Taycan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My order is 25 days before production locks it in! Thanks to the group here to help me make choices on the options. The final configuration is The Porsche Code

Of course many are personal preferences, but do you see anything obvious or concerning that I may or maynot have selected?

Thanks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Depending on where you live you might enjoy ventilated front seats ( I think that may force you into the 14 way seats ). I find Lane Change Assistant and rear axle steering helpful too. I skipped the storage option and got a sun glasses tray from Amazon.

·
Registered
2012 Cayenne S | 2020 Taycan Turbo
8 Posts
My order is 25 days before production locks it in! Thanks to the group here to help me make choices on the options. The final configuration is The Porsche Code

Of course many are personal preferences, but do you see anything obvious or concerning that I may or maynot have selected?

Thanks!

Thanks!
The Taycan you've configured is, in terms of its color combination and wheels, much like my 2020 Taycan Turbo so I think what you are getting looks very, very good! My Taycan is the same Volcano Grey paint. The interior is a bit different than yours -mine is Basalt Black and Atacama Beige and my wheels are the 20" Turbo Aero Wheels.

I think you've made a great wheel choice - - they look really good, and the 19' wheels will give you taller sidewalls on the tires which will give you a bit smoother ride than what you'd get on 20" wheels. Your choice of the Surround View for $1,200 is also an excellent choice IMHO - - I find that feature extremely useful and I appreciate having it every day.

I have two suggested options I would strongly encourage you to add and I also have suggestions for items you could drop to fund these two additions if you are strongly committed to keeping to the price point you are currently looking at.

The two items I strongly suggest you add to your build are: 1. Interior Accents in Neodyme ($650) and 2. Adaptive Air Suspension incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management ($2,200).

The Interior Accents in Neodyme (which is a golden color) will really add an attractive and upscale touch to your black and beige interior.
I know this for sure because my Taycan has this. The golden accents will be on your steering wheel trim, on the air vent frames on the front dash, on the drive selector switch, around the two front cup holders and along the front doors including the door handles. I cannot describe how much better your interior will look with this accent trim and for a cost of $650 this is an absolute no-brainer. If you do nothing else to change your build please add this.

The adaptive air suspension will give you two important benefits: 1. A much, much, much smoother ride when you are cruising along and not driving the car hard (The air suspension delivers a superior ride than does the standard steel spring suspension). 2. The ability to raise the height of the vehicle and make use of the Taycan’s "Smart Lift" capability which can automatically raise the car when it is approaching a place (like a high curb) that you've programmed into the PCM. Raising the car will help you avoid hitting a curb with the very low nose of your Taycan.

What I'm recommending would cost you $2,850. The options I think you could cut/change in order to fund the two additions I’m recommending are as follows:

1. Save $530 by deleting the Front and Rear Heated Seats.
Unless you’re frequently going to have rear seat passengers, I bet you’d be just fine with the Front Heated Seats which come standard on the Taycan.

2. Save $1,200 by deleting the upgraded Bose Sound System. Unless you’re an audiophile I’d think you’d be quite happy with the 150 watt / 10 speaker sound system that comes standard on the Taycan.

3. Save $1,560 by deleting the Porsche InnoDrive option and adding the Adaptive Cruise Control in it’s place. I use the Adaptive Cruise Control every day and it is great. For me, the additional functionalities offered by the InnoDrive that are over and above the Adaptive Cruise Control are of ZERO value to me. And worse, when the InnoDrive system is turned on, if you are driving on secondary or tertiary roads when there is insufficient data available to the InnoDrive system, you cannot use the cruise control at all - - InnoDrive won’t let you invoke it. This is a major negative of the InnoDrive system IMHO.

If you were to take my recommended additions and deletions then, if I used the Porsche Car Configurator correctly, the price of your Taycan would drop slightly from $100,530 to $100,090.

I also have suggestions for three other options that I would add to make your Taycan SIGNIFICANTLY better without breaking the bank (added cost ranging between +$1,320 and +$10,540) but, since this is already a very long post, I won’t get into that now. If you might want to spend a bit more to have an even more amazing Taycan, just post a reply to let me know and I will post again with my recommendations and the rationale for why I recommend you consider adding each of the three options.

Although this is a very long post, I hope it is helpful to you.

P.S. One last thought - - All Season Tires are a no-cost option to the standard Summer Performance Tires. Maybe you want to change your order for the All Season Tires??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@PorscheGuyFrom AZ I can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply to my post! This is very helpful. I am curious to know what other changes you recommend. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Taycan you've configured is, in terms of its color combination and wheels, much like my 2020 Taycan Turbo so I think what you are getting looks very, very good! My Taycan is the same Volcano Grey paint. The interior is a bit different than yours -mine is Basalt Black and Atacama Beige and my wheels are the 20" Turbo Aero Wheels.

I think you've made a great wheel choice - - they look really good, and the 19' wheels will give you taller sidewalls on the tires which will give you a bit smoother ride than what you'd get on 20" wheels. Your choice of the Surround View for $1,200 is also an excellent choice IMHO - - I find that feature extremely useful and I appreciate having it every day.

I have two suggested options I would strongly encourage you to add and I also have suggestions for items you could drop to fund these two additions if you are strongly committed to keeping to the price point you are currently looking at.

The two items I strongly suggest you add to your build are: 1. Interior Accents in Neodyme ($650) and 2. Adaptive Air Suspension incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management ($2,200).

The Interior Accents in Neodyme (which is a golden color) will really add an attractive and upscale touch to your black and beige interior.
I know this for sure because my Taycan has this. The golden accents will be on your steering wheel trim, on the air vent frames on the front dash, on the drive selector switch, around the two front cup holders and along the front doors including the door handles. I cannot describe how much better your interior will look with this accent trim and for a cost of $650 this is an absolute no-brainer. If you do nothing else to change your build please add this.

The adaptive air suspension will give you two important benefits: 1. A much, much, much smoother ride when you are cruising along and not driving the car hard (The air suspension delivers a superior ride than does the standard steel spring suspension). 2. The ability to raise the height of the vehicle and make use of the Taycan’s "Smart Lift" capability which can automatically raise the car when it is approaching a place (like a high curb) that you've programmed into the PCM. Raising the car will help you avoid hitting a curb with the very low nose of your Taycan.

What I'm recommending would cost you $2,850. The options I think you could cut/change in order to fund the two additions I’m recommending are as follows:

1. Save $530 by deleting the Front and Rear Heated Seats.
Unless you’re frequently going to have rear seat passengers, I bet you’d be just fine with the Front Heated Seats which come standard on the Taycan.

2. Save $1,200 by deleting the upgraded Bose Sound System. Unless you’re an audiophile I’d think you’d be quite happy with the 150 watt / 10 speaker sound system that comes standard on the Taycan.

3. Save $1,560 by deleting the Porsche InnoDrive option and adding the Adaptive Cruise Control in it’s place. I use the Adaptive Cruise Control every day and it is great. For me, the additional functionalities offered by the InnoDrive that are over and above the Adaptive Cruise Control are of ZERO value to me. And worse, when the InnoDrive system is turned on, if you are driving on secondary or tertiary roads when there is insufficient data available to the InnoDrive system, you cannot use the cruise control at all - - InnoDrive won’t let you invoke it. This is a major negative of the InnoDrive system IMHO.

If you were to take my recommended additions and deletions then, if I used the Porsche Car Configurator correctly, the price of your Taycan would drop slightly from $100,530 to $100,090.

I also have suggestions for three other options that I would add to make your Taycan SIGNIFICANTLY better without breaking the bank (added cost ranging between +$1,320 and +$10,540) but, since this is already a very long post, I won’t get into that now. If you might want to spend a bit more to have an even more amazing Taycan, just post a reply to let me know and I will post again with my recommendations and the rationale for why I recommend you consider adding each of the three options.

Although this is a very long post, I hope it is helpful to you.

P.S. One last thought - - All Season Tires are a no-cost option to the standard Summer Performance Tires. Maybe you want to change your order for the All Season Tires??
@PorscheGuyFrom AZ I can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply to my post! This is very helpful. I am curious to know what other changes you recommend. Thanks!
I would love to hear his thoughts too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m happy to share my additional thoughts. While there are probably at least 6 additional options that would make your Taycan a better vehicle, in the spirit of being very selective, I have three recommended additions which I think you should strongly consider adding to the Taycan you will soon have built to order.

