Taycan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do have a question, I sense a little bit of a personal tone here, am I wrong?

You and I may disagree and I appreciate your viewpoint, but as an engineer I stand by what I said. In any design there are multiple design criteria throughout design/pre production. Then they are prioritized and refined. The announcement was probably before final changes, and would have generally been a good target. Obviously it was optimistic. I am guessing once everything is tweaked the real world range may be in the 240 range. So that is a 30% less than announced.

BTW I am pretty sure if you wanted to switch the tires to LRR variant you will immediately gained back 20% of the range at the expense of handling and safety.
There is nothing personal at all. Projections as I stated earlier are just that projections and can have a vast delta in reality say like Boeing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
And FWIW both Jaguar and Audi had almost exactly the same thing, they announced a higher range target then at final design and ratings didn't achieve it. Interestingly Jaguar just released a firmware for drivetrain with tweaked behaviour that is adding a real 20% to the range of the car in Eco mode. So they managed to claw some of the lost range back.
In one of my previous posts I indicated that I asked the sales rep at Porsche to contact the technical team to see if there will be any updates to achieve higher mileage; still waiting for an answer that I will gladly share. If in fact the TS would achieve 240-250 miles then there is nothing to discuss; its a winner!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I guess I am a little confused then. I am not advocating anything here, honestly. I am not a Porsche owner, and I am not brand loyalist. I have owned quite a few EVs from many manufacturers and am just sharing what I have seen to be typical vs atypical. Items 2-4 are not limited to Porsche, and Tesla had to build their own network to remedy that. Most people will charge at home with EVs in the USA, that is a requirement honestly. We will never have a real and useable infrastructure unliked Europe, specially without any centralized policy.

Porsche addressed length of time by allowing charging at 270-350 range. In Europe and slowly in UK this is becoming very common, here in the US not at all. EA can't even get the chargers in their headquarters in Sterling to work, believe me I have tried many times.

I have also executed many projects, and very few land exactly as specified. I can only imagine how much more complex this is in a car like the Taycan.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In one of my previous posts I indicated that I asked the sales rep at Porsche to contact the technical team to see if there will be any updates to achieve higher mileage; still waiting for an answer that I will gladly share. If in fact the TS would achieve 240-250 miles then there is nothing to discuss; its a winner!
Just out of curiosity what EV’s have you owned??

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have owned or own Tesla Roadster, original Nissan Leaf, BMW i3, BMW i8, Chevy Bolt and Jaguar I Pace. And now the Taycan.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I really have gotten most of those either because they are EVs or represent a unique and interesting new take on car design (like the i8).

I have a Turbo S, I mainly got it because it is electric (and I wanted to support Porsche) and I didn't need a daily driver, so wanted to see what the loaded one was like as my first Porsche. I am starting to get the "Porsche" driving experience. Each car designer is a little unique.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I really have gotten most of those either because they are EVs or represent a unique and interesting new take on car design (like the i8).

I have a Turbo S, I mainly got it because it is electric (and I wanted to support Porsche) and I didn't need a daily driver, so wanted to see what the loaded one was like as my first Porsche. I am starting to get the "Porsche" driving experience. Each car designer is a little unique.
Did you order it with INNODRIVE?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes I did and I am glad I did.
You know I am little confused and skeptical on what you are writing in this blog. You state that you have a Turbo S and in a previous post # 43 you state "I am not a Porsche owner, and I am not brand loyalist." So how is it that you have a TurboS????

·
Registered
144 Posts
Cool, so if I read this correctly you think I am either a troll or am bored enough to make things up. Got it. Your prerogative my friend.

Essentially I own many EVs and this one from Porsche is such a home run that it got me over my dislike of the brand and its image. Is that better? I was waiting on the Audio ETron GT (my preferred brand) but decided to go with the higher performance sibling from Porsche.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Honestly speaking its irrelevant what I think; its just a non sequitur. 2 days ago you didn't own anything and now a Turbo S +$200k. If you own one good for you but if you don't then you have to live with yourself.

·
Registered
144 Posts
@Barchetta: I know there is a lot of bs on the internet, but I have no idea where you are coming from. What do you mean I didn’t own anything? You know there are many great cars outside of Porsche brand right?

Is it because I am not a big fan of Porsche as a brand but actually like the Taycan as an electric car?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not at all ! Its the fact that you just can't walk into the showroom and buy one off the floor; theirs a waiting list a mile long. I put down a $2,500 deposit back in july at Penske Porsche and my car will only be available in August 2020 .

41 - 60 of 88 Posts