Taycan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my Tesla I was used to get software updates once in a while. I would get a neat notification on my phone, which was always exciting. New software updates are cool in my opinion, it shows that the manufacturer is actively working on the software / car.

With my Taycan I haven’t seen a software update yet. My dealer told me that they installed new software when I returned the car for a thorough cleaning. But I don’t notice anything different and I cannot find release notes anywhere.

So my question: Do you know where I can find release notes?
Bonus question: Do you need the data bundle package to get OTA updates?

·
Registered
149 Posts
John I have not gotten any updates yet, and I am not sure but I do not believe any SOTAs have been released yet. I have been told one is coming that include enabling wireless CarPlay. But being a professional software developer I for one do not one very regular software updates on a car. My Jaguar I Pace tends to get near quarterly (or twice a year) With infotainment improvements and fixes (and it has made lot of difference since release).

Besides Wireless CarPlay the Taycan software is pretty complete, there are a few minor bugs and some submenu item access can be improved. But I for one do not want a constantly changing “user experience.” Its one of a few reasons I have stayed away from Tesla.

·
Registered
157 Posts
any of you know if software updates are free with purchase/ term of owernship?.. haven't gotten a straight answer from my porsche rep on that ..

·
Registered
33 Posts
With my Tesla I was used to get software updates once in a while. I would get a neat notification on my phone, which was always exciting. New software updates are cool in my opinion, it shows that the manufacturer is actively working on the software / car.

With my Taycan I haven’t seen a software update yet. My dealer told me that they installed new software when I returned the car for a thorough cleaning. But I don’t notice anything different and I cannot find release notes anywhere.

So my question: Do you know where I can find release notes?
Bonus question: Do you need the data bundle package to get OTA updates?
Hi John. Hope you’re well. I have 2020 Taycan Turbo built sometime in May 2020. One of my greatest disappointments was the lack of Wireless CarPlay. I couldn’t be a car car of this level didn’t have a functioning Wireless CarPlay. I have asked consistently at my dealership if there is a update that enables CarPlay to be told the 2021 has wireless CarPlay see a sales... brutal response. Yesterday I decide to phone the head of Taycan for Porsche in my country and ask. He knows I wasn’t happy and being a long time Porsche customer with more then porsche I feel like porsche listens to me. But here’s the thing yesterday when I asked the answer I got was incredibly disappointing... and makes regret buying a Taycan so early. There will likely not be any software update to enable CarPlay for the 2020 Taycan. I hope every single 2020 owner complains loudly to Porsche.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi John. Hope you’re well. I have 2020 Taycan Turbo built sometime in May 2020. One of my greatest disappointments was the lack of Wireless CarPlay. I couldn’t be a car car of this level didn’t have a functioning Wireless CarPlay. I have asked consistently at my dealership if there is a update that enables CarPlay to be told the 2021 has wireless CarPlay see a sales... brutal response. Yesterday I decide to phone the head of Taycan for Porsche in my country and ask. He knows I wasn’t happy and being a long time Porsche customer with more then porsche I feel like porsche listens to me. But here’s the thing yesterday when I asked the answer I got was incredibly disappointing... and makes regret buying a Taycan so early. There will likely not be any software update to enable CarPlay for the 2020 Taycan. I hope every single 2020 owner complains loudly to Porsche.
That is interesting, because here in the US that is not the answer we get. There is supposed to be a release, now sometimes in Q1 2021, to support this. Considering this was an advertised feature of the car when purchased I am not sure they can simply fail to release it, at least not here in the US.

And as much of a disappointment as it is consider grabbing a Car2Play adapter, it works great and gives you wireless carplay now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is interesting, because here in the US that is not the answer we get. There is supposed to be a release, now sometimes in Q1 2021, to support this. Considering this was an advertised feature of the car when purchased I am not sure they can simply fail to release it, at least not here in the US.

And as much of a disappointment as it is consider grabbing a Car2Play adapter, it works great and gives you wireless carplay now.
I totally agree I fully expected wireless CarPlay and suing or organizing a class action has entered my mind (I’m semi retired). I hope you’re right and that update is coming. I’m expecting a call back on another matter concerning the car from the head Taycan today. I did break down and order a device that will give me wireless CarPlay through a Bluetooth connection.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I totally agree I fully expected wireless CarPlay and suing or organizing a class action has entered my mind (I’m semi retired). I hope you’re right and that update is coming. I’m expecting a call back on another matter concerning the car from the head Taycan today. I did break down and order a device that will give me wireless CarPlay through a Bluetooth connection.
The one I use plugs into the USB port, as I am not aware of any bluetooth. Your phone then connects via WiFi to the device. I am guessing we are talking about the same device. I actually told me local Porsche dealer to start offering those to the customers who are waiting, they don't cost that much. It is a small gesture of goodwill.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One other thing is I find the dealers know sweet F$&@ all about Taycan. I had service advisor ask me if I had a Level 3 charger at home... and this guy is suppose to the Taycan SA. This to say I don’t trust anything the dealer says about Taycan but instead go directly to the product manager...

·
Registered
33 Posts
The one I use plugs into the USB port, as I am not aware of any bluetooth. Your phone then connects via WiFi to the device. I am guessing we are talking about the same device. I actually told me local Porsche dealer to start offering those to the customers who are waiting, they don't cost that much. It is a small gesture of goodwill.
I stand corrected I think mine will connect via wifi. I totally agree that Porsche should be sending these devices out to 2020 owners. I think I muttered this point yesterday to my wife as she continued to ignore me. Lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts