Taycan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never posted before but this is a huge purchase. Thinking of purchasing the Taycan 2022. Any thoughts on what options I must have?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Never posted before but this is a huge purchase. Thinking of purchasing the Taycan 2022. Any thoughts on what options I must have?
If it is a present for your wife, then it seems that much would depend upon her. I was going to wait, maybe a year or even 2, but my wife wanted me to do it now. She showed little interest in going over the options, but when we finally reviewed the things I selected on the configuration page it turned out that there were a number of things she did want. Some of those things were standard, some came in packages I had decided upon, Some things she did not care about or thought made little sense, like rear-wheel steering that I wanted, some things I was neutral about, like a heated steering wheel but she asked for it, and some things I specifically did not want, like lane-keep assist. I test drove another Porsche with lane-keep assist and it did not bother me as much as I feared, so I ordered the Inno-Drive package that includes what she asked for. The Cross Turismo I ordered will primarily be for me to drive, but she will drive it too, so I ordered what we both wanted. For an expensive car that seems best for us. For a car you call a huge purchase, getting it right is probably more important than having it be a surprise that misses something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it is a present for your wife, then it seems that much would depend upon her. I was going to wait, maybe a year or even 2, but my wife wanted me to do it now. She showed little interest in going over the options, but when we finally reviewed the things I selected on the configuration page it turned out that there were a number of things she did want. Some of those things were standard, some came in packages I had decided upon, Some things she did not care about or thought made little sense, like rear-wheel steering that I wanted, some things I was neutral about, like a heated steering wheel but she asked for it, and some things I specifically did not want, like lane-keep assist. I test drove another Porsche with lane-keep assist and it did not bother me as much as I feared, so I ordered the Inno-Drive package that includes what she asked for. The Cross Turismo I ordered will primarily be for me to drive, but she will drive it too, so I ordered what we both wanted. For an expensive car that seems best for us. For a car you call a huge purchase, getting it right is probably more important than having it be a surprise that misses something.
Thank you and great advice. I started to realize that as i was going through the options. Its best to get it right. Thank you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My salesman tried to talk me into a bunch of things, some of which I wasn't interested in, but three I'm glad I listened to were "Intelligent Range Manager", "On-Board 150kw/400V DC Charger" and "Lane Change Assist" (vision to the rear is very poor).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My salesman tried to talk me into a bunch of things, some of which I wasn't interested in, but three I'm glad I listened to were "Intelligent Range Manager", "On-Board 150kw/400V DC Charger" and "Lane Change Assist" (vision to the rear is very poor).
Thank you

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was amazed that lane Change assist was not standard, but it came in packages that I wanted, so no big deal there.

I also ordered the 150kw 400V DC charger option, but one should be aware that there are almost no DC stations in the US that are able to push that much current. Most are limited to 50kw. I understand that there are more in Canada, and somebody wrote that there are some in OK. I got it anyway because charger infrastructure is expanding and tech is moving, so I view it as something that might be useful someday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was amazed that lane Change assist was not standard, but it came in packages that I wanted, so no big deal there.

I also ordered the 150kw 400V DC charger option, but one should be aware that there are almost no DC stations in the US that are able to push that much current. Most are limited to 50kw. I understand that there are more in Canada, and somebody wrote that there are some in OK. I got it anyway because charger infrastructure is expanding and tech is moving, so I view it as something that might be useful someday.

Thank you David

·
Registered
160 Posts
I considered the ceramic coated breaks as a useful option. The discs will get less use if regen is turned on, which I will, and it already annoys me how much rust I see on my 911 discs.

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
151 Posts

this isn't correct at all, all the EA stations that I've visited are either 150kw or 350kw. most of the other networks are 50kw, why would you use a slower network when a faster and free option is available?

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is good news. The other information I read and saw on YouTube must be wrong or outdated. Thanks for the correction. It is nice that what I ordered for ‘someday’ is useful before the car even gets here!

·
Registered
160 Posts
this isn't correct at all, all the EA stations that I've visited are either 150kw or 350kw. most of the other networks are 50kw, why would you use a slower network when a faster and free option is available?
I went back to the YouTube video from which I got the information. The detail I neglected to include is that it seems that there are both 400V and 800V DC fast chargers. The claim in the video is that stock 2020 Taycans can charge at 275kw on an 800V DC charger, but only 50kw on a 400V DC charger without the upgrade. The statement, and the option, only applies to 400V DC chargers, and it seems that while consumers are rarely aware if a station is 400V or 800V, the 150kw and 350kw stations are all 800V while the 50kw stations are usually 400V. The video claims that there are virtually no 150kw 400V chargers in the US, although many in Europe, and thus the option is not useful in the US. Comments following the video claim that there is an extensive charging network in Canada with 150kw 400V chargers, and that a Canadian company has started building similar stations in OK. But I do not really know the actual truth! I saw it on the internet … is it true??!!

The same video is also outdated in that it complains about the standard 8 foot charging cable and there is now a no-charge upgrade option to a 25 foot charge cable, and in the video there is only mention of a NEMA 14-50 plug (4-wire), but now one can choose a NEMA 6-50 plug (3-wire). I already have an available 6-50 receptacle for my welder, so of course I’m going that way. But when traveling, if you expect to use the dryer receptacle at a friend’s house, it is more likely to be 14-50.

But I agree completely that if the EA stations where we get 3 years of free 30 minutes of charging at 150kw or 350kw are available nearby then it makes little sense to go elsewhere. Other videos I have seen point out that at EA stations there are stickers on each station identifying the charge rate, so we might as well use the 350kw station if available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts