Taycan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I flew from Va to Melbourne FL to pick up my new Taycan Turbo that I ordered back in February. While the dealer offered to ship it I thought driving it back would be a good opportunity to get to know the car since this is my first EV.
After spending some time with the dealer going over the basics I started with a about a 90 percent charge to spend a couple of days for business in Orlando. The ride from Melbourne to Orlando was nice with the exception of nearly be hit head on with a shovel flying from a pick up truck on the 517. I swerved (or maybe the car helped) and avoided it. Once arriving in Orlando I tried to figure out how you take advantage of the 3 years (30min) charging. Eventually this is supposed to be part of the Porsche connect app however after digging around you have to use Porsche North America charging app. I went to the FL mall and charged to full from about 50 percent in 10 or 15 mins. All went OK, I spend the next couple of days in Orlando letting my friends drive the car. The look on peoples face is universal and funning when they hit the accelerator. Everyone giggles when it throws you back in the seat.
I decided to try to top of the charge in Orlando in my garage that only had 110. I left in plugged in from about 3 pm until the next morning and it got most of the way there however as I was told 110 is very very slow and it was.
I started my road trip early the next morning. I plugged in my final destination and it gave me the recommended charging stops as well as a faster route if I wanted to drive in range mode. Interesting that you can get some places faster by driving slower. However where's the fun in that so I choose to drive faster. After all it is a Porsche. I used the app to pick the Electrify America chargers that made sense. The Porsche PCM routed me to 10 min charges and a number of other things that technically where probably optimal but not really practical. I planned my first stop in Jacksonville that would leave me with about a 30 percent charge when I got there. I think you can push your range a bit more however I wanted to be a bit more conservative till I got some real world experience. I set the InnoDrive and was on my way. It was a little annoying as when it detects a change in speed limit it slows you down to that level imeditly. There my be some options to turn that off but going from 70 down to 50 can be a bit abrupt. That said it may not be a bad thing as the car is very quit (and very fast) and if you don't have your eye on the speed limit and are not using the InnoDrive you can get going really fast and not realize it. I caught myself over 100 a couple of times with hardly realizing it.
I typically would use Waze and CarPlay for navigation, music etc. The interaction between the PCM and CarPlay is a little different and a little more complicated than is what in my other cars. Phone call handoffs were not 100 percent. That said it work and at this point I didn't find many bugs as I would expect. (CarPlay still has some work to do as it still has some issues). Prior to leaving Jacksonville I planned my next stop. It seemed the super charger in Pooler GA would work just fine and get me there with 25 to 30 percent left.
I made my way up the road. Interesting that many of the current locations are a couple miles off 95 and many of them in the South east are in the far end of a Wall Mart parking lot. I was able to walk over to a Ruby Tuesdays and get a quick "social distance" lunch and the car was easily charge full when I returned. I planned my next stop for Florence SC (technically the half way point). Traffic was light so I was able to get there quickly (maybe not efficiently) and found the next Wall Mart parking lot. I rolled into Florence about 3:00 pm The Electrify station required me to plug in and un plug a couple of times before it would work correctly. This was to become a reoccurring theme and one of the biggest annoyances however once charging commenced it worked quickly giving me time to run into Wall Mart grab some car wash supplied and a couple of other items. When I returned it was ready to go. I planned my next stop for Rocky Mount North Carolina. Feeling a intel more confident it projected I would arrive with about 15 percent charge. After about an hour driving in normal mode I switched to range mode and kept it below 80 (Interesting because I thought it limited you to 70). Needless to say my estimated charge at arrival move from 15% to almost 20. When I got to Rocky Mount I had 19% left. This is were the fun began. After several plug and unplugs the charger would not commence charging. I called the customer service number on the charging unit and the they rebooted the unit. I probably could have use a properly operating 150 charger and saved myself some time. The Electrify support rep was very good. Prompt, courteous and capable so that took a lot of the sting off the poor operation of the equipment.
This time the chargers was at a Sheetz gas convenience stop so I got a bite to eat. It was 7:30 by this time and I had some work to do. I was about 220 miles from home and figured I would need to stop on additional time between Rock Mount and home in The Plains, VA (northern VA). I decided the best coarse would be finish my work and my calls and then get an early start the next morning. I checked into the Homewood suites finished my work and took off about 6:30 am the next morning. I managed to make my way to the Wall Mart in Richmond. Unfortunately one charger was completely off line and the other high speed charger did not work. After many plug, unplug and reboots from customer service I was forced to use the 150 charger which while not as fast got the job done. I made it back to my Farm in The Plains about 2 hours later with 50 percent left.
I'm not planning on any more long road trips with the Taycan however this was a great way to learn about the car and EVs in general.
Porsche has done an amazing job engineering a
truly great car

·
Registered
148 Posts
Good job battling with the chargers.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Last week I flew from Va to Melbourne FL to pick up my new Taycan Turbo that I ordered back in February. While the dealer offered to ship it I thought driving it back would be a good opportunity to get to know the car since this is my first EV.
After spending some time with the dealer going over the basics I started with a about a 90 percent charge to spend a couple of days for business in Orlando. The ride from Melbourne to Orlando was nice with the exception of nearly be hit head on with a shovel flying from a pick up truck on the 517. I swerved (or maybe the car helped) and avoided it. Once arriving in Orlando I tried to figure out how you take advantage of the 3 years (30min) charging. Eventually this is supposed to be part of the Porsche connect app however after digging around you have to use Porsche North America charging app. I went to the FL mall and charged to full from about 50 percent in 10 or 15 mins. All went OK, I spend the next couple of days in Orlando letting my friends drive the car. The look on peoples face is universal and funning when they hit the accelerator. Everyone giggles when it throws you back in the seat.
I decided to try to top of the charge in Orlando in my garage that only had 110. I left in plugged in from about 3 pm until the next morning and it got most of the way there however as I was told 110 is very very slow and it was.
I started my road trip early the next morning. I plugged in my final destination and it gave me the recommended charging stops as well as a faster route if I wanted to drive in range mode. Interesting that you can get some places faster by driving slower. However where's the fun in that so I choose to drive faster. After all it is a Porsche. I used the app to pick the Electrify America chargers that made sense. The Porsche PCM routed me to 10 min charges and a number of other things that technically where probably optimal but not really practical. I planned my first stop in Jacksonville that would leave me with about a 30 percent charge when I got there. I think you can push your range a bit more however I wanted to be a bit more conservative till I got some real world experience. I set the InnoDrive and was on my way. It was a little annoying as when it detects a change in speed limit it slows you down to that level imeditly. There my be some options to turn that off but going from 70 down to 50 can be a bit abrupt. That said it may not be a bad thing as the car is very quit (and very fast) and if you don't have your eye on the speed limit and are not using the InnoDrive you can get going really fast and not realize it. I caught myself over 100 a couple of times with hardly realizing it.
I typically would use Waze and CarPlay for navigation, music etc. The interaction between the PCM and CarPlay is a little different and a little more complicated than is what in my other cars. Phone call handoffs were not 100 percent. That said it work and at this point I didn't find many bugs as I would expect. (CarPlay still has some work to do as it still has some issues). Prior to leaving Jacksonville I planned my next stop. It seemed the super charger in Pooler GA would work just fine and get me there with 25 to 30 percent left.
I made my way up the road. Interesting that many of the current locations are a couple miles off 95 and many of them in the South east are in the far end of a Wall Mart parking lot. I was able to walk over to a Ruby Tuesdays and get a quick "social distance" lunch and the car was easily charge full when I returned. I planned my next stop for Florence SC (technically the half way point). Traffic was light so I was able to get there quickly (maybe not efficiently) and found the next Wall Mart parking lot. I rolled into Florence about 3:00 pm The Electrify station required me to plug in and un plug a couple of times before it would work correctly. This was to become a reoccurring theme and one of the biggest annoyances however once charging commenced it worked quickly giving me time to run into Wall Mart grab some car wash supplied and a couple of other items. When I returned it was ready to go. I planned my next stop for Rocky Mount North Carolina. Feeling a intel more confident it projected I would arrive with about 15 percent charge. After about an hour driving in normal mode I switched to range mode and kept it below 80 (Interesting because I thought it limited you to 70). Needless to say my estimated charge at arrival move from 15% to almost 20. When I got to Rocky Mount I had 19% left. This is were the fun began. After several plug and unplugs the charger would not commence charging. I called the customer service number on the charging unit and the they rebooted the unit. I probably could have use a properly operating 150 charger and saved myself some time. The Electrify support rep was very good. Prompt, courteous and capable so that took a lot of the sting off the poor operation of the equipment.
This time the chargers was at a Sheetz gas convenience stop so I got a bite to eat. It was 7:30 by this time and I had some work to do. I was about 220 miles from home and figured I would need to stop on additional time between Rock Mount and home in The Plains, VA (northern VA). I decided the best coarse would be finish my work and my calls and then get an early start the next morning. I checked into the Homewood suites finished my work and took off about 6:30 am the next morning. I managed to make my way to the Wall Mart in Richmond. Unfortunately one charger was completely off line and the other high speed charger did not work. After many plug, unplug and reboots from customer service I was forced to use the 150 charger which while not as fast got the job done. I made it back to my Farm in The Plains about 2 hours later with 50 percent left.
I'm not planning on any more long road trips with the Taycan however this was a great way to learn about the car and EVs in general.
Porsche has done an amazing job engineering a View attachment 1949 truly great car
Congrats on your Turbo .. the paint job + sport package looks stunning. Thanks for the heads-up on the Charging App for the Taycan as I will need it for my own "shake-down roadtrip" from L.A. PEC delivery experience back up to OR in July.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep,
Clear bra and then the whole car in ceramic.
Is the car wrap thing worth it? My dealer was pushing it hard but it added $2000+ to the cost. I picked up my car last week but I guess can have the wrap added later... Started ownership with a long road trip (and may have one more 12 hr road trip - that or shipping the car) - otherwise just using for short distance commuting. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I added clear bra onall my cars it’s very important for Porche and other sports cars that have a low front hood because you’ll catch a lot of rocks and bugs and end up with a lot of paint chips. for overall paint protection I would recommend a ceramic coating both relatively expensive but well worth the price. You may save a little bit by going outside the dealer as there are some reputable people who provide these services. You should have it done relatively soon because if you wait too long the protection doesn’t go on as well

·
Registered
608 Posts
Kudos to you for doing that trip as your first drive with an EV. I'd be pretty nervous doing that. What was the car like to drive for such a long trip.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured it was the best way to learn about the range and charging infrastructure. ”trial by fire” if you will.
The car is amazingly comfortable for a long trip. That said it sort of forces you every 3+ hours to take a break and charge It. The Innodrive worked very well moving along RT 95.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Porsche has done an amazing job engineering a View attachment 1949 truly great car
What a great summary. Thanks. It seems through all these experiences we’ve been having that America really isn’t ready for EVs, not until the charger networks are homogeneous and totally trustworthy. It’ll be a while for that to happen.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
879 Posts
I haven't made any road tips yet so I've been using the same EA charging station. My only issue to date is one charger was out of service although I could not tell until I plugged in and nothing happened. After reporting it to EA I move to another charger and everything worked fine. In July I will be going on a Porsche Tour which will encompass 236 miles round trip so I may have to test the charging stations away from home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts