Taycan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to hear from current Taycan owners if they have hit up any Electrify Charger and started to use their free 3yrs 30min charging session and how all that is working out. Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Curious to hear from current Taycan owners if they have hit up any Electrify Charger and started to use their free 3yrs 30min charging session and how all that is working out. Thanks
I have not as of yet. I charge at home each night and at my office (first time today) during the day. I am commuting 134 miles per day and have still been fine driving in and then driving home, about 70 miles of range left. I started charging car to 85% last night and the range indicated was 187 miles. Looked like I could have gotten about 194 miles on 85% charge. I saw an indicated 221 mile range on 100% charge earlier this week.

I will try one of the Electrify America chargers next week just to see how it goes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have tried a few times and I have a lot of issues with Electrify America (not the car). Their charges in my area are most often than not not working properly, reporting issues doesn’t result in any action other than lip service. They opened a new multi stall fast charging near my work and the two 350KW chargers didn’t work (one was red failed, other would fail at starting a charge even after customer service rebooted the units). I went back a week later and nothing had been done about either and when I called they said it has been noted and it would be taken care of but no time frame. So to me they are a joke.

I had similar experience at their own headquarters in Virginia where card readers wouldn’t work (using my Jaguar not the Porsche included free charging), wouldn’t charge at full speed or would fail to start. Other cars there at the time (including an Audi ETron SUV) has similar issues.

I reported the events to Porsche (owned by same parent company, VW group) and they took it much more seriously the EA seemed to do. Unless EA massively improves commitment to uptime and fast repairs they are more of a PR exercise than anything I would every rely on on a road trip.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Interesting. I was told to download and sign up for “ChargePoint” service. I downloaded the app and have it ready to go. They have a lot more charge stations available not many are lot fast chargers, have to really seek those out. It seems the fast charger networks are pretty lame as far as I can see. I plan my driving around a 185 mile max range. If I have to take a “real” road trip I will use the Tahoe or the Panamera Hybrid.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well that is the whole point of EA, it is the only one that supports the Taycan fast chargers. If they worked it is amazing, you can drain down to 5-10% and get a near full charge in 15-20 minutes IF IT worked and you pre-heat the car by setting a destination to charge. At 50K or even 150KW chargers its not as fast, and with 150KW unless you have the 400-800v converter option it has to be an 800V capable one (which again its probably EA and is, but maybe same issues).

I suggest using PlugShare as it covers all networks and lets you filter and charge. But I have the apps and have signed up for all the major providers. All have a no monthly but higher rate plan, or you can pay a bit at lower rates if you plan to use a lot. So PlugShare, EVGo, SemaConnect, Blink are all some of them. All appear on PlugShare including free municipal charging stations.

Also A Better Route Planner is a good way to plan and see what a road trip would look like.

·
Registered
154 Posts
So far I have been driving my "normal" route and its worked out fine. I commute about 135 miles a day and charge to 85%. I show about 185 mile range. I can do the commute without tapping off but I have been charging at my office. It works for now. I have range anxiety and as we have discussed, that EA or other charging options are not reliable enough for me to consider I wouldn't attempt a drive 200 miles one way. Frankly, the Tesla network is more reliable and more plentiful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I drove from Omaha, Nebraska to my home in Scottsdale, Arizona. Used the EA chargers over my 1900 mile trip. Configured the car to go to 100% battery charge.

1. The charging stations mostly do work
2. Never had to wait, there were always booths or stations available.
3. All located in Walmart parking lots. I am now very familiar withe layout of Walmart, very consistent, and the food section was decent quality.
4. I only used the 350KW ports and achieved 250KW twice as the max speed.
5. The max charging speed of 250KW does not last long, it quickly goes down to 150KW and as you go past 85% it drops off dramatically.
6. My average charge time was about 45 mins due to lower speed rates (Usually it would start at 150KW and drop off from there quite quickly)
7. Overall, it was a decent experience, we were in no rush, really enjoyed getting to know the car (There is a LOT to learn)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drove from Omaha, Nebraska to my home in Scottsdale, Arizona. Used the EA chargers over my 1900 mile trip. Configured the car to go to 100% battery charge.

3. All located in Walmart parking lots. I am now very familiar withe layout of Walmart, very consistent, and the food section was decent quality.
5. The max charging speed of 250KW does not last long, it quickly goes down to 150KW and as you go past 85% it drops off dramatically.
6. My average charge time was about 45 mins due to lower speed rates (Usually it would start at 150KW and drop off from there quite quickly)
7. Overall, it was a decent experience, we were in no rush, really enjoyed getting to know the car (There is a LOT to learn)

Congrats on the delivery .. saw your other post .. stunning car.

·
Registered
146 Posts

You can achieve 200+ KWHr if you start at a very low SOC, make sure battery is preconditioned by setting charger as destination to allow car to bring battery up to temperature. But that is one of my frustration, EA chargers don't deliver what they say, and for me charging at lower rates defeats one of the main strengths of the Taycan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can achieve 200+ KWHr if you start at a very low SOC, make sure battery is preconditioned by setting charger as destination to allow car to bring battery up to temperature. But that is one of my frustration, EA chargers don't deliver what they say, and for me charging at lower rates defeats one of the main strengths of the Taycan.
Sorry, being slow, SOC, is that State Of Charge? So even though the charging stations are in the route planner, will the car will precondition even though the charging station is not the final destination? I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes attached is a charge rate diagram I have found that shows the charge rate based on State Of Charge (SOC) you start with. But the battery also has to be preconditioned to a temperature. Apparently if you set a charge point as a final or intermediate destination in nav the car will begin preconditioning the battery for optimal charging.

·
Super Moderator
778 Posts

How long did it take to get to an 85% charge?

Also, welcome to the forum!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts