Taycan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading many of these posts, I wonder whether to cancel my order for my 4ct (build date mid Jan). I need to drive this car. every day. if it leaves me stranded it would be a bad day. I’m fully up with the electric component. I’ve added 5 kW panels to my solar farm to power this thing. I’ve mapped possible trips to ensure EA or similar are available. watched all the vids.

I love the physical aspects, performance, and tech on this car, but when two of the three justifications go away, it makes me wonder if this car and I are a good fit.

can someone re-assure me so that I can rekindle love for this machine?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I drive my Turbo nearly every day - So far its never given me any issues as regards to reliability. Theres not a lot I can add, like any car there will always be cars with issues so theres no guarantees but from my perspective at least its been a big thumbs up.

One final thought. The range on my Turbo, based on my driving, is realistically 250 miles in the winter and say 275-285 in the summer (93KWH battery) so assuming u can charge at home (Which is super convenient) and do less then those milages on a daily basis then u should be in good shape. (California car so winters are mild of course)

·
Registered
287 Posts
After reading many of these posts, I wonder whether to cancel my order for my 4ct (build date mid Jan). I need to drive this car. every day. if it leaves me stranded it would be a bad day. I’m fully up with the electric component. I’ve added 5 kW panels to my solar farm to power this thing. I’ve mapped possible trips to ensure EA or similar are available. watched all the vids.

I love the physical aspects, performance, and tech on this car, but when two of the three justifications go away, it makes me wonder if this car and I are a good fit.

When I had ordered my 4CT and started reading this forum I also had strong second thoughts. I was quite sure I had made the right choice picking up the car at the nearby dealership rather than the Porsche Experience Center 400 miles away: I kept reading about cars becoming ‘bricks.’ I would have loved the track time, but surely did not want to experience a failure on my drive home. One thing I have seen on this forum is that there is one troll who despised his car and traded it for a Tesla he loves, and that all the other people who have had the brick trouble have had the problem fixed and there are no longer any posts of that type.

Honestly, I think that almost all of us continue to have smaller issues. Buying such a new car seems to mean that we are going to be beta testers for the company. It does seem that after releasing the car a bit too early Porsche is taking care of the issues in a sensible way: starting with the most serious and working down the list. As above, I have not seen any “the car just stopped” post in many months, and I do not recall any for the 4CT model.

My issues are things like:
settings I choose revert to something else at random times
I can’t remember how I set it in the first place, so when I get home I have to figure it out again
I get a warning that a turn indicator has failed - I switch it on and it clicks fast without the light a few times and then works fine again
The Nav system randomly comes on in German rather than English, and then resets itself next time I start the car
I get random warnings that I have the 2 settable ‘diamond‘ buttons set to the same function
Many people report problems with voice recognition (I don’t use it)

I also just got an email from my dealer asking me to schedule a free service visit just to make sure things are OK. I am guessing they would likely do a software upgrade at that time, and that seems to sometimes be a good thing and sometimes seems to break something else, according to the stream of posts I have seen.

But when I drive the car I am pleased with the way it handles. I am not as comfortable with it as I was with the 911 I had for 18 years before this 4CT, but I can see that I am becoming more familiar.

All software issues I have had are on non-critical systems.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drive my Turbo nearly every day - So far its never given me any issues as regards to reliability. Theres not a lot I can add, like any car there will always be cars with issues so theres no guarantees but from my perspective at least its been a big thumbs up.

One final thought. The range on my Turbo, based on my driving, is realistically 250 miles in the winter and say 275-285 in the summer (93KWH battery) so assuming u can charge at home (Which is super convenient) and do less then those milages on a daily basis then u should be in good shape. (California car so winters are mild of course)
Thanks for the confidence. I’ll probably cross my fingers and enjoy the car when it arrives. I live in central/south Texas so the hotter performance is good news.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I had ordered my 4CT and started reading this forum I also had strong second thoughts. I was quite sure I had made the right choice picking up the car at the nearby dealership rather than the Porsche Experience Center 400 miles away: I kept reading about cars becoming ‘bricks.’ I would have loved the track time, but surely did not want to experience a failure on my drive home. One thing I have seen on this forum is that there is one troll who despised his car and traded it for a Tesla he loves, and that all the other people who have had the brick trouble have had the problem fixed and there are no longer any posts of that type.