In my mind, all three are of the “would really, really want you to have” variety but none are essential if you want or need to keep the price down. In order of increasing cost my three recommendations are:

1. Add the Thermally and Noise Insulated Glass (cost = $1,130). My Taycan, which has this option, is unbelievably quiet. It’s so quiet that it doesn’t sound like I’m driving a car - - the cabin is so quiet it’s like I’m piloting some sort of futuristic hovercraft. I’ve test driven just about every other EV out there and none are nearly as quiet as mine. I really enjoy the whisper quiet cabin and feel this benefit is well worth the cost.

2. Add the Sport Chrono Package (cost = $1,320). To help achieve a lower price point Porsche, in what I think is poor thinking, eliminated having a Chronograph/Clock on the top center of the dashboard of the Taycan and Taycan 4S. Every Porsche I’ve ever seen has this on its center dashboard and, without it, the standard Taycan and Taycan 4S simply don’t look like a Porsche. I feel like the Taycan simply isn’t an authentic Porsche with out it. Adding the Sport Chrono Package will get you a Chronograph/Clock on the top off the Dashboard as well as 2 other important features: 1. A Drive Mode Selector Knob on the Steering Wheel which will enable you to easily and quickly switch between the Taycan’s drive modes - - Range, Normal, Sport and Individual (Without the Sport Chrono’s Drive Mode Selector Knob, changing between Drive Modes is a bit of a cumbersome task requiring 3 different taps on the PCM screen to select the drive mode and then 2 more taps to return to the screen you previously had on the PCM. All this screen tapping is not safe if you are changing Drive Modes while you are in motion) . 2. You’ll have an additional Drive Mode - - Sport Plus which will give you a bit more performance than does the Sport mode.

3. Upgrade To A Full Leather Interior (additional cost of either $4,700 or $6,490 depending on which of the two Black and Beige alternatives you choose). The “Standard” interior on the Taycan and Taycan 4S has leather only on the front facing parts of the seats. Everything else (dashboard, doors, armrests, center console armrest, etc.) is a synthetic material. In my opinion these synthetic surfaces don’t look or feel nice enough for a vehicle that costs as much as a Taycan does. I don’t think it makes any sense to be buying a prestigious vehicle like a Porsche and not having a fully leather cabin - - especially if you are already paying $100K or more.

If you do upgrade to a full leather interior, included within the Full Leather Package are 14-way Power Seats with Memory. The Memory Feature will be very useful if your vehicle will be having multiple drivers.

So which of the Black and Beige full leather interiors should you choose? I wouldn’t let price drive the decision. IMHO the decision should come down to visual appeal. The two beige colors aren’t all that different. The biggest difference in the two choices are the colors of the doors. In the less expensive alternative, the doors are almost entirely beige in color while in the other alternative the doors are mostly black with only the armrests being beige in color. My personal preference is the doors being mostly black with just the armrests being beige. If you go into the Porsche Car Configurator you can easily see the difference in the doors and see which you like better. What you won’t be able to see in the Car Configurator is that the Basalt Black in the more expensive option is a much darker, richer looking black than in the other alternative. With the deeper black the color contrast with the beige is even more dramatic and is more appealing to my eyes. The last major difference between the two alternatives is that the more expensive option has softer beige leather on the seats and they look significantly more luxurious IMHO than do the seats of the Black and Limestone Beige alternative.

In case you were to decide to take all three of my recommendations, I went ahead and created two Porsche Car Codes - - one for the Black and Limestone Beige alternative (MSRP = $108,750) and the other for the Basalt Black and Atacama Beige alternative (MSRP = $110,540). Here they are:

With Basalt Black and Atacama Beige Full Leather Interior: (MSRP $110,540)
The Porsche Code

With Black and Limestone Beige Full Leather Interior: (MSRP $108,750)
The Porsche Code

I realize that these recommendations may put the cost of hew Taycan at a price that is above what you feel comfortable with so choose which, if any, of the three options you feel comfortable with. If price is a strong factor I’d still like to see you go for the Sport Chrono Package so that you have ease of changings driving mode while speeding along whatever roads you are on and your Taycan will look like a genuine Porsche with the Chronometer/Clock on the top center of the dashboard.

And before you reject my recommendation for a full leather interior, if you haven’t already done so, go to your Porsche dealer and see if thay have in stock either MAcaans or Cayennes bth with and without the full leather interior. If they do, please compare the look of the top of the dashboard and the door tops and door armrests. Once you do, I think you’ll see why I feel the full leather is much better and the way to go.

