Taycan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister purchased a Tesla S in 2019, shortly after this I drove it and was blown away b y the drivability. I had never driven an electric car before and was impressed by the ease of accelerations, the effortless and abundant torque but wasn't sure about the interior design. I also recently purchased a 2015 Porsche 911.1 GTS, I was impressed with Porsche's effort to upgrade the interior in contrast to the 997 predecessor. I bought this car with the intent of using it as a weekend toy.

My daily drivers typically get driven around 20-25K miles yearly, I keep these cars for 5-7 years and do my best to find a great buy on a car that is 1 to 2 years old. My last daily driver was a 2013 Lexus LS460 F-Sport that I bought in 2015 with 30K miles on it, the first owner drove it for around a year, went through a few sets of tires, brakes and hated the brake squealing that he couldn't solve. I was happy to take it off of his hands for 1/2 of the sticker price, drove it for 7 years, found the "right" brake pads and declare it "the best car I have ever owned". A few months ago I decided the time had come to sell the Lexus and pick up the Tesla S which I assumed I could find slightly used and at a great price.I looked for a while and just could not get past the build quality of the interior, the interior layout and the lack of standard controls. I spend a lot of time in my car and need to be surrounded by a useable and good looking interior that is laid out properly. I knew that an electric car was the direction for me to go and decided that if I wanted to drive a car that satisfied myself I would need to look at what else the auto industry offered that would be an acceptable daily driver.

Being a recently new Porsche family member I decided to look at the Taycan, I test drove it a few times, the first time a 135K version 4S and the second time was a 160K example. For me, this was more money than I would be able to stomach spending on my daily driver and my wife more than likely wouldn't be accepting of this situation. She had bought into the Tesla S and expected me to buy the Tesla. I started messing around with the Porsche.com configurator and watching every YouTube review I could find. this is when I had my spiritual awakening and decided that the best Tesla didn't beat the worst Taycan and if I can find a base model without heavy options I could possibly have a Taycan for 80K + delivery, tax & license. I called a few local dealerships looking for a build spot and was hit with a lot of "NO" and maybe in a few years, I even had a few dealerships tell me that I would need to pay a premium with one being 15K over sticker. On my 3rd day of the hunt I found a new Taycan in Annapolis Maryland, a base model with no options, no premium package, no big battery, the very least expensive and stripped down version. I called, bought it and had it shipped to California (where I live). I was a little stressed out that it look cheap and not have the amenities I enjoyed with my Lexus. The car finally arrived a few weeks later and I was delighted with the build, it doesn't have the adjustable suspension electric folding mirrors or ventilated seats but it does have just about everything else I enjoy including heated seats, navigation, direct cell phone charging, assisted parking, back-up camera, Apply Play, Sirius XM radio and much more. I am thoroughly enjoying the car, I did swap the 19" aero wheels for the 21" Mission wheel after finding a set of wheels for 3K on another forum, tinted the windows and voila, my daily driver. another advantage over Tesla is that Porsche still qualifies for a Federal tax exemption of $7,500.00, Tesla's ran out in 2018. This makes the offset between an equally built Tesla S substantial, somewhere around 20-30K. I am happy with my decision and am satisfied with my zero option base model.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
866 Posts
Sounds like you were able to get exactly what you wanted. Congrats.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was in the same situation. I wanted the base and nothing else and they were as scarce as an honest politician. Fortunately when I finally decided to buy one in January the dealer had pre ordered one just like I was after but with the premium package so immediately bought it. $92k and change out the door. I am very happy with the premium package now that I have it. :)

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
866 Posts
I was going to order a base but wound up buying a 4S for $97,000. Don’t think I could do that today.

·
Registered
2021 Base Taycan Black with Black and Limestone Beige Interior
26 Posts
I did exactly the same thing. Found one in NYC with only option of 3 person rear seat and heated steering wheel.
Damn sure wish I could score some Mission E Rims for 3K.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
866 Posts
I did exactly the same thing. Found one in NYC with only option of 3 person rear seat and heated steering wheel.
Damn sure wish I could score some Mission E Rims for 3K.
If you do please let us know.

Reactions: Bill H
1 - 6 of 6 Posts