Taycan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a stop sign today and the car won’t move. Message on display says “PCM timed out”. Current charge is 60%. That was not good. Had to power down then back up to get moving again. Anyone have this happen and why?

·
Registered
919 Posts
At a stop sign today and the car won’t move. Message on display says “PCM timed out”. Current charge is 60%. That was not good. Had to power down then back up to get moving again. Anyone have this happen and why?
Sorry to hear about what happened @jmeys23. People have had issues with PCM before. It could be a connectivity issue. Has it happened again since?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the way to work today, as I was sitting in traffic a message came on saying power train failure do not drive put in park. I felt a surge in the transmission then it went away. Ugh. Bringing in for service.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is a SERIOUS problem - hopefully this will help - from a thread in the taycanevforum.com.

OK, I just got the word from my dealer and they are fixing the problem. I'll have more details tomorrow, but they spoke with Porsche on the problem and it is a 'communication issue' between the main ICU and the DME for the rear engine. They weren't communicating properly, and Porsche sent a software fix to the dealer which they are installing, and say will completely solve the problem. They said that Porsche 'missed' this in their major update, which is the cause of the issue. They evidently will be including this fix into updates from now on, but I asked if they would be recalling cars that are currently on the road and the dealer did not have any indication this would be the case.

I would definitely recommend asking your dealer about this, since the problem is very serious. I'll post again tomorrow after I pick the car up and have more detail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a SERIOUS problem - hopefully this will help - from a thread in the taycanevforum.com.

OK, I just got the word from my dealer and they are fixing the problem. I'll have more details tomorrow, but they spoke with Porsche on the problem and it is a 'communication issue' between the main ICU and the DME for the rear engine. They weren't communicating properly, and Porsche sent a software fix to the dealer which they are installing, and say will completely solve the problem. They said that Porsche 'missed' this in their major update, which is the cause of the issue. They evidently will be including this fix into updates from now on, but I asked if they would be recalling cars that are currently on the road and the dealer did not have any indication this would be the case.

I would definitely recommend asking your dealer about this, since the problem is very serious. I'll post again tomorrow after I pick the car up and have more detail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Just picked up my 4S last week. I love this car. Got the Ice Gray.
Last Saturday at the end of a 120 mile trip in the mountains a warning light came on on the right Tube. I swear it said something about the 'engine'- that doesn't make sense. Anyway, at the bottom of the alert it said 'find a safe place to park'. I pulled in to a parking lot but didn't have enough time to park before the car stopped (I had less than a minute) and stayed in park. I turned off the car and turned it back on and everything worked fine. Drove it back to the dealer (in the slow lane🙁 next to the shoulder- no shoulders next to the fast lane). My representative told me he had heard from three other drivers of that happening. He said you need to turn off the car, get out, lock it which resets it and then turn it back on. Like Vim said, this is a SERIOUS problem. Hope there is a software fix.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hi, Just picked up my 4S last week. I love this car. Got the Ice Gray.
Last Saturday at the end of a 120 mile trip in the mountains a warning light came on on the right Tube. I swear it said something about the 'engine'- that doesn't make sense. Anyway, at the bottom of the alert it said 'find a safe place to park'. I pulled in to a parking lot but didn't have enough time to park before the car stopped (I had less than a minute) and stayed in park. I turned off the car and turned it back on and everything worked fine. Drove it back to the dealer (in the slow lane🙁 next to the shoulder- no shoulders next to the fast lane). My representative told me he had heard from three other drivers of that happening. He said you need to turn off the car, get out, lock it which resets it and then turn it back on. Like Vim said, this is a SERIOUS problem. Hope there is a software fix.
Hey @mjr, when you took it to your dealer, did the representative or technician say whether or not this could happen again? It seems like a bigger issue than just turning your car on and off.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Keep us posted if it’s fixed it. I’m wondering if I can be over the air?
It does seem like something that can be fixed with an OTA update. If it can't it's going to be a huge pain for everyone and Porsche to deal with. Keep us posted with what your dealer tells you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey @mjr, when you took it to your dealer, did the representative or technician say whether or not this could happen again? It seems like a bigger issue than just turning your car on and off.
He said, if it happens again this is what you do. Next time I'll snap a picture of the alert. Haven't found anything like it in the manual.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just got my car back, and the problem was identified and fixed. It is a problem due to the latest 'update' and may not affect all cars. Evidently, the software controlling the communication to the rear engine is defective and allows the rear cpu to get overwhelmed and it just shuts down. Porsche has a 'patch' that they send to the dealer OTA, and they can install this patch in your car. As far as I know, I'm one of the first to get this done, so you need to tell your dealer to call Porsche and get the patch! Anything else is bullshit. As I said before, this is a very serious problem, and seems to be affecting a large number of post-update cars. I was told there should be some kind of announcement from Porsche, but they need to determine the extent of the problem and what cars are affected. Given the serious nature of the problem, I'd get the announcement out to the dealers at least...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Just got my car back, and the problem was identified and fixed. It is a problem due to the latest 'update' and may not affect all cars. Evidently, the software controlling the communication to the rear engine is defective and allows the rear cpu to get overwhelmed and it just shuts down. Porsche has a 'patch' that they send to the dealer OTA, and they can install this patch in your car. As far as I know, I'm one of the first to get this done, so you need to tell your dealer to call Porsche and get the patch! Anything else is bullshit. As I said before, this is a very serious problem, and seems to be affecting a large number of post-update cars. I was told there should be some kind of announcement from Porsche, but they need to determine the extent of the problem and what cars are affected. Given the serious nature of the problem, I'd get the announcement out to the dealers at least...
Great information @Vim thanks for sharing that. How does the car feel since you got it back?

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
53 Posts
from what I understand it is only 2020 cars that are affected with this issue

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm not sure about 2020 cars, but definitely this update is the cause of the problem. The car feels great - can't really tell the difference - just glad it's not going to stop on the highway in the lefthand lane...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts