Taycan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Seriously dude, what is your issue? What “proof” do you think you want? Not that it matters, it is just more a curiosity. Pick an object of your choosing and I’ll post a picture of that object by the instrument panel, is that “proof” enough for you?

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I feel like this is getting out of hand... but it's kind of funny to watch.

Epirali... nice pic! lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
Seriously this matches pretty well with my experience so far. Tesla range are massively overstated. You could get close if you hypermill and drive incredibly carefully, while the Taycan (and Jaguar I Pace) get much closer to the states number or surpass them with more normal driving. So yes if you really tried very hard the Tesla could go further. But in normal situation they barely hit 65-70% of the states numbers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Going back to the range discussion for a second (great pic Epirali), Car and Driver tested the range of the Taycan Turbo S and the Model S Performance and based on their results it's WAY closer than the EPA numbers would have you believe

View attachment 1069
Maybe it’s just me, but isn’t this as much of a scandal (for Tesla) as VW‘s emissions cheating? Tesla is wildly overstating the range of their cars and gaming the EPAs range calculation. Clearly Porsche is not and is being conservative.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Maybe it’s just me, but isn’t this as much of a scandal (for Tesla) as VW‘s emissions cheating? Tesla is wildly overstating the range of their cars and gaming the EPAs range calculation. Clearly Porsche is not and is being conservative.
It's really confusing how the EPA does their testing. Most of them they don't test themselves.

The EPA only does their own testing for about 10% - 15% of the EVs on the market today, the range figures for the remaining 85% - 90% were provided by the manufacturer.

We've discussed it on this thread and the main reason the EPA doesn't test all EVs themselves seems to be funding, staff numbers, and resources.

·
Registered
659 Posts
A real-world test just revealed the Taycan's range is on part with the Model S:
____
In Our Testing, the Porsche Taycan's Range Nearly Equaled That of the Tesla Model S
The vast difference in EPA figures didn't amount to much in the real world.
  • We've already published a comparison test between the Porsche Taycan Turbo S and the Tesla Model S Performance.
  • Now we're breaking down our test results to compare the two electric cars' range numbers.
  • We ran both cars at the same time on the same loop at 75 mph, and arrived at total range figures that were far closer than we expected.
When the Porsche Taycan's first EPA range figure exposed itself to the public, the outcry was swift and decisive. Even those not strong in math might realize that a paltry 192-mile rating for the Taycan Turbo S is a huge miss compared with the 326- or 348-mile figures that the Tesla Model S Performance gets. It's like coming out with a Toyota Prius competitor but, instead of getting 55 mpg, it got, say, 30 mpg instead.
So, as part of our comparison test between the two, a real-world test was in order, to get beyond the EPA's dynamometers and prescribed cycles and see just how far behind the Porsche really is. It's worth noting that our two test cars are the least efficient variants of each model line: the Taycan in top, Turbo S trim and wearing 21-inch Pirelli P Zero PZ4 tires, and the Model S Performance on 21-inch Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss with the latest "Raven" upgrades to the suspension and new front electric motor.
Unfortunately, time and mileage constraints kept us from running the batteries as far down as we would have liked to, but the two cars were run on the same clear, 55-degree evening, at the same time, and around the same 6.5-mile oval at Hyundai's California City, California, proving grounds. As is our typical practice, we set the automatic climate control in both cars to 72 degrees. With no elevation change and no traffic to get in the way, there are zero asterisks with the comparability of our results. We were contending with an 11-mph wind, however, which alternately hurt and helped as we made our 16 loops.
Both cars started fully charged at chargers adjacent to the oval, and we ran both cars at a GPS-verified 75 mph for a total of 100 miles, tracking each car's state of battery charge, predicted range, and stated efficiency along the way. We also corrected for slight differences in odometer accuracy.

At the conclusion of our 100 miles, the Tesla was sitting at a 55 percent state of charge, and the Porsche was just behind at 52 percent. We then used the rate of battery depletion and range reduction—which, given our idealized test conditions, was extremely stable—to extrapolate out to a predicted total range figure.
The results were far closer than we expected: 209 miles for the Taycan, and 222 for the Model S.
Although that number might seem low for the Model S, it's between our other Tesla highway-range results. The last Model S we tested, a 2018 100D, achieved 270 miles to a 335-mile EPA rating, and the first Model 3, a rear-drive Long Range, got 200 miles versus its 310-mile EPA figure at the time. That means at a steady 75 mph, the 100D achieved 81 percent of its EPA range, and the Model 3, 65 percent, while the figure for this latest Model S is 68 percent.
Of course, total range figures for electrics are always slightly fuzzy because an EV can't run at highway speed all the way down to a zero state of charge. Along the way, it will go into a limp mode and limit speed in an attempt to delay your point of strandedness.
But this exercise was enough to convince us that the real-world range between the Taycan and the Model S won't be significantly different. And, sure enough, both cars averaged an identical 70 MPGe, a figure that includes charging losses, over our three days of mixed (and pretty vigorous) driving.
___

Keep in mind that range used to be a selling point for the Tesla, now that's no more.

The Taycan isn't officially out as far as more people are concerned, yet its doing this sort of damage already to Tesla!

·
Registered
301 Posts
More Taycan real-world range numbers for us to compare:

"Good drive with the Taycan Turbo. On one stint, I covered 189 miles with 22% battery remaining at the end (according to the charger I plugged into). Most of that drive was done with the adaptive cruise control set to 80 mph, climate control on auto at 70 degrees."

Porsche Taycan Real-World Range

·
Registered
32 Posts
Let me first state for the record that I have deposits on both the TurboS and the Lucid and will be purchasing both EV'S. I just received a news update from Lucid that absolutely floored me. News caption is as follows:
"Finally, it’s on to the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA, where Beta 9 traveled over 400 miles on a single charge at highway speeds. This was an encouraging result — and we believe the Air will perform even better in real-world conditions off the track."
This is a direct quote from their press release that I received today.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Let me first state for the record that I have deposits on both the TurboS and the Lucid and will be purchasing both EV'S. I just received a news update from Lucid that absolutely floored me. News caption is as follows:
"Finally, it’s on to the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA, where Beta 9 traveled over 400 miles on a single charge at highway speeds. This was an encouraging result — and we believe the Air will perform even better in real-world conditions off the track."
In addition to the Taycan Turbo.. i am on deposit for the Rivian R1T and Lucid Air as well

·
Registered
144 Posts
This will be very interesting indeed to follow as it develops. Because ultimately its all physics, you can only optimize drag, tire rolling resistance, weight and battery KWHrs. So unless they have a breakthrough in battery density and/or are using ridiculous KWHr batteries I am not seeing where this happens.

·
Registered
160 Posts
They are also making proprietary batteries for the EV race circuit
It will be interesting to see if they really can crack the 400mi range. I intentionally opted for Rivian and Lucid for the claim of 400mi range. I still have 1 more spot left in my 4-car garage and got my eye on the Rivian R1S or the BMW iNEXT as my SUV solution.. but gotta have my Porsche!

61 - 80 of 88 Posts