Porsche Taycan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the latest:

"What I have been told per my rep.. these new packs have been optimized for energy consumption & some other updates. I do not know if these are actual pack or just updates. My rep is getting more info in the next few days/weeks"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Seriously? I will give you 99-1 than Porsche does not release their first EV and then after a few months, releases an 'improved' battery back with more range. Too good to be true for those of us who haven't ordered, and a nightmare for those that already bought a car. Just not possible.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I want to know if this is a change affecting only Turbo production or if the 4S is also getting a revised piece of hardware.

Us early adopters expect that hardware will improve over time, especially when you're buying a brand's first-of-its-kind product like this, but I would not be pleased to take an additional depreciation hit so soon. I'd expect hardware updates in 2 model years from now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This may not be battery pack related at all, but updated drivertrain firmware that improves the range. This may already be installed in newer units and may be retrofitted to existing ones but SOTA or dealer. Jaguar did this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
1. new battery pack has been confirmed by my Porsche Rep at Bellevue Porsche. The pack is more optimized for energy consumption with the by-product of gaining more range. All U.S Taycan allocations (Turbo/Turbo S/4S) currently awaiting build and delivery will be benefiting of this new pack

2. it is unclear, per my rep, if the new pack is hardware or software, am awaiting more details from my rep in the coming days/weeks. Factory info share/drip feed to actual dealerships has been a bottleneck but my rep always come thru with accurate info that i shared here in this forum and on twitter.

3. can confirm that the referenced tweet mentioned by @St00k is me. and in the past info shared by me here in the forum have held true and sourced by my Porsche rep since my beginning of my Taycan saga.

·
Super Moderator
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks @TaycanDude I was going to @ you but couldn't remember your name on the forum. I knew it was something obvious... haha.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks @TaycanDude. I'm eager to read updates from you. Sounds like you have a helpful rep.
I have known my Rep and done biz with him for over 10yrs.. Porsche owner until Tesla ownership and back to Porsche for the Taycan. My Rep has been very helpful since my waitlist placement and return to Porsche with info share as much as he can/could. Scheduled to take delivery of a Taycan Turbo in June as well as my on waitlist/deposit for the Cross Turismo

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have known my Rep and done biz with him for over 10yrs.. Porsche owner until Tesla ownership and back to Porsche for the Taycan. My Rep has been very helpful since my waitlist placement and return to Porsche with info share as much as he can/could. Scheduled to take delivery of a Taycan Turbo in June as well as my on waitlist/deposit for the Cross Turismo
Sounds like a great rep, great relationship, but there is absolutely zero chance that Porsche will be using a 'new battery pack' for all cars awaiting build. It would be an absolute disaster for Porsche customer relations. What are you going to tell all your most loyal customers that put their money down early, waited and paid for the car, and now you've just made it obsolete before it's even been fully released. Never will happen. It is possible that they have some kind of software update that they plan on installing that can be retrofitted to existing vehicles, but no way they have improved the battery pack hardware.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like a great rep, great relationship, but there is absolutely zero chance that Porsche will be using a 'new battery pack' for all cars awaiting build. It would be an absolute disaster for Porsche customer relations. What are you going to tell all your most loyal customers that put their money down early, waited and paid for the car, and now you've just made it obsolete before it's even been fully released. Never will happen. It is possible that they have some kind of software update that they plan on installing that can be retrofitted to existing vehicles, but no way they have improved the battery pack hardware.
It's possible he's getting this mixed up with 'mobile charger plus', which is not available until June, but this is just a more economically efficient charging system for your home, and you can retrofit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Obsolete! Really? I think when you buy into new technology you can expect changes as time goes on. Keep in mind that Porsche is competing with a software/hardware company (Tesla) that makes it part of its business model to improve its technology in existing products as well as in new products. if Porsche just keeps making the same car for a 4-year refresh cycle, it will get left in the dust. Imagine what that would do for Porsche's image? If you were happily buying a car with 200+ miles of range, what makes you unhappy now that the next revision gives 225 or 240 miles of range? If you want the latest and greatest in this game, best to sit on the sidelines for a few years until things shake out.

·
Super Moderator
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bob Rae ... is that really you? I thought you were more red than orange now... lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
1. knowing Porsche and knowing my rep.. Porsche will find a way to retrofit all current Taycans already sold and in hands of owners, if tesla can swap a battery pack, expect Porsche to be able to do as well .. if it is indeed HW vs. SW

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's possible he's getting this mixed up with 'mobile charger plus', which is not available until June, but this is just a more economically efficient charging system for your home, and you can retrofit.
no.. I am not getting it mixed up with the mobile charger that will be only available after June. This is specific to the Taycan's battery pack. My rep used the words "new enhanced battery pack"

·
Registered
107 Posts
Let’s be real here: Tesla has done some updates to drivetrain over the years, but no magic fixes outside of releases increased capacity. The fundamental design of the model S has not change much, and is in fact getting dated. The interior is just one piece of software, and yes it gets updates much more regularly than other car makers.

But that’s really about it. They are improving drivetrain by software at times, but lately so are other manufacturers. The main “trick” has been that Tesla does over the air updates and tends to release updates more frequently. this can be good or bad, as it is not as fully backed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let’s be real here: Tesla has done some updates to drivetrain over the years, but no magic fixes outside of releases increased capacity. The fundamental design of the model S has not change much, and is in fact getting dated. The interior is just one piece of software, and yes it gets updates much more regularly than other car makers.

But that’s really about it. They are improving drivetrain by software at times, but lately so are other manufacturers. The main “trick” has been that Tesla does over the air updates and tends to release updates more frequently. this can be good or bad, as it is not as fully backed.
Tesla has managed to optimized its BMS, drivetrain efficiencies, battery cells, ect .. the difference between Tesla and Porsche or for that matter all the other EU brands and their EVs, is that Tesla unlocks 100% of its battery packs for its range vs Taycan, Audi e-tron, Ipace, EQC, which use front and backend buffers in order to support battery safety/longevity and fast charging. Porsche can always mess around with its drivetrain configs and OTA updates accordingly just like tesla. Hardware wise Porsche will not stop improving. The Taycan is already scheduled for a "refresh" in 3yrs. battery pack/tech will continue to be improved by Porsche and others.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I heard back from my dealer rep this morning. They're saying there is no new battery pack coming and that anything mentioning a new pack is an unfounded rumor. If someone at Porsche is reading this forum (as there should be), please communicate an official statement to us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I heard back from my dealer rep this morning. They're saying there is no new battery pack coming and that anything mentioning a new pack is an unfounded rumor. If someone at Porsche is reading this forum (as there should be), please communicate an official statement to us.
I trust my rep .. hasnt led me astray in info share about the Taycan since my waitlist placement at dealership

1 - 20 of 50 Posts