Honestly, I think that almost all of us continue to have smaller issues. Buying such a new car seems to mean that we are going to be beta testers for the company. It does seem that after releasing the car a bit too early Porsche is taking care of the issues in a sensible way: starting with the most serious and working down the list. As above, I have not seen any “the car just stopped” post in many months, and I do not recall any for the 4CT model.

My issues are things like:
settings I choose revert to something else at random times
I can’t remember how I set it in the first place, so when I get home I have to figure it out again
I get a warning that a turn indicator has failed - I switch it on and it clicks fast without the light a few times and then works fine again
The Nav system randomly comes on in German rather than English, and then resets itself next time I start the car
I get random warnings that I have the 2 settable ‘diamond‘ buttons set to the same function
Many people report problems with voice recognition (I don’t use it)

I also just got an email from my dealer asking me to schedule a free service visit just to make sure things are OK. I am guessing they would likely do a software upgrade at that time, and that seems to sometimes be a good thing and sometimes seems to break something else, according to the stream of posts I have seen.

But when I drive the car I am pleased with the way it handles. I am not as comfortable with it as I was with the 911 I had for 18 years before this 4CT, but I can see that I am becoming more familiar.

All software issues I have had are on non-critical systems.

I hope that helps.
Thanks David for the detailed response. Nice to have positive news in this forum. I’m looking forward to delivery. fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2021 Taycan RWD, Neptune Blue
6 Posts

I'm only one data point, but I've had my Taycan for six months and have had no problems. True, the voice recognition for the navigation system is poor, but the car has has been reliable and wonderful to drive. Plus, I'm getting >290 miles per charge, much, much more than the EPA rating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm only one data point, but I've had my Taycan for six months and have had no problems. True, the voice recognition for the navigation system is poor, but the car has has been reliable and wonderful to drive. Plus, I'm getting >290 miles per charge, much, much more than the EPA rating.
That’s great! thanks.

·
Registered
2012 Cayenne S | 2020 Taycan Turbo
46 Posts

Dude!!! You would be nuts to not take delivery of the Taycan 4CT you’ve ordered, especially if it’s a good looking color combination, you did a reasonable job of picking options and you are paying the dealer not more than the MSRP price.

Here are the financial reasons to accept delivery:

1. You won’t forfeit whatever deposit you put down ($5K?).

2. As soon as you title the Taycan you can take advantage of the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit for tax year 2022.

3. Given the current environment where Porsche dealerships have almost no new vehicle inventory and slightly used high quality models are selling for crazy high prices, you could use your Taycan 4CT for two weeks and, in the unlikely event you don’t fall in love with it, you could probably sell it used for a price anywhere between MSRP minus $2.5K and full MSRP price.

I don’t know what the tax laws are where you live but here in Arizona if you buy a used car from an individual (and not from a dealership) you pay ZERO sales tax and ZERO vehicle use tax. On a $100K+ purchase that’s worth about $8.25K in taxes avoided.

Now for the reliability related reasons to accept delivery of the Taycan 4CT you’ve ordered.

1. Any of the “brick” issues you’ve read or heard about were very few in number and were fixed via a software update more than a year ago. My 2020 Taycan Turbo was one of the earliest-built “Launch Edition” Taycans and I have had zero problems with it (and yes the software update was done to prevent any brick incidents).

2. The Taycan / Taycan CT is now in its 3rd year of production. Do you doubt that Porsche and all of its fanatical engineers haven’t worked all the kinks out by now? I sure don’t.

3. Historic Porsche Brand reliability. Porsche’s are well known and respected for their “over-engineering” of components, build quality and durability over time. Something like 96% of all Porsche’s sold in the last 25 years in the US are still registered and on the road today.

4. The Taycan REALLY IS a Porsche! Save for the roar of an engine / sound from the exhaust, the Taycan delivers an authentic Porsche driving experience. IMHO, because it’s an EV, the Taycan provides an elevated and superior driving experience.

For me, the combination of the Taycan’s elegant and futuristic cockpit / front dash, the genuine Porsche handling, the nearly silent cabin and the “100% of the torque from the get-go” acceleration, there is nothing better on the road today.

I hope this is helpful to you.

P.S. I saw one comment in this thread about real world range so I’ll weigh in in that. I live in the high Sonoran Desert so the summers are hot (but not killer hot). My experience in the summer has been that on an 85% battery charge my projected range is consistently between 258 and 262 miles. In the cooler late fall/ early winter months (like right now) my predicted range on an 85% battery charge is between 242 and 246 miles. I have ZERO range anxiety and, although I haven’t done so yet, I am confident that I could use the Electrify America network for any trips I might want to take to Las Vegas or SoCal.

·
Registered
2021 Taycan RWD, Cherry Red Metallic
20 Posts
Thanks for the confidence. I’ll probably cross my fingers and enjoy the car when it arrives. I live in central/south Texas so the hotter performance is good news.
I'm in North Texas and have only experienced one temperature-related event.

It was 110 out.
I parked in direct sunlight on hot pavement without shade.
I ran the A/C remotely while I was inside at my appointment for about an hour.
Then I came out and began driving it hard (full throttle launches as I always do.)

About halfway home the car went into limp mode (yellow turtle icon on the dash.)
It struggled to do even the speed limit at full throttle and barely made it into the garage.

After it cooled off it was perfectly fine and I've never seen the issue recur.

I now monitor battery temperature on the dash so I'll know to back off if I'm in a similar "torture test" heat scenario again. No other issues all summer long, just that one specific day with that specific combination of factors.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Since my reply above, I have had another failure: the Lane Change Assist has failed and has not come back. So, the lights in the edge of the mirror don’t warn me when I can already see a car next to me. I don’t consider it a big deal. The car warns me every time I turn it on and I need to find the time to take it in. The turn signal glitch has resolved itself.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Dude!!! You would be nuts to not take delivery of the Taycan 4CT you’ve ordered, especially if it’s a good looking color combination, you did a reasonable job of picking options and you are paying the dealer not more than the MSRP price.

Here are the financial reasons to accept delivery:

1. You won’t forfeit whatever deposit you put down ($5K?).

2. As soon as you title the Taycan you can take advantage of the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit for tax year 2022.

3. Given the current environment where Porsche dealerships have almost no new vehicle inventory and slightly used high quality models are selling for crazy high prices, you could use your Taycan 4CT for two weeks and, in the unlikely event you don’t fall in love with it, you could probably sell it used for a price anywhere between MSRP minus $2.5K and full MSRP price.

I don’t know what the tax laws are where you live but here in Arizona if you buy a used car from an individual (and not from a dealership) you pay ZERO sales tax and ZERO vehicle use tax. On a $100K+ purchase that’s worth about $8.25K in taxes avoided.

Now for the reliability related reasons to accept delivery of the Taycan 4CT you’ve ordered.

1. Any of the “brick” issues you’ve read or heard about were very few in number and were fixed via a software update more than a year ago. My 2020 Taycan Turbo was one of the earliest-built “Launch Edition” Taycans and I have had zero problems with it (and yes the software update was done to prevent any brick incidents).

2. The Taycan / Taycan CT is now in its 3rd year of production. Do you doubt that Porsche and all of its fanatical engineers haven’t worked all the kinks out by now? I sure don’t.

3. Historic Porsche Brand reliability. Porsche’s are well known and respected for their “over-engineering” of components, build quality and durability over time. Something like 96% of all Porsche’s sold in the last 25 years in the US are still registered and on the road today.

4. The Taycan REALLY IS a Porsche! Save for the roar of an engine / sound from the exhaust, the Taycan delivers an authentic Porsche driving experience. IMHO, because it’s an EV, the Taycan provides an elevated and superior driving experience.

For me, the combination of the Taycan’s elegant and futuristic cockpit / front dash, the genuine Porsche handling, the nearly silent cabin and the “100% of the torque from the get-go” acceleration, there is nothing better on the road today.

I hope this is helpful to you.

P.S. I saw one comment in this thread about real world range so I’ll weigh in in that. I live in the high Sonoran Desert so the summers are hot (but not killer hot). My experience in the summer has been that on an 85% battery charge my projected range is consistently between 258 and 262 miles. In the cooler late fall/ early winter months (like right now) my predicted range on an 85% battery charge is between 242 and 246 miles. I have ZERO range anxiety and, although I haven’t done so yet, I am confident that I could use the Electrify America network for any trips I might want to take to Las Vegas or SoCal.
The "guesstimate" range meter is always wrong. My car has seen the "actual" range ONE time that the guesstimate started with.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The "guesstimate" range meter is always wrong. My car has seen the "actual" range ONE time that the guesstimate started with.
The guesstimator is just an algorithm based upon past usage, with the most recent use having greater weight. I live at the top of a 2 mile steep grade, so the estimate when I get home assumes I will keep climbing, not coast to the bottom with regen. So mine is never correct either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts