Taycan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 7-1/2 year of driving Model S's I'm ready for something else. Test drove a 93Kw 4S today and loved it. In terms of fit, finish, handling, and overall quality it is in another league than Tesla. My issue is range. We have a second home 195 miles away and we drive back and forth to regularly, 20-30 times a year. It is at 7600 feet and so we have a 6600 foot vertical climb. My first model S had a 235 mile range and I could make it the 195 miles with about 10 miles left as long as I didn't go over 60 miles an hour. Of course, driving back down I could drive 10 over and get back with 70 miles left. My S100 D has a 330 mile range and I make this drive at 10 mph over, using 270 miles of range to get there. So on paper, the 4S is a dead duck. I explained all this to my Porsche dealer and they of course pointed to all the studies that show the conservative rating of the Porsche and they "promise" that I will be able to make it with no problems. They will not give me a money back guarantee, however. They are considering letting me take a used turbo up there to try it.

My question to the forum: does anybody have real world experience driving to elevation? Would the Turbo and the 4S have the same range?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Out of spec does a level test at 70mph and it gets about 280 miles so thats a decent starting point, maybe your dealer can loan you a taycan to test?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out of spec does a level test at 70mph and it gets about 280 miles so thats a decent starting point, maybe your dealer can loan you a taycan to test?
What does ”out of spec” mean? They are considering letting me test with a used Taycan turbo they have.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In range mode, you will make it.

However, I think the biggest difference in range between Tesla and Taycan is the fun factor. The Taycan performance-wise just delivers.
If you're disciplined, the 4S can be driven at 20KWs or below. Also, go for smaller tyres.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After 7-1/2 year of driving Model S's I'm ready for something else. Test drove a 93Kw 4S today and loved it. In terms of fit, finish, handling, and overall quality it is in another league than Tesla. My issue is range. We have a second home 195 miles away and we drive back and forth to regularly, 20-30 times a year. It is at 7600 feet and so we have a 6600 foot vertical climb. My first model S had a 235 mile range and I could make it the 195 miles with about 10 miles left as long as I didn't go over 60 miles an hour. Of course, driving back down I could drive 10 over and get back with 70 miles left. My S100 D has a 330 mile range and I make this drive at 10 mph over, using 270 miles of range to get there. So on paper, the 4S is a dead duck. I explained all this to my Porsche dealer and they of course pointed to all the studies that show the conservative rating of the Porsche and they "promise" that I will be able to make it with no problems. They will not give me a money back guarantee, however. They are considering letting me take a used turbo up there to try it.

My question to the forum: does anybody have real world experience driving to elevation? Would the Turbo and the 4S have the same range?
Elevation plays a big role. My work is some 100 km away from home, elevation change is around 550m.
The difference between going up and down is around 25%. The lowest I got on the way up was 18 kw/100km, while going down was 14.4 kw. This was achieved by driving 80km/h

1 - 6 of 6 Posts