Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a 2020 Taycan you can expect a new software update starting today.

Porsche extensively updated its all-electric Taycan last September for the new model year. Now, Taycan customers whose electric sports car was delivered in the 2020 model year can benefit from key new features, too.

Porsche is making the software update available free of charge on a worldwide basis. It includes improvements to driving dynamics, new intelligent charging functions, additional functions for the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system and additional Porsche Connect features.

From chassis to navigation: overview of the new update features
For the Taycan models with adaptive air suspension, the update includes the new Smartlift function. This allows the Taycan to be programmed so that its ride height is automatically raised at certain recurring locations such as road humps or garage driveways. Another of the updates is optimised chassis control, which improves slip control and therefore acceleration in the Taycan Turbo S. With this, the sprint from zero to 200 km/h takes just 9.6 seconds in conjunction with Launch Control – so it is 0.2 seconds faster than before (Taycan Turbo S: CO2 emissions combined 0 g/km, Electricity consumption combined 28.5 kwh/100 km).

The range of Charging Planner functions is also extended. For example, it is now possible to set the charge level with which the Taycan is to reach the specified destination. During a charging process with active route guidance, the driver receives a notification in the vehicle and in the app when the necessary charge level for the remaining route has been reached so that the journey can be continued. With the new Battery-Saving Charging function, charging capacity can be reduced from up to 270 kW to 200 kW if desired. The resulting lower battery temperature during charging results in lower-impact charging and a highly efficient charging process. The 22 kW on-board AC charger will be available as a retro-fit option in selected markets from the end of 2021.

Fine-tuned navigation system
The navigation system has also been fine-tuned: this includes the display of online information directly on the map as well as traffic information with lane-level precision. And in terms of entertainment, anyone who connects their Apple ID to their Taycan can now use the Apple Podcasts (including video streaming) and Apple Music Lyrics functions. Meanwhile, with wireless Apple CarPlay, iPhone apps are now available in the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system via a wireless connection.

The update also includes significant software optimisation for numerous control units, meaning that the transmission has to be adapted and the drive components calibrated when it has been completed. For this reason, the update is carried out as part of a free visit to a Porsche Centre.

Additional updates via Functions on Demand
Furthermore, additional updates can always be carried out on current-model-year Taycan via Functions on Demand (FoD). These are flexible upgrades that work on an over-the-air basis after the sports car has been originally configured and purchased. Current FoD, in addition to the Porsche Intelligent Range Manager (PIRM), are Power Steering Plus, Active Lane Keep Assist and Porsche InnoDrive. Customers can choose whether they want to purchase the respective function for their Taycan or take out a monthly subscription. The latter option includes a three-month trial period. After registering and selecting the desired function(s) in the Porsche Connect Store, the Porsche backend sends a data package to the Taycan via the mobile phone network, providing a connection can be established. Drivers are notified of the availability of such a data package by the Porsche Communication Management (PCM). Activation then takes a few minutes: a message appears on the central display after it has been successful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Spoke to my dealer. Champion Porsche in South FL. They are the largest Porsche dealer in the country and they do not know anything about this software update.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Spoke to my dealer. Champion Porsche in South FL. They are the largest Porsche dealer in the country and they do not know anything about this software update.
I was at my dealer today in Central NY, and they also had not heard of the program. Apparently the campaign information is just now available to dealers, only after it was made public on Porsche News and various Taycan forums. It appears that it will be a while before dealers will be ready to make appointments for the software update for 2020 Taycan.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The update is rolled out here in Germany since last week. Takes a day for older models.
Adds the 2021 features to the '20 cars, seems to work fine acc. to German forums…

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got a text from my local dealership informing me the update is available now; scheduled my visit for next week.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Who did you speak to at Champion? My car is scheduled to go in Tomorrow for the updated software. Since mine is a 2021 the update is not as extensive as the one for 2020. Mine will take up to 6 hours rather than two days. I also have received a simple patch in the past for my PCM which they helped identify and coordinate with Porsche on. My experience with Champion has been exceptional over the past 20 years, and while there are some rough edges with the new electric Taycan, they seem to be going through the learning curve very quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well that update didn’t do much on my 2021. surround view still missing camera to select , now all assistant driving features even if on don’t work, hood and trunk don’t open anymore with soft touch , pcm keeps looking up when used, yesterday during a launch control departure I got critical failure and awd not available with very rough switch between 1st and second gear at 60 MPH .... great job porche

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is pretty pathetic that you have to take your car into the dealer for this. I have been driving Tesla model Ss since 2013 and the almost weekly upgrades happen in my garage or wherever I am. I have just ordered a 4S and hopefully Porsche will get there as well. I don’t need a nanny looking over my car for this.

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Taycan
23 Posts
I have a 2020 and my dealer will be doing my update today or tomorrow. They already had the car because we ordered a couple things that needed to be put on the car (clear reflectors and puddle lights). They said that if I could drop off the charger this morning we can get the update. Looking forward to it because it's been doing some weird things when charging (won't charge past 76%).

·
Registered
'17 Model S, '20 Taycan 4S, '12 Mercedes 450GL
21 Posts
Taking my 4S in next Monday for the update. The dealer has also requested that I bring in the Mobile Charger as there is an update for it as well. We did have a really weird glitch on the weekend where the volume got stuck and it kept increasing. I had to continuously scroll it down until I could pull off and turn the car off and then back on. Blasted us out of our seats. So ready for some new software bytes! :)

·
Registered
'17 Model S, '20 Taycan 4S, '12 Mercedes 450GL
21 Posts
It is pretty pathetic that you have to take your car into the dealer for this. I have been driving Tesla model Ss since 2013 and the almost weekly upgrades happen in my garage or wherever I am. I have just ordered a 4S and hopefully Porsche will get there as well. I don’t need a nanny looking over my car for this.
Yes, it's certainly more effort than the OTA updates by Tesla (I have a '17 Model S). However, I did have to take the S to Tesla service once when the OTA update failed, and it took them a week to figure it out and get it updated. The Tesla advantage I think is that building from scratch there was a lot less baggage from suppliers and components. On the other hand, there really is no comparison between the two cars in terms of everything except the software.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine is scheduled to go in on 19 April for it. I could have gotten it done sooner if not for the loaner car. 🤪

Looking forward to getting it just to see the improvements, but I am sure it will not have the feature I most want; the option to set my car auf Deutsch. :cautious: I really miss that from my Audi.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A friend and fellow Tesla owner just told me he read that the reason for going to the dealer was actually to install the firmware that enables over-the-air updates. If that's true, then it may never be necessary to return to the dealer for updates again. There are simple ways to document that a software installation is bit-for-bit identical to the source code. I'd guess that comparison of MD5 Hash values is the way that Tesla does safety-critical updates over the air with complete confidence. Perhaps my to be delivered in July S4 will probably never have to go in for a software update.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Who did you speak to at Champion? My car is scheduled to go in Tomorrow for the updated software. Since mine is a 2021 the update is not as extensive as the one for 2020. Mine will take up to 6 hours rather than two days. I also have received a simple patch in the past for my PCM which they helped identify and coordinate with Porsche on. My experience with Champion has been exceptional over the past 20 years, and while there are some rough edges with the new electric Taycan, they seem to be going through the learning curve very quickly.
Spoke to Doug. I would like to get wireless apple play. I will call back in the Summer. I think I will have a service due soon. Got my car in August,

·
Registered
4 Posts
my 21 4s is in at champion as well for an update but it has been in for a week so the update must be difficult

·
Registered
38 Posts
my 21 4s is in at champion as well for an update but it has been in for a week so the update must be difficult
My car was in only overnight at Champion. Seems like they have a big back log in service broadly. I brought mine in midday and had it back the next day. Everything updated and over the past 48 hours everything seems to work well with no bugs or issues.

·
Registered
2020 Taycan Turbo
12 Posts
Going in Monday for the updates. Apparently it requires adjustments to suspension and transmission when software updates.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Car was towed in on Friday March 26 because of the dreaded dead 12V battery. They have told me since Saturday that they were updating the software. Today they called and they said that they are having problems loading the S/W. And no idea if this also fixes the 12V issue as the dealership kind of denies that its a known problem... This is when I miss competition ...Only one dealer in LV..so you get what you get...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts