Taycan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) I read in a Car and Driver report about the Taycan that Porsche specifically told them the 93.4 kWh battery has a "usable" amount of 83.7 kWh. Two questions on this issue: a) Does that mean the 79.2 kWh battery loses the same amount of "usable" battery capacity, 9.7 kWh, or is it a percentage loss of usable battery capacity from 79.2 kWh? b) what is that 9.7 kWh of seemingly unusable battery capacity being used to do?

2) I know the 12V battery in the Taycan is used to power things like an ICE 12V battery. My question is what happens when the car is not moving down the road but you are running the AC, the radio, etc.? Is it taking power from the 12V battery or from the main battery system? Can you "empty" the 12V battery sitting with multiple draining components working and, subsequently, have a power issue? How does the 12V battery recharge itself? Is it though the main battery system or is it only recharged, for some reason, when the car is in motion.

Thanks,

TP

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Excellent questions. There are, indeed, a lot of smart people on this forum. Looking forward to their answers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The A/C runs with the battery pack, all the infotainment, alarm, cameras, WiFi, car communication runs with the 12v. I know that because I owned Tesla’s for the last 8 years and I have experience on this issues, been early adopter of EVs. About the battery pack is my understanding that 5kw are unavailable. Porche engineers may have choose to leave a buffer to protect the battery, what surprise me is the 85% battery charge recommend by Porsche. Tesla recommend 90% and only 100% for trips, allowing users to use the total capacity of the battery. Now Tesla owners has clock up to 500.000 miles with 15% battery degradation. I wish Porche allow us to use the potential of the battery, no reason to be that careful. Personally I will charge 90%, if you add the unavailable buffer is the equivalent to 85%.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts