Taycan Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are consistently making long trips I don't think the Taycan is for you. I have multiple cars and only use my Taycan, regular battery, around town. I charge it to about 185 miles, which lasts me 4 days. No long trips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would not give up on ordering a new Taycan over issues of range vs speed.
Over the Hollidays we drove from St. Louis to Houston and back in our 2021 Taycan and enjoyed every minute of the trip (I cancelled air line reservations to drive instead). There were some "Hal" moments (as in 2001 A Space Odyssey) the first day with the PCM thinking I should slow down to 55mph and put the AC on eco mode in order to pass up a charging station and make it to one further down the road, but by the second day we had come to an understanding as to how I was going to drive (a compromise between 55 and 90 mph, and with AC and radio on). While the trip took a couple of hours longer, and I had to take a longer route due to the lack of charging stations along my preferred route, one that I have driven before in our 2020 Macan, driving the Taycan was definitely more fun than in the Macan. While much of my driving is around town, I have no qualms about taking the Taycan on trips that require one or two charging stops to reach my destination, which is to say beyond 250 - 300 miles. The Taycan's charging planner in range mode did an excellent job of keeping me aware of where I would need to stop and how long to charge given the charging rate at the stop (usually 15 - 20 minutes) as well as where alternate charging stations were. For me, having an extra stop on a long trip is out weighed by the sheer pleasure of driving the Taycan.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I came across this during my research as I am on the fence of pulling the trigger on a 2022 4S order or not.

This is a really concerning reality to me and while I do not have one yet, my test 4S car that I drove long distance on the highway was consistent with this graph, so when I set it to Range mode, it dropped speed to 60 mph which is a nonstarter on a typical 70 mph highway I was going and still had 100 miles to go. I wonder if the current owners who take their Taycans on the highway driving at 80 mph basically run out of juice after traveling 170 miles.

I started mapping my long-distance routes that I plan to travel, and it appears I have to stop more times than I thought I would have to. No wonder when I told the dealer that I can totally make a 220-mile round trip in the tester, they told me, well it depends on many factors, well speed is a major one for sure.

For example, I drove a 280-mile round trip to one of my work locations with EA station 60 miles into the trip and 120 miles out of 140 miles one way of traveling highway potential as high as 90 mph following traffic. So, I had to charge 2 times at that location to make it, one time on the way over, and another on the way back to make it home.

Then another route is 540-miles round trip with EA stations at 100 miles, 165 miles, and 255 miles, with destination 270 miles away and all highway at least going 80 mph for 90% of the route. So, I had to stop 3 times to make all the way around and back home.

My point is that the actual range if traveling at highway speeds of 80-90 mph is around what the graph is showing which is 170 miles which is my intended use. I have to dig into the details at what speed and other condition someone has to travel to get 250+ miles but that would certainly not apply to my use unless I have to drive at 50 mph on the highway that the graph is recommending.

Source: The EV 1000: 11 EVs Face Off in a Long-Distance Race
I actually read it in the printed magazine but found above link online.
View attachment 3748

If you are wondering if you should get the Taycan 4S and you are planning to use it for enjoyable trips that approach the mileage range, forget this car. I had a Tesla Model S for 7 years before getting my Taycan Turbo S. I got the Porsche because I wanted to begin enjoy driving instead of simply owning an EV. It is the most stimulating, exciting, satisfying automobile I have yet driven and I've had 10 Porsches including a current 911 Turbo S. But extended trips require easy charging and Porsche's charging network is simply not yet developed in California. As a result I hesitate to take it on any trip involving a charge. I use it as a daily driver and never plan a trip longer than 160 miles as I feel that is my safe limit if I want to use the car properly. I am hoping that before long Porsche will fulfill their goal of having fast chargers easily accessible and working properly. When that happens, a road trip in a Taycan will be one of the great automotive experiences. For now, the Taycan is there to drive during regularly and find short trips that don't stress the range.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have been driving the Audi etron 55 SUV for 2 years, making several long road trips; thus familiar with EV road planning/charging. We found the Taycan RWD that we liked 600 miles away from home. So our first day with the new car was driving back home on major interstates. What a thrill buzzing around on the highway with this powerful electric car. With 21" wheels and 350 rear tires we were seeing nearly 250 miles of range doing 70-90mph. During warm weather saw 260kW charging speed at low SoC. When cool the car would only draw 50kW until the battery warmed up over 70F.
Couple of weeks later we headed off on a 930 mile road trip up north to see the kids. This car is so much more fun on the highway than my previous BMW 5 series cars. The "5" sported over 500 miles of range on a tank but we need breaks so much sooner. So while the "5" would make another 100 miles in a day of driving the we felt so much better at the destination due to frequent stops.
Finally, there are several vids on UTube that prove the 4S in Range Mode with skinny tires and aero wheels can acheive ~270 miles of range.

·
Registered
165 Posts
128 miles of range on last charge to 85% in 15 degree weather. When I drive a lot of highway, summer, I may get 180-185 miles of range at 85% charge - maybe.

