycan. So far it has worked flawlessly. The main drawback is the power limitation [40 amps of maximum current and 250V of maximum voltage]. This cannot be used with a Tesla Supercharger or any charger with more than 40 AMPs .

·
Registered
15 Posts
I rock a TeslaTap Mini 60 amp. I use it on my wife's Tesla HPWC (60 amp breaker, 48 amp throughput.)

Works great and will go with me on the road in case I need to use a Tesla destination charger in a pinch.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let’s be clear here: they don’t let you use a Tesla Supercharger; they only let you use a Tesla High Powered Wall connecter, known as a “Destination Charger”. They are orders of magnitude slower than a SC. This is still highly valuable on road trips for charging at the thousands of hotels, motels, and restaurants that have HPWCs. They effectively eliminate a charge stop delay as you can easily charge overnight. Tesla has a program where they give them free to encourage their spread.
That's true but having a back-up "limp in" plan is better than waiting for the flat back tow truck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's true but having a back-up "limp in" plan is better than waiting for the flat back tow truck.
Can confirm - towing a Porsche is a very stressful endeavor, even on a flatbed. I had to tow my Targa after a flat once and watching it go up the ramp was awful. The rear bumper came within millimeters of scraping the pavement.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I rock a TeslaTap Mini 60 amp. I use it on my wife's Tesla HPWC (60 amp breaker, 48 amp throughput.)

Works great and will go with me on the road in case I need to use a Tesla destination charger in a pinch.
Someone has had a great idea to boost towing/on the road charging capabilities...

BoostEV is an on-demand mobile EV charging network, like UberEats for hungry EVs
Posted May 18, 2021 by Charles Morris & filed under Features, Infrastructure Features.

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Taycan
24 Posts
I bought a Tesla mini tap and used it at a Marriott hotel's Tesla destination charger. It's a slow charge but it works just fine. Even let another Taycan owner borrow it one night (we were at a Porsche Treffen). It does NOT work at the big Tesla superchargers--those are proprietary to Tesla.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am away at at Inn right now. They have 1 regular and 1 Tesla charger. The regular only charged at .2 mi/hr but I got .4 using my TeslaTap. Plus there are no Teslas here right now. Just made the investment worthwhile!

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
879 Posts
Sounds like a handy item to have. Might suggest to the wife to get it for an anniversary gift.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts