Taycan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been lurking on here for a bit but I've finally decided to pull the trigger. I found a Taycan 4s that's loaded with options that's a stock car at a nearby dealer. The only issue that I'm having is that the dealer is refusing to budge on the price. I don't feel like I'm asking a lot but they're unwilling to move from MSRP. They have 5 Taycans and given the current auto market, I feel like even on a car as desirable as this, they should make some concession. I was actually pretty set on an e-Tron before seeing the Taycan and Audi was willing to do 20% off sticker plus 0