Taycan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
So what are the secrets we can apply for a road trip? Is it worthwhile to inflate the tires with extra air before setting off on a long drive? Is there a max speed where the Taycan reaches maximum efficiency in terms of kwH per mile? Is it 55 mph? 65 mph?

· Premium Member
47 Posts
An excellent data point. But, yes, questions remain. Speeds I observed in the video ranged from 35-50 mph on the highway, not very fast or realistic unless one is forced to limp to the nearest charging station. But it was cold, too. I hope Cpoarchy will run a couple more mileage tests under varying conditions. Thanks for this!

· Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
Wow 375 miles on a single charge. That's amazing.

· Registered
2021 taycan 4s
230 Posts
So what are the secrets we can apply for a road trip? Is it worthwhile to inflate the tires with extra air before setting off on a long drive? Is there a max speed where the Taycan reaches maximum efficiency in terms of kwH per mile? Is it 55 mph? 65 mph?
there are no secrets, the faster that you drive the less distance will be covered. high PSI for the tires is a bit better for range but it could affect handling and comfort.
on most major routes in the US the chargers are well spaced and there is little need to try to squeeze every last mile out of the car.
there is a technique for road tripping used to lower charge times, it is called driving the bottom of the battery. the idea is to get the car to a very low SOC, then charge just enough to make the next charger, repeat as needed. the theory is that the battery will charge much faster at a low soc than at a higher SOC.

· Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
there are no secrets, the faster that you drive the less distance will be covered. high PSI for the tires is a bit better for range but it could affect handling and comfort.
on most major routes in the US the chargers are well spaced and there is little need to try to squeeze every last mile out of the car.
there is a technique for road tripping used to lower charge times, it is called driving the bottom of the battery. the idea is to get the car to a very low SOC, then charge just enough to make the next charger, repeat as needed. the theory is that the battery will charge much faster at a low soc than at a higher SOC.
Interesting points. Thanks for sharing.

· Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
I'm going to try that on my next road trip.

· Registered
49 Posts
utter no sense unless drive 20 mes an hour without airco.i have 2021 4s and drive normally and my range never ever exceeds 220 miles
Agreed. My 2021 4S with the standard battery (it must be made of 2 AA batteries) never estimates more than 230 miles at 100% in the summer. In the winter at 100% it hasn’t exceeded 190. I’ve never had confidence to test it by letting it almost go to 0% for fear of not having a sufficient for a necessary drive. I doubt I could meet the estimates unless I drive like a grandpa (I am one, but don’t drive like one).

There are no fast-charging stations near me in Frisco, TX. Frisco is a large fast-growing suburb of Dallas that should have ample stations. The point here is that the charging infrastructure coupled with the Taycan’s pitiful range makes using the car stressful. It’s disappointing.

· Registered
18 Posts
Agreed. My 2021 4S with the standard battery (it must be made of 2 AA batteries) never estimates more than 230 miles at 100% in the summer. In the winter at 100% it hasn’t exceeded 190. I’ve never had confidence to test it by letting it almost go to 0% for fear of not having a sufficient for a necessary drive. I doubt I could meet the estimates unless I drive like a grandpa (I am one, but don’t drive like one).

There are no fast-charging stations near me in Frisco, TX. Frisco is a large fast-growing suburb of Dallas that should have ample stations. The point here is that the charging infrastructure coupled with the Taycan’s pitiful range makes using the car stressful. It’s disappointing.
You're in Texas. That's the problem. Can't blame the car that much. Houston has plenty of EA stations so it's only a matter of time. Also, you can charge at home. No point fast charging if you're just tooling around the city.

· Registered
49 Posts
You're in Texas. That's the problem. Can't blame the car that much. Houston has plenty of EA stations so it's only a matter of time. Also, you can charge at home. No point fast charging if you're just tooling around the city.
I blame myself more than anything for not researching the situation. The situation is that a 4S like mine with the standard battery, 21” wheels, will only get 155 miles at 85% in the winter. If Lucid can get hundreds more miles of range then why can’t a Taycan? They can wax a Taycan in a drag as well. (Here come the “I didn’t buy a Porsche to go fast rebuttals.”). Houston doesn’t have “plenty” of EA stations either.

I do agree it’s only a matter of time before charging stations will be , but for a few years it’s going to be convenient. Also, I do charge at home and want to do more that tool around town.

· Registered
2020 Taycan Turbo S
50 Posts
I blame myself more than anything for not researching the situation. The situation is that a 4S like mine with the standard battery, 21” wheels, will only get 155 miles at 85% in the winter. If Lucid can get hundreds more miles of range then why can’t a Taycan? They can wax a Taycan in a drag as well. (Here come the “I didn’t buy a Porsche to go fast rebuttals.”). Houston doesn’t have “plenty” of EA stations either.

I do agree it’s only a matter of time before charging stations will be , but for a few years it’s going to be convenient. Also, I do charge at home and want to do more that tool around town.
I get 155 miles, maybe, in the winter with a Turbo S.....no bueno

1 - 15 of 15 Posts