Porsche Taycan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Beware a lot of this info applies to small batteries and without any accounting for the margins that are built into EV batteries. They are never run to 100% and 0%, what you see as 100% maybe be 90 or 93% and 0% may be 9%. Also the management and cell design (and chemistry) impact all of these. There are extensive data collected by various EV owners. The original Leaf would show 10-20% degradation over 4-5 years in moderate climates, but Teslas and be were EVs with more aggressive thermal and battery charging management do not show nearly as much. If you are interested try to look around and you may find that some cars (including the Bolt) may show as little as 5% degradation over 50K miles.
Fair point, but then again this is not a regular Porsche. This car is the future of Porsche and can do things a 911 can not do. If we have a functioning infrastructure at high speed charging you could have stopped for 20 min, grabbed coffee and a rest and gotten there or back. So it may not be the right car for some, just like an ICE Porsche is not something I have ever been interested in in the past.
I don't know the difference between a volt and an amp, but a week ago I met with my salesman who had attended a Porsche meeting in Atlanta last month and he told me that the recommended charging level was 85%. And, from everything I've read, constant charging beyond that level has a significant negative impact on battery life.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think right now there is probably a lot of misinformation flying around. Nissan Leaf used to say that and they had an explicit saying, but they also had to have less margin in a small battery. Tesla has range and normal setting and in range they push the battery harder to its limits. This is not the case for Audio, Jaguar and from what I see Porsche. These companies leave more margin in the batteries so charging to ”100%” is not as stressful to the battery.

And in my opinion IF this is Porsche official position then there will be a setting that allows for the car to charge to 85%.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just saw that Porsche only uses 87% of the total capacity, it very well may be that your salesman misunderstood the rep explaining how that 100% charge is really only 85% of the total capacity as saying you should charge to 85%.

·
Super Moderator
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You're correct that Porsche doesn't allow full charging of the battery. They do this to protect the battery long term.

This should explain it... I've linked to the exact part in this video where he details the strategy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Barchetta, what kind of range would be ok before you have to charge? Just curious. Tesla overstates their real range by 30% typically, I believe the 200 is realistic range. No EV right now can do reliable 350, it would needeven bigger and heavier battery packs, or would have to be an eco efficiency box. A bolt could probably do 300 miles with a 90 kwhr battery of Taycan, but then you are driving a Bolt.
In my estimation in order ti make this not a day car it needs to be able to travel 200+ miles. Lucid states that it can achieve 400 miles with 750Kw; certainly remains to be seen but 198 miles is ridiculous.

·
Registered
91 Posts
In my estimation in order ti make this not a day car it needs to be able to travel 200+ miles. Lucid states that it can achieve 400 miles with 750Kw; certainly remains to be seen but 198 miles is ridiculous.
First of all do you mean 75KW? I will tell you I absolutely do not believe that is possible (400 miles). They are flat out lying. The Bolt can do 220 at 60 KW and it has made EVERY compromise for range (including narrow low rolling resistance tires, size, FWD, etc).

I would say the Porsche is then not the car for you. It was not designed for maximum range, it was designed to be a Porsche and a sporty one at that. It is a bit like saying my Ferrari can't get 40 mpg. Answer is get a Honda fit.

And honestly if you will need 200+ miles every day in all conditions there may be days you will fall slightly short unless you can do some charging during the day. You should look at the Max Range Model 3, I would not spend the money on the Model S.

·
Registered
31 Posts
First of all do you mean 75KW? I will tell you I absolutely do not believe that is possible (400 miles). They are flat out lying. The Bolt can do 220 at 60 KW and it has made EVERY compromise for range (including narrow low rolling resistance tires, size, FWD, etc).

I would say the Porsche is then not the car for you. It was not designed for maximum range, it was designed to be a Porsche and a sporty one at that. It is a bit like saying my Ferrari can't get 40 mpg. Answer is get a Honda fit.

And honestly if you will need 200+ miles every day in all conditions there may be days you will fall slightly short unless you can do some charging during the day. You should look at the Max Range Model 3, I would not spend the money on the Model S.
It is certainly your prerogative to believe/assume whatever you want. I take everyone with a grain of salt and having said that in my discussions with the Lucid people they said they will achieve it. Of course providing data nad actual testing are two different things. More importantly your missing a major factor in your thesis.
1. I have a deposit on a Turbo S
2. Porsche originally stated that the mileage/range was 321 miles.
3.Its not a questionn of driving 200 miles per day! You need to factor in the length of time it takes to charge the Taycan once you are reaching the range limitation ;its not sticking a gasoline nozzle and filling my Ferrari to full in 5 minutes. Nor waiting in the que for someone else to finish charging.
4 Its not a question of designing the porsche for max range! Even the techs and sales people at Porsche were greatly disappointed with the range that was given too them while they were in Atlanta.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is certainly your prerogative to believe/assume whatever you want. I take everyone with a grain of salt and having said that in my discussions with the Lucid people they said they will achieve it. Of course providing data nad actual testing are two different things. More importantly your missing a major factor in your thesis.
1. I have a deposit on a Turbo S
2. Porsche originally stated that the mileage/range was 321 miles.
3.Its not a questionn of driving 200 miles per day! You need to factor in the length of time it takes to charge the Taycan once you are reaching the range limitation ;its not sticking a gasoline nozzle and filling my Ferrari to full in 5 minutes. Nor waiting in the que for someone else to finish charging.
4 Its not a question of designing the porsche for max range! Even the techs and sales people at Porsche were greatly disappointed with the range that was given too them while they were in Atlanta.
very good points. I was told when I made my deposit that the car would have 300 mile range. I reserved a Turbo S. Now that we are looking at 200 mile range, I am pretty disappointed. I’m sorta turned off about the whole thing at this point....we haven’t even had a single Taycan delivered to dealerships in Illinois yet. And the ones that will eventually get here will be “demo” cars. The way it’s going, customer cars won’t be here until late spring early summer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
very good points. I was told when I made my deposit that the car would have 300 mile range. I reserved a Turbo S. Now that we are looking at 200 mile range, I am pretty disappointed. I’m sorta turned off about the whole thing at this point....we haven’t even had a single Taycan delivered to dealerships in Illinois yet. And the ones that will eventually get here will be “demo” cars. The way it’s going, customer cars won’t be here until late spring early summer.
Every bit of information I have it will be August/September

·
Registered
91 Posts
@Barchetta all good points. My point was simply that, if it doesn't fit your needs it won't work. Also as an engineer I know there are always design priorities that shape the entire project. I am guessing that range was not the design priority, and what little I know about Porsche that makes sense. So yes the final numbers may not have met the expectation, but that means they chose not to sacrifice other qualities.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Speaking of "what it looks like" . . . saw one today for the first time at my dealership. Unable to take it for a test drive (it's the owner's personal car), but it looks absolutely awesome both inside and out! Kinda awkward getting into it, though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I did a full test in range mode in 25-30 driving mostly highway at speeds of 40-70 and I ended up with a real range on 210 (projected). This was with preconditioning at start but full climate and gentle but not slow driving. And cold is bad conditions and this was Turbo S with least efficient wheels. In summer I’m guessing I’ll get 240 easy. So yes

·
Super Moderator
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Very interesting. So ABOVE the EPA estimates. Fascinating. And encouraging.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@Barchetta all good points. My point was simply that, if it doesn't fit your needs it won't work. Also as an engineer I know there are always design priorities that shape the entire project. I am guessing that range was not the design priority, and what little I know about Porsche that makes sense. So yes the final numbers may not have met the expectation, but that means they chose not to sacrifice other qualities.
Your statement is specious in nature. Porsche originally announced that they would have a 300+ mile range; that's a far cry from where we are now. Sow what was their design priority when they made the 300+ mile range announcement?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Your statement is specious in nature. Porsche originally announced that they would have a 300+ mile range; that's a far cry from where we are now. Sow what was their design priority when they made the 300+ mile range announcement?
I do have a question, I sense a little bit of a personal tone here, am I wrong?

You and I may disagree and I appreciate your viewpoint, but as an engineer I stand by what I said. In any design there are multiple design criteria throughout design/pre production. Then they are prioritized and refined. The announcement was probably before final changes, and would have generally been a good target. Obviously it was optimistic. I am guessing once everything is tweaked the real world range may be in the 240 range. So that is a 30% less than announced.

BTW I am pretty sure if you wanted to switch the tires to LRR variant you will immediately gained back 20% of the range at the expense of handling and safety.

·
Registered
91 Posts
And FWIW both Jaguar and Audi had almost exactly the same thing, they announced a higher range target then at final design and ratings didn't achieve it. Interestingly Jaguar just released a firmware for drivetrain with tweaked behaviour that is adding a real 20% to the range of the car in Eco mode. So they managed to claw some of the lost range back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did a full test in range mode in 25-30 driving mostly highway at speeds of 40-70 and I ended up with a real range on 210 (projected). This was with preconditioning at start but full climate and gentle but not slow driving. And cold is bad conditions and this was Turbo S with least efficient wheels. In summer I’m guessing I’ll get 240 easy. So yes
Let me once again make the statement that I am and will be an advocate for Porsche as I have owned 5 of them as well as deposit on the Taycan. The fundamental issuse are as follows;
1. Stated EPA range on TurboS
2. Length of time to charge.
3. Availability at the que for charging.
4. Price mileage
I have been in manufacturing all my life. Some where I have worked for a company and some that I owned in the 9 figure range and projections are just that projections with no conclusive data.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts