Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this during my research as I am on the fence of pulling the trigger on a 2022 4S order or not.

This is a really concerning reality to me and while I do not have one yet, my test 4S car that I drove long distance on the highway was consistent with this graph, so when I set it to Range mode, it dropped speed to 60 mph which is a nonstarter on a typical 70 mph highway I was going and still had 100 miles to go. I wonder if the current owners who take their Taycans on the highway driving at 80 mph basically run out of juice after traveling 170 miles.

I started mapping my long-distance routes that I plan to travel, and it appears I have to stop more times than I thought I would have to. No wonder when I told the dealer that I can totally make a 220-mile round trip in the tester, they told me, well it depends on many factors, well speed is a major one for sure.

For example, I drove a 280-mile round trip to one of my work locations with EA station 60 miles into the trip and 120 miles out of 140 miles one way of traveling highway potential as high as 90 mph following traffic. So, I had to charge 2 times at that location to make it, one time on the way over, and another on the way back to make it home.

Then another route is 540-miles round trip with EA stations at 100 miles, 165 miles, and 255 miles, with destination 270 miles away and all highway at least going 80 mph for 90% of the route. So, I had to stop 3 times to make all the way around and back home.

My point is that the actual range if traveling at highway speeds of 80-90 mph is around what the graph is showing which is 170 miles which is my intended use. I have to dig into the details at what speed and other condition someone has to travel to get 250+ miles but that would certainly not apply to my use unless I have to drive at 50 mph on the highway that the graph is recommending.

Source: The EV 1000: 11 EVs Face Off in a Long-Distance Race
I actually read it in the printed magazine but found above link online.
Slope Rectangle Line Font Parallel

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
183 Posts
the equation can be looked at as you drive faster any time savings made traveling at higher speeds is lost because of the need to charge the car more often.
my experience on long trips with good weather conditions is to drive 70-75 MPH. that gives me a good balance of speed versus time. at 70+ with the larger performance battery I can get 240 -250 miles of driving.

if I am willing to charge more often and I know that there are chargers on the route I will sacrifice the time to charge in order to drive more spirited.

the key to driving long distances in an EV is to plan your charging stops prior to departure.
range anxiety is an affliction that affects newbies and it goes away as you gain experience of how your car performs.

·
Registered
2020 Taycan 4S with Performance Battery
12 Posts
I came across this during my research as I am on the fence of pulling the trigger on a 2022 4S order or not.

This is a really concerning reality to me and while I do not have one yet, my test 4S car that I drove long distance on the highway was consistent with this graph, so when I set it to Range mode, it dropped speed to 60 mph which is a nonstarter on a typical 70 mph highway I was going and still had 100 miles to go. I wonder if the current owners who take their Taycans on the highway driving at 80 mph basically run out of juice after traveling 170 miles.

I started mapping my long-distance routes that I plan to travel, and it appears I have to stop more times than I thought I would have to. No wonder when I told the dealer that I can totally make a 220-mile round trip in the tester, they told me, well it depends on many factors, well speed is a major one for sure.

For example, I drove a 280-mile round trip to one of my work locations with EA station 60 miles into the trip and 120 miles out of 140 miles one way of traveling highway potential as high as 90 mph following traffic. So, I had to charge 2 times at that location to make it, one time on the way over, and another on the way back to make it home.

Then another route is 540-miles round trip with EA stations at 100 miles, 165 miles, and 255 miles, with destination 270 miles away and all highway at least going 80 mph for 90% of the route. So, I had to stop 3 times to make all the way around and back home.

My point is that the actual range if traveling at highway speeds of 80-90 mph is around what the graph is showing which is 170 miles which is my intended use. I have to dig into the details at what speed and other condition someone has to travel to get 250+ miles but that would certainly not apply to my use unless I have to drive at 50 mph on the highway that the graph is recommending.

View attachment 3748
Hi,
I have had my 2020 4S for 16 months and have 19,500 miles on it. At first I mapped every out of town trip carefully, but not so much now. You should be able to do a 220 mile round trip, especially in the summer. I usually charge to 85% at home and the range shows to be 270 miles, equivalent to 317 miles at 100%. Now (Jan) I show about 220 miles at 85%. I don’t drive slower than the traffic flow, and remaining range stays consistent with distance driven. I seldom feel a need to charge above 90%, but if I do, I do so just before leaving, so that the higher state of charge is only for a short time. Leaving the battery at an extreme (low or high) is not good practice. I almost never use Range Mode, but I think you can change the max from 60 to something more suitable. I had mine at 70 for awhile, but after software updates, it is now 60 and not worth changing. It didn’t seem to add enough range to be worthwhile.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 2021 4S also gets held to 60mph in range mode, so it is never used unless I really need it to make it to another charger. Usually get 270 miles @100% charge, 220 at 80%, but like @kort, I like to drive "spirited".

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wish I had some stats for you about this, but there is an obvious drop in range due to higher speeds. Colder weather is also has a negative impact.

It’s been in the 40’s and 50’s in north Texas where I live. When it has been warmer, my my 2021 4S with a regular battery usually estimates about 190 miles at 85%. Right now it shows just 156 miles at 85%. Pretty disappointing when warm and more disappointing when cold.

Making this worse is the unacceptable myriad of issues with the PCM and weak fast-charging infrastructure. I’m just glad I leased this car instead of buying it. I wish I had a shorter lease term than I got so I could get rid of it sooner.

·
Registered
2012 Cayenne S | 2020 Taycan Turbo
46 Posts

View attachment 3748
Hey Sergey! Thanks for posting the link to the EV 1000 article. It was an interesting read and it also helped me discover the “A Better Route Planner” App which looks to be a solid EV Route planning app with robust functionality.

Seeing you say you are still on the fence for ordering a Taycan due to its range when driving at high speeds on long trips, I thought I should offer up my thoughts for your consideration.

While I absolutely love my Taycan, which is especially pleasant to drive on the highway at speeds of 80mph+, if I’m objective about it I don’t think the Taycan (or any EV for that matter) is a good choice for anyone who would have to regularly drive on long trips where the destination is well beyond the range of the EV.

I say this because you lose much to much time recharging. And the longer the trip in an EV, the more that time lost waiting to recharge adds up. To me, if you attach any reasonable value to your time, it makes little to no sense to drive an EV on a very long trip. And I would think that would especially be true if the travel is for work/business purposes. Let’s face it, almost any ICE vehicle can get you to your destination faster than an EV can. The ICE vehicle generally has more range, has to make fewer refueling/recharging stops than an EV and its refueling stops take less than 10 minutes while EV’s require 30 minutes of recharging or more.

When I’m making a long trip by car I’m not driving my Taycan. For long trips I use my V8 ICE SUV which has a 26 gallon fuel tank. If I drive at my preferred cruise control speed of 88 mph (yes I’m a big fan of the Back To The Future movies) I have just over 400 miles of range and I don’t have to carefully plan where I will have to stop to recharge. And if I drive less aggressively at cruise control speeds of the Speed Limit + 9 mph, then my range is 450+ miles. No range anxiety whatsoever.

And by driving my ICE vehicle on long trips I also avoid some of the very bad things that can unexpectedly happen to EV drivers at charging stations. These bad things include:

1. You arrive at the charging station and all of the charging stalls are filled with other EVs. This causes even more lost time.

2. You arrive at the charging station, there are open stalls but you discover that the charger is “throttled” and is not recharging at anywhere near the speed you were expecting. Again this results in even more lost time than you were planning on.

3. You arrive at the charging station and find that your App and/or your EV are having problems communicating with the charger and you can’t get the charger to start charging. That can be particularly problematic if your EV is running very low SOC and the next closest charging station is beyond your remaining range.

4. You arrive at the charging station and find it is completely out of order / offline. Again this can be horribly bad if you don’t have enough remaining range to reach another charging station.

In summary, while I am a hugely satisfied Taycan owner, I don’t think it is the right vehicle for frequent long distance trips. There is simply too much time lost to recharging and there is also the risk of a significant travel interruption due to occasional problems at recharging stations.

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
183 Posts
My 2021 4S also gets held to 60mph in range mode, so it is never used unless I really need it to make it to another charger. Usually get 270 miles @100% charge, 220 at 80%, but like @kort, I like to drive "spirited".
you can easily adjust the speeds in range mode via the PCM

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
183 Posts
I wish I had some stats for you about this, but there is an obvious drop in range due to higher speeds. Colder weather is also has a negative impact.

It’s been in the 40’s and 50’s in north Texas where I live. When it has been warmer, my my 2021 4S with a regular battery usually estimates about 190 miles at 85%. Right now it shows just 156 miles at 85%. Pretty disappointing when warm and more disappointing when cold.

Making this worse is the unacceptable myriad of issues with the PCM and weak fast-charging infrastructure. I’m just glad I leased this car instead of buying it. I wish I had a shorter lease term than I got so I could get rid of it sooner.
In the current state of affairs in the used car game you could probably turn a profit on the car if you really want to be out of the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Look into Swap-a-Lease and Lease-Trader, try adding a down payment at first to offset your Acquisition fees.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Sergey! Thanks for posting the link to the EV 1000 article. It was an interesting read and it also helped me discover the “A Better Route Planner” App which looks to be a solid EV Route planning app with robust functionality.

Seeing you say you are still on the fence for ordering a Taycan due to its range when driving at high speeds on long trips, I thought I should offer up my thoughts for your consideration.

While I absolutely love my Taycan, which is especially pleasant to drive on the highway at speeds of 80mph+, if I’m objective about it I don’t think the Taycan (or any EV for that matter) is a good choice for anyone who would have to regularly drive on long trips where the destination is well beyond the range of the EV.

I say this because you lose much to much time recharging. And the longer the trip in an EV, the more that time lost waiting to recharge adds up. To me, if you attach any reasonable value to your time, it makes little to no sense to drive an EV on a very long trip. And I would think that would especially be true if the travel is for work/business purposes. Let’s face it, almost any ICE vehicle can get you to your destination faster than an EV can. The ICE vehicle generally has more range, has to make fewer refueling/recharging stops than an EV and its refueling stops take less than 10 minutes while EV’s require 30 minutes of recharging or more.

When I’m making a long trip by car I’m not driving my Taycan. For long trips I use my V8 ICE SUV which has a 26 gallon fuel tank. If I drive at my preferred cruise control speed of 88 mph (yes I’m a big fan of the Back To The Future movies) I have just over 400 miles of range and I don’t have to carefully plan where I will have to stop to recharge. And if I drive less aggressively at cruise control speeds of the Speed Limit + 9 mph, then my range is 450+ miles. No range anxiety whatsoever.

And by driving my ICE vehicle on long trips I also avoid some of the very bad things that can unexpectedly happen to EV drivers at charging stations. These bad things include:

1. You arrive at the charging station and all of the charging stalls are filled with other EVs. This causes even more lost time.

2. You arrive at the charging station, there are open stalls but you discover that the charger is “throttled” and is not recharging at anywhere near the speed you were expecting. Again this results in even more lost time than you were planning on.

3. You arrive at the charging station and find that your App and/or your EV are having problems communicating with the charger and you can’t get the charger to start charging. That can be particularly problematic if your EV is running very low SOC and the next closest charging station is beyond your remaining range.

4. You arrive at the charging station and find it is completely out of order / offline. Again this can be horribly bad if you don’t have enough remaining range to reach another charging station.

In summary, while I am a hugely satisfied Taycan owner, I don’t think it is the right vehicle for frequent long-distance trips. There is simply too much time lost to recharging and there is also the risk of a significant travel interruption due to occasional problems at recharging stations.
These are really helpful perspectives that I experienced during both of my test drives. I just drove both routes again in my trusted 2008 Acura TSX that can travel 400+ miles and I was mentally noting how much time I am losing not getting off the highway and tracing my way through a lot of traffic to get to a Wal-Mart EA charger (30-40 min per stop). I have to stop to fuel up in the Acura, but the stop is really short as I stop at favorite stations that right off the highway to the right with no lights, so I set it to fuel and then it takes me 10 min to get back and get going again with 15 min max. However, that is why I wanted to do these drives in real to me trips to work locations. However, I really enjoyed highway cruising and passing so that does not eliminate Taycan for me for long work trips but there are too many issues with the most recent deliveries that I decided not to proceed with my 4S order with March build and April delivery as I would like to wait to see if these issues will be addressed before I am ready for it. I personally experienced: Key not recognized, XM radio lost from PCM, Charger cannot communicate with car had to call EA support. The most concerning as of recent are non-functional heat pumps on delivery but I did not experience this in my 2021 4S and 2022 Base testers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
These are really helpful perspectives that I experienced during both of my test drives. I just drove both routes again in my trusted 2008 Acura TSX that can travel 400+ miles and I was mentally noting how much time I am losing not getting off the highway and tracing my way through a lot of traffic to get to a Wal-Mart EA charger (30-40 min per stop). I have to stop to fuel up in the Acura, but the stop is really short as I stop at favorite stations that right off the highway to the right with no lights, so I set it to fuel and then it takes me 10 min to get back and get going again with 15 min max. However, that is why I wanted to do these drives in real to me trips to work locations. However, I really enjoyed highway cruising and passing so that does not eliminate Taycan for me for long work trips but there are too many issues with the most recent deliveries that I decided not to proceed with my 4S order with March build and April delivery as I would like to wait to see if these issues will be addressed before I am ready for it. I personally experienced: Key not recognized, XM radio lost from PCM, Charger cannot communicate with car had to call EA support. The most concerning as of recent are non-functional heat pumps on delivery but I did not experience this in my 2021 4S and 2022 Base testers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good decision to not get the Taycan. The short range is a pain and makes traveling stressful, especially with the standard battery and in cold weather. My PCM takes about 2 minutes or more to load at each start and the audio settings are different many times. There is no audio during this period. Just closing my garage door can involve several button pushes (this is because I stored 3 different openers). There are too many quirks and inconveniences with the PCM to mention here. It doesn’t matter how great the car drives with these issues.

You can find these same kind of gripes all over this site or any other Taycan board.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good decision to not get the Taycan. The short range is a pain and makes traveling stressful, especially with the standard battery and in cold weather. My PCM takes about 2 minutes or more to load at each start and the audio settings are different many times. There is no audio during this period. Just closing my garage door can involve several button pushes (this is because I stored 3 different openers). There are too many quirks and inconveniences with the PCM to mention here. It doesn’t matter how great the car drives with these issues.

You can find these same kind of gripes all over this site or any other Taycan board.
I was wondering also on my Taycan test drives why PCM is so slow to operate on the go as it should be the best one that Porsche offers. I compare it to my 2020 Cayenne PCM 5 and it is so much quicker to operate on the go and noted by many reviewers and owners like myself. Yes, it takes time to connect to the Phone, then load Fav Destinations since they are associated with Porsche Connect profile, but not painfully so and XM starts playing right away.

Also, as I was looking for used inventory to see if I can test drive a Turbo and there are so many 2020 Turbo/TurboS for sale with very low miles 1K-5K miles and some noted with Lemon Law record on file. I found one locally and test drove it and it did not exhibit any PCM issues, but it was very oddly configured (to my taste) so the used car place will sure have a hard time selling it (MSRP 169K and sale price $143K). The place had its parking lot full of used cars so I could not even find a spot to park and was full of customers with no one to help them siting staff out due to omicron positive cases.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was wondering also on my Taycan test drives why PCM is so slow to operate on the go as it should be the best one that Porsche offers. I compare it to my 2020 Cayenne PCM 5 and it is so much quicker to operate on the go and noted by many reviewers and owners like myself. Yes, it takes time to connect to the Phone, then load Fav Destinations since they are associated with Porsche Connect profile, but not painfully so and XM starts playing right away.

Also, as I was looking for used inventory to see if I can test drive a Turbo and there are so many 2020 Turbo/TurboS for sale with very low miles 1K-5K miles and some noted with Lemon Law record on file. I found one locally and test drove it and it did not exhibit any PCM issues, but it was very oddly configured (to my taste) so the used car place will sure have a hard time selling it (MSRP 169K and sale price $143K). The place had its parking lot full of used cars so I could not even find a spot to park and was full of customers with no one to help them siting staff out due to omicron positive cases.
Ya, our 2019 Cayenne does not seem to have any delay in loading the PCM like the Taycan. The PCM on the Taycan is simply a bust.

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
183 Posts

with used cars commanding big premiums you could be a position to flip the car, put a few bucks in your pocket and be done with a car that doesn't work for you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ya, our 2019 Cayenne does not seem to have any delay in loading the PCM like the Taycan. The PCM on the Taycan is simply a bust.
This morning I dropped my Taycan off at the dealer for a Federal Safety Recall Software Update (the Federal Government is forcing Porsche to stop the Taycan from turning on its emergency flashers when the vehicle “thinks” an accident may be imminent) so I drove home today in a loaner Macan. The PCM in the 2021 Macan is certainly better than the PCM in the Taycan because it connects to Apple CarPlay more quickly and it also makes terrestrial and satellite radio stations available to be selected more quickly than does the Taycan.

That said, my experience with the PCM in my Taycan differs from what TecasTate reports. My PCM doesn’t take 2 minutes to start up and connect with my iPhone. For me, the delay is variable and ranges between 30 seconds and 1 minute 15 seconds. Yes it is a minor frustration but it most certainly is not a reason to avoid owning a Taycan. The Taycan is an AWESOME VEHICLE and mine has been 100% mechanically reliable. And the combination of ultra quiet cabin, ultra smooth ride, Porsche-quality handling and mind boggling acceleration cannot be matched by any other EV.

No it’s not perfect but the Taycan is darn close in my book. I highly recommend it except to those who would need to make frequent long trips where the ultimate destination is beyond the Taycan’s 270-ish mile range if you drive it at 70mph.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This morning I dropped my Taycan off at the dealer for a Federal Safety Recall Software Update (the Federal Government is forcing Porsche to stop the Taycan from turning on its emergency flashers when the vehicle “thinks” an accident may be imminent) so I drove home today in a loaner Macan. The PCM in the 2021 Macan is certainly better than the PCM in the Taycan because it connects to Apple CarPlay more quickly and it also makes terrestrial and satellite radio stations available to be selected more quickly than does the Taycan.

That said, my experience with the PCM in my Taycan differs from what TecasTate reports. My PCM doesn’t take 2 minutes to start up and connect with my iPhone. For me, the delay is variable and ranges between 30 seconds and 1 minute 15 seconds. Yes it is a minor frustration but it most certainly is not a reason to avoid owning a Taycan. The Taycan is an AWESOME VEHICLE and mine has been 100% mechanically reliable. And the combination of ultra quiet cabin, ultra smooth ride, Porsche-quality handling and mind boggling acceleration cannot be matched by any other EV.

No it’s not perfect but the Taycan is darn close in my book. I highly recommend it except to those who would need to make frequent long trips where the ultimate destination is beyond the Taycan’s 270-ish mile range if you drive it at 70mph.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I highly recommend it except to those who would need to make frequent long trips where the ultimate destination is beyond the Taycan’s 270-ish mile range if you drive it at 70mph.
Have heard of "on the road salesmen" who tried Long Range EVs and had to go back to gas due to the charging overhead. Otherwise this vehicle is terrific on a long road trip.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have heard of "on the road salesmen" who tried Long Range EVs and had to go back to gas due to the charging overhead. Otherwise this vehicle is terrific on a long road trip.
During the winter I’m getting estimates of about 158 miles at 85% and in the 180’s at 100% for my 2021 4S with the standard battery. This makes long trips very inconvenient and time consuming, but long trips become impossible if fast charging stations aren’t there. So, the big battery is a must, but it still won’t deliver much more range without driving it like a Corolla…and who wants to do that???!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,
I have had my 2020 4S for 16 months and have 19,500 miles on it. At first I mapped every out of town trip carefully, but not so much now. You should be able to do a 220 mile round trip, especially in the summer. I usually charge to 85% at home and the range shows to be 270 miles, equivalent to 317 miles at 100%. Now (Jan) I show about 220 miles at 85%. I don’t drive slower than the traffic flow, and remaining range stays consistent with distance driven. I seldom feel a need to charge above 90%, but if I do, I do so just before leaving, so that the higher state of charge is only for a short time. Leaving the battery at an extreme (low or high) is not good practice. I almost never use Range Mode, but I think you can change the max from 60 to something more suitable. I had mine at 70 for awhile, but after software updates, it is now 60 and not worth changing. It didn’t seem to add enough range to be worthwhile.
Can you tell me how you get the charge to stop at 85%? No matter what I do it charges 100% ever since I had the last update

1 - 20 of 30 Posts