Guys like me and my buddies are NEVER gonna hyper mile or make any concessions to simply get range. And we shouldn't have to compromise a 200K + car to do so. AC on in summer at 68-70, driving at 85+ on highway, driving it hard, seat heaters and steering wheel heat on in winter, etc.. Fact is, the car gets poor range. I drive other twin turbo gas cars the same exact way, and get 22 mpg on the highway, that's over 300 miles of range on a small tank of gas.

Consider this: If this was a gas car ( I know its not) and it had say a 18 gallon fuel tank, if I got 185 miles, that would be 10.28 miles per gallon. And if it got 128 miles of range, that would be 7.12 mpg. Please keep in mind, the 128 mile range would still ONLY be 151 miles of range at 100% charge (Or an equivalent of 8.39 mpg.

Best range I ever got, and I was trying to hyper mile, was 242 miles @ 100% charge. In the summer, no highway, eco mode mostly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
128 miles of range on last charge to 85% in 15 degree weather. When I drive a lot of highway, summer, I may get 180-185 miles of range at 85% charge - maybe.

Guys like me and my buddies are NEVER gonna hyper mile or make any concessions to simply get range. And we shouldn't have to compromise a 200K + car to do so. AC on in summer at 68-70, driving at 85+ on highway, driving it hard, seat heaters and steering wheel heat on in winter, etc.. Fact is, the car gets poor range. I drive other twin turbo gas cars the same exact way, and get 22 mpg on the highway, that's over 300 miles of range on a small tank of gas.

Consider this: If this was a gas car ( I know its not) and it had say a 18 gallon fuel tank, if I got 185 miles, that would be 10.28 miles per gallon. And if it got 128 miles of range, that would be 7.12 mpg. Please keep in mind, the 128 mile range would still ONLY be 151 miles of range at 100% charge (Or an equivalent of 8.39 mpg.

Best range I ever got, and I was trying to hyper mile, was 242 miles @ 100% charge. In the summer, no highway, eco mode mostly.
You must have the standard battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I appreciate everyone's inputs to understand how long trips and speed impact range and convenience. I am not giving up on the Taycan for the range as I enjoyed the highway drives immensely and actually the reason I continue to learn about this amazing machine. The reasons that are holding me back are the glitches at this point that I am confident will be worked out in time. Therefore, I gave up my 4S slot and actually considering a Turbo slot that is much further down in time. My dealer has been totally unresponsive and unmotivated to help me siting they have people out with covid and they will get back to me by the end of the week, which means, I have to go there or send them messages a week from now. The world is upside down now where we as customers mean absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
183 Posts

your reported range is way, way below the average. in fact I will call BS on 128 miles @ 85%
your speed will diminish your range, if on a longer run consider slowing down to get more range.

·
Registered
1 Posts
your reported range is way, way below the average. in fact I will call BS on 128 miles @ 85%
your speed will diminish your range, if on a longer run consider slowing down to get more range.
No this is very typical of certain types of cold weather driving. I just went from 80% to 51% SoC but only traveled 33 miles. That equates to a range of only 114 miles. But in my case, everything was working against range. Average outside temps were about 25 °F and the battery was always cold (30 -35 °F). Also, my trips were just around town with an average of about 5 miles per trip. I preheated the car before each trip and I had the heated seats and steering wheel turned on for each trip.

The efficiency for this period reported by the Taycan was 1.9 mi/kWh (or 52.6 kWh/100 miles). The charge back to 80% required 25.5 kWh according to the Porsche charger, but I suspect that some of that was used for heating the battery. If the actual energy used was for only the charge was 20 kWh, that would be an efficiency of only 1.65 mi/kWh.

My range in the summer when I am doing a lot of driving on country roads at 55-65 mph is about 240 miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are wondering if you should get the Taycan 4S and you are planning to use it for enjoyable trips that approach the mileage range, forget this car. I had a Tesla Model S for 7 years before getting my Taycan Turbo S. I got the Porsche because I wanted to begin enjoy driving instead of simply owning an EV. It is the most stimulating, exciting, satisfying automobile I have yet driven and I've had 10 Porsches including a current 911 Turbo S. But extended trips require easy charging and Porsche's charging network is simply not yet developed in California. As a result I hesitate to take it on any trip involving a charge. I use it as a daily driver and never plan a trip longer than 160 miles as I feel that is my safe limit if I want to use the car properly. I am hoping that before long Porsche will fulfill their goal of having fast chargers easily accessible and working properly. When that happens, a road trip in a Taycan will be one of the great automotive experiences. For now, the Taycan is there to drive during regularly and find short trips that don't stress the range.
i really do not understand what you are saying at all.i have 4s and have driven this car all over the east coast and EA stations are everywhere and charging is never a problem.looking at the ea map there are far more charging stations in california than one the east coast so i really am confused about your post

21 - 31 of 31 Posts