Taycan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my Taycan with adaptive air suspension which includes a lift feature. I'm confused by what seem to be conflicting online information as clearance of the front bumper (as distinguished from specs that seem to say "The Taycan has a boot space of 446 litres while it's ground clearance is 127 mm").

I'm trying to figure out if I'll have trouble getting into my garage which is below the driveway. Currently I have a Mercedes SL 550 which doesn't scrape so long as I got slow coming in and out of the garage. The clearance of the lowest part of my front bumper is 6.67" (171.45 mm).

Do you think I'm going to have a problem getting the Taycan into my garage??

·
Registered
2012 Cayenne S | 2020 Taycan Turbo
84 Posts
I'm getting my Taycan with adaptive air suspension which includes a lift feature. I'm confused by what seem to be conflicting online information as clearance of the front bumper (as distinguished from specs that seem to say "The Taycan has a boot space of 446 litres while it's ground clearance is 127 mm").

I'm trying to figure out if I'll have trouble getting into my garage which is below the driveway. Currently I have a Mercedes SL 550 which doesn't scrape so long as I got slow coming in and out of the garage. The clearance of the lowest part of my front bumper is 6.67" (171.45 mm).

You won’t have a problem! My wife used to drive an SL550 and despite the sharp dip going down our driveway the front nose never scraped. My Taycan doesn’t scrape either even if it’s at its lowest chassis setting.

That said, I’ve set a Smart Lift zone for my driveway and garage so the Taycan automatically raises to its highest level. That makes entering and exiting the Taycan a bit easier for my wife and I when it is parked in our garage.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You won’t have a problem! My wife used to drive an SL550 and despite the sharp dip going down our driveway the front nose never scraped. My Taycan doesn’t scrape either even if it’s at its lowest chassis setting.

That said, I’ve set a Smart Lift zone for my driveway and garage so the Taycan automatically raises to its highest level. That makes entering and exiting the Taycan a bit easier for my wife and I when it is parked in our garage.
I agree. Just set the car for lift when getting near your home and then it will ask you if you want that to happen every time you are there. Select yes, and no more worry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree. Just set the car for lift when getting near your home and then it will ask you if you want that to happen every time you are there. Select yes, and no more worry.
Quick question - Still waiting for my car, but curious to know if you memorise a speed bump location, how far before you arrive at the bump in future will the air suspension lift the car?
IE is it intelligent enough to take into account the approach speed? If not isn't there a risk you'll hit the bump before the lift has happened if you're going to fast??

·
Registered
310 Posts
Quick question - Still waiting for my car, but curious to know if you memorise a speed bump location, how far before you arrive at the bump in future will the air suspension lift the car?
IE is it intelligent enough to take into account the approach speed? If not isn't there a risk you'll hit the bump before the lift has happened if you're going to fast??
Unfortunately I cannot answer. In both of the places I use it I am either driving slowly or stopped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My experience is very very slow....................and I have a number of memorized locations. The experience is the same at all of them. I do not know the exact speed as I have learned to slow way down - I am guessing 5 MPH, maybe 7 or 8 MPH, but I do know that 15 MPH is too fast. It seems to me that it takes the GPS a while to catch up with the car and the lift will miss the location and the car will not lift if approached too fast. I found this out by setting a location and time after time the lift failed to react and I had to manually hit the lift button. Then one day I approached the same location behind another car that was moving very slowly and VOILA! the darn lift operated correctly. So I tested this out in other memorized locations to find that if I did not slow the car down to almost a crawl the car would recognize the memorized location AFTER I passed it..............and give me the error message to slow the car down for the lift to operate. I will say that the GPS operates flawlessly and lifts the car at all of my saved locations as long as the approach is really slow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My experience is very very slow....................and I have a number of memorized locations. The experience is the same at all of them. I do not know the exact speed as I have learned to slow way down - I am guessing 5 MPH, maybe 7 or 8 MPH, but I do know that 15 MPH is too fast. It seems to me that it takes the GPS a while to catch up with the car and the lift will miss the location and the car will not lift if approached too fast. I found this out by setting a location and time after time the lift failed to react and I had to manually hit the lift button. Then one day I approached the same location behind another car that was moving very slowly and VOILA! the darn lift operated correctly. So I tested this out in other memorized locations to find that if I did not slow the car down to almost a crawl the car would recognize the memorized location AFTER I passed it..............and give me the error message to slow the car down for the lift to operate. I will say that the GPS operates flawlessly and lifts the car at all of my saved locations as long as the approach is really slow.
Thats good info - much appreciated. I guess I'll learn over time how best to use it.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I use the gps lift on my driveway and a few other places I frequently go. It works very well. But I would not attempt to test it above very, very slow speeds. You can check the lift height on the display screen/dash by seeing if the Taycan icon is showing double lift arrow indicators.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The smart lift definitely does not engage if you are driving over 20 mph. It will throw a message at you telling you that. It's also not that smart so you could be going a different direction on the same street etc. and it will try to lift you when you go by.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The smart lift definitely does not engage if you are driving over 20 mph. It will throw a message at you telling you that. It's also not that smart so you could be going a different direction on the same street etc. and it will try to lift you when you go by.
Thanks - that's useful info. Guess I'll be playing it by ear with the auto-lift function, when I finally receive my car in 2027 or later!!

·
Registered
2012 Cayenne S | 2020 Taycan Turbo
84 Posts
Thanks - that's useful info. Guess I'll be playing it by ear with the auto-lift function, when I finally receive my car in 2027 or later!!
Your wait may not be as long as you fear. A friend of mine who recently scheduled a build of a Taycan 4 Cross Turismo told me yesterday that his vehicle was actually built on the date that was originally scheduled. Also, his estimated delivery date was moved up by one week to the middle of July 2022.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts