Taycan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
while everyone on the Tesla side of the aisle are foaming at their mouths on this "news".. very little details if any are available .. not even in the news in FL itself .. which should be news worthy of itself imo... wait and see what the facts are

·
Super Moderator
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Porsche has confirmed that it is a Taycan in those images.

"Thankfully, there were no reported injuries. The investigation just started, so there’s not much more information to provide. " - Calvin Kim, Porsche Taycan Product Spokesperson

porsche taycan fire florida

The original story from Electrek is below:

A Porsche Taycan electric car caught on fire at a residence in Florida yesterday, leading to significant damage to the house and a complete loss of the car.
After launching the Taycan late last year, the German premium automaker started deliveries in December, with the first 130 cars in the US.

Now we learn that one of those Taycan premium sedans has caught on fire and burned down a garage in South Florida on February 16.

Not many details are known at this time, but images of the aftermath were posted on social media showing that the electric car was burned down to the some parts of the frame, and the garage sustained significant damages:

Locals on Twitter who have videos of the aftermath are not sharing details in order to protect the identity of the owner, but they claim that the vehicle “exploded” inside the garage.

We reached out to Porsche to get more details.

The automaker confirmed to Electrek that they are aware of the incident and that no one was hurt.

At this point, Porsche says that it is too early to speculate about the cause, but they are investigating the situation. A Porsche spokesperson told Electrek that it is the first reported instance of a fire involving a Taycan.

Electrek’s Take
We’re glad that no one was hurt. At least physically, because it must hurt emotionally to see your brand-new $150,000+ car and garage being destroyed like that.

Electric car fires often get a lot of attention from the mainstream media, despite the fact that they happen far less frequently than gasoline car fires.

Fires involving Tesla vehicles in particular get a lot of coverage, and they do appear to be more frequent than other electric vehicles, but it’s mainly due to the fact that Tesla has a lot more EVs on the road than any other automakers.

In terms of the Taycan, what is more worrying is that there are currently very few of them on the road, and one already caught on fire.

However, I think it’s too early to panic here. A lot of different things could have happened to cause the fire, and some of them would have nothing to do with the car itself.

We will keep monitoring the situation, and we will update when we get more details.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Do we have any electricians on the forum, or anyone aware of best practices to mitigate the likelihood of an electrical fire related to a home EVSE? If the cause of the fire was the Taycan itself, then there isn't much you can do, but if the cause was related to the home wiring, what should I look for, or request my electrician to inspect?

In the event of a car fire in a garage, how is this covered by insurance? Does the claim go under the auto policy or homeowner's policy?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do we have any electricians on the forum, or anyone aware of best practices to mitigate the likelihood of an electrical fire related to a home EVSE? If the cause of the fire was the Taycan itself, then there isn't much you can do, but if the cause was related to the home wiring, what should I look for, or request my electrician to inspect?

In the event of a car fire in a garage, how is this covered by insurance? Does the claim go under the auto policy or homeowner's policy?
As long as one or the other pays, who cares?

·
Registered
102 Posts
As long as one or the other pays, who cares?
It would be nice peace of mind to better understand the process in this scenario so that I can review my auto and homeowners coverages to ensure that I'd have sufficient coverage and the right coverage.

Let me tell you a story. I have a friend who bought a new home in a development in Houston. This was sometime in 2015-2016, more than a year before hurricane Harvey. The home developer didn't recommend getting flood insurance, and none of his new neighbors did. I think you know where this is going.

His house was destroyed in the flooding, and so were his neighbors. Guess who was the only guy with flood insurance on the entire street? It pays to understand your insurance coverages, and think carefully about the risks you may be undertaking, even if they seem remote.

The story of this fire today is a warning to review your personal situation just in case. The adage "better safe than sorry" comes to mind. The chance is nonzero.

And it's not like this is an entirely brand new issue. Fisker had issues with fires and so did Tesla. Maybe time will reveal there are issues with the battery management algorithms that Porsche has not teased out yet, while Tesla has had the opportunity to resolve these sorts of issues after reviewing fire event data.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It would be nice peace of mind to better understand the process in this scenario so that I can review my auto and homeowners coverages to ensure that I'd have sufficient coverage and the right coverage.

Let me tell you a story. I have a friend who bought a new home in a development in Houston. This was sometime in 2015-2016, more than a year before hurricane Harvey. The home developer didn't recommend getting flood insurance, and none of his new neighbors did. I think you know where this is going.

His house was destroyed in the flooding, and so were his neighbors. Guess who was the only guy with flood insurance on the entire street? It pays to understand your insurance coverages, and think carefully about the risks you may be undertaking, even if they seem remote.

The story of this fire today is a warning to review your personal situation just in case. The adage "better safe than sorry" comes to mind. The chance is nonzero.

And it's not like this is an entirely brand new issue. Fisker had issues with fires and so did Tesla. Maybe time will reveal there are issues with the battery management algorithms that Porsche has not teased out yet, while Tesla has had the opportunity to resolve these sorts of issues after reviewing fire event data.
I agree its important to know what your policy says. It's also important to have enough coverage on your how for full replacement cost as well as enough liability insurance to cover damage an event on your property might cause to others.

The rebuild cost on our home is $2M and we have that coverage. As long as the house gets a regular rebuild appraisal and the premium is updated to reflect the new cost, we are covered, even if it costs $4M to rebuild the house. As for the car, we carry $10M third party liability. So, if the car burns the house down, we'd make a claim against the car's insurance policy. If the car policy doesn't pay out because there is a dispute as to what caused the fire (house wiring or the car itself), we'd claim against the house policy and let the two companies work it out. Either ay, with enough coverage, it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Anyone know at what point I should be moving toward an umbrella insurance policy to cover events like this?

·
Registered
602 Posts
If this explosion was caused solely by the Taycan then that's insane. But I have to think something else happened that led to it being completely destroyed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The investigation will leak out eventually. My gut feeling was the charger was wired wrong, not the car. Perhaps it was trying to use a 15 amp charge with a 7.5 amp system. Porsche doesn't allow the small ones as it would take a week to change it.

Chuck J

1 - 12 of 12 Posts