Best of luck to you with making your final decision. And remember, whatever you do, you are getting an amazing vehicle so there are really no bad choices to be made.

P.S. Once you have finalized your build I would be most curious to see what you decided in the end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I placed an order in July for 2021 model. I have a delivery date of 31st March 2022, but it will be 2022 model. I'll have to reselect my options at some point due to the model change, but have no idea when. Will definitely be making some changes based on your recommendations. Any chance you could upload a picture of your interior pretty please. Would really like to see the trim.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the detailed reply. I was predicting you might recommend the rear wheel steering option as well since many folks here are recommending it for better handling. I do like the idea of Chrono. I'm currently leaning towards spending on performance options given its a Porsche.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I placed an order in July for 2021 model. I have a delivery date of 31st March 2022, but it will be 2022 model. I'll have to reselect my options at some point due to the model change, but have no idea when. Will definitely be making some changes based on your recommendations. Any chance you could upload a picture of your interior pretty please. Would really like to see the trim.
Yes - I can upload photos once I figure out how to do that on this forum. I will do that. Also, I’ve had an additional money saving thought for you to consider.

If you are 100% sure on the Volcano Grey Metallic exterior, and you are not selecting the Premium Package, you should consider not having the Panoramic Roof which would save you over $1,400.

I make this suggestion for two reasons. The first reason is that the front seat passengers don’t actually see the panoramic roof from any normal front seating position (the front edge of the panoramic glass is just about directly above the drivers head so, IMHO, the only people who benefit from the panoramic roof are rear seat passengers.). I suppose the panoramic roof does make the interior of the cabin a bit brighter during daylight hours but, for me, the panoramic roof is of almost zero value to me.

The second reason is the tint color of the panoramic glass is almost an exact match with the Volcanic Grey Metallic exterior paint. From the outside of the vehicle, unless you know it is there and are specifically looking for it, you really don’t see the panoramic roof at all. Without exception, every single passenger who has sat in my Taycan has expressed surprise to see that there is a Panoramic roof once they see it from the inside of the cabin.

if you did decide to save $$$ by deleting the Panoramic Roof, I would then have one final recommended additional option - - Front Ventilated Seats. I recommend this for two reasons. First, I simply think that no vehicle costing $100K or more should be without them. Second, if you drive in a hot weather climate (or in an area that does have some very Summer days) I think ventilated seats are all but essential.

Anyway, give me a bit of time to figure out how to upload photos and I’ll do that for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok - trying to upload photos of my interior. Sorry but they were taken this morning in my garage so the lighting is less than ideal. As a reminder this is the Basalt Black and Atacama Beige interior. The seats are the OLEA Club Leather. The Basalt Black and Atacama Beige interior includes Neodyme Accents which are a matte golden color. The accents are on the steering wheel, around the two front cup holders, around the front AC vents, on the door opening handles and along each of the four doors above the beige strips. The leather is of very high quality, the Basalt Black is deeper and richer looking than the "other" Blacks in the other interior options and I love the color contrast between the very dark Black and the Beige.
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design
Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle
Vehicle Speedometer Car Motor vehicle Plant
Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Gadget
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Vehicle registration plate
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire Steering wheel
Automotive design Motor vehicle Car seat cover Head restraint Car
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Window Automotive design

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the detailed reply. I was predicting you might recommend the rear wheel steering option as well since many folks here are recommending it for better handling. I do like the idea of Chrono. I'm currently leaning towards spending on performance options given its a Porsche.
Hello again AI2020. Neither of my Porsche vehicles have rear wheel steering so I can't give you any opinion that would be based on my direct experience. Every other recommendation I've made has been influenced by my direct experience so I won't comment on the rear wheel steering option. What I can tell you is that my Taycan feels very, very responsive as equipped and it handles incredibly well despite its weight of more than 5,100 pounds.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello again AI2020. Neither of my Porsche vehicles have rear wheel steering so I can't give you any opinion that would be based on my direct experience. Every other recommendation I've made has been influenced by my direct experience so I won't comment on the rear wheel steering option. What I can tell you is that my Taycan feels very, very responsive as equipped and it handles incredibly well despite its weight of more than 5,100 pounds.
Rear wheel steering is a very useful handling improvement....I have it and highly recommend it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts