Taycan Forum banner

Road Trip Charging Costs: Porsche vs Tesla vs Ford

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Stevexige 
#1 · (Edited)
Interesting video showing how to use a free tool to calculate long-distance routes, and compare the costs of a route depending on the charging networks available for each vehicle. The video producers are Tesla owners, and seem to prefer their Tesla over a Taycan, but the video is still useful to learn more about this tool and how the costs compare for different EVs over a long-distance road trip.

One criticism I have of the video however is that it does not mention that Taycan includes charging for the first three years at Electrify America stations, so the figures in this video are only correct after year 3 of Taycan ownership.

The tool: A Better Routeplanner

#2 ·
ABRP as it is called is a fairly well known tool in the EV community. However it does come with flaws. The estimated time of charging on the Taycan is very optimistic. They expect 15 minutes from 10-80% and 21 minutes to full which is straight up nonsense. The reason being is that the makers are Tesla drivers and they use whatever they can extrapolate from spec sheets. I have used the tools for other EVs and I know that the Teslas are very accurate, but other EVs not. For example the 10-80% time on a Taycan is about 20-25 minutes depending on how cold it was and the 10 to full is around 30-40 minutes and not 21.
If you add the missing time to the list you end up with additional 40-50 minutes as they predicted.

So in total it takes 4-5 more hours on this 1000mile trip than it would with a Tesla Model 3. And that to the tune of 150,000$ more. The Model S was also 3-4 hours less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.