Taycan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have gone on long trips with your Taycan, have you taken your Charger with you or just solely relied on the infrastructure? I am debating if I should put mine into my car for a trip to the Northeast or just leave it home to save the space.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Murphy's law says if you don't take it with you it will be needed in some obscure situation.

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
138 Posts
For those of you that have gone on long trips with your Taycan, have you taken your Charger with you or just solely relied on the infrastructure? I am debating if I should put mine into my car for a trip to the Northeast or just leave it home to save the space.
it all depends on the availability of charging wherever it is you are traveling to. if you have L2 chargers close to where you are staying you could charge overnight.
it all comes down to the amount of pre trip planning that you do, I would advise that you spend a lot of time with the planning of the entire trip. then if you are still concerned you can bring your evse along but charging @110 is very very slow

·
Registered
14 Posts
I always have a charger with me. EA can be very temperamental and on many occasions I was unable to get a charge. Also in a pinch many RV sites have 220V hook ups.....And Roadside Assistance is the last resort to get them to tow you to a charge point if EA isnt working.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Plan ahead but make sure you join other networks so you can charge at other than ElectrifyAmerica. ChargePoint for instance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The problem I had was following ABRP without a plan B. My fault. Arrived at Grants Pass, Oregon to find all Electrify America chargers off line. Electrify America, while extremely personable, couldn't help. I've ordered a Lectron-Tesla Tap. But I think I might take another car for my next road trip. While all other Electrify America charging stops were successful, I found myself calling them for help or resets nearly every other stop. Seemed most "charging errors" were in rural areas where the chargers sit for days without use. If I do another road trip, I'll be better prepared. It looks like you are preparing better.

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
138 Posts
The problem I had was following ABRP without a plan B. My fault. Arrived at Grants Pass, Oregon to find all Electrify America chargers off line. Electrify America, while extremely personable, couldn't help. I've ordered a Lectron-Tesla Tap. But I think I might take another car for my next road trip. While all other Electrify America charging stops were successful, I found myself calling them for help or resets nearly every other stop. Seemed most "charging errors" were in rural areas where the chargers sit for days without use. If I do another road trip, I'll be better prepared. It looks like you are preparing better.
weren't there any chargers from other networks available? a quick look on plugshare shows a chargepoint unit literally across the road and a few L2 units within a mile.
if you are not planning properly what happened to you is the result.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, one 24kw nozzle was available for Plan B. Luckily it was not being used. After at least an hour charging we were able to check in late to our hotel. Plan C, with L2 chargers (if that one charger was being used), would have been rough without a Tesla tap. Electrify America is great when it works. It doesn't always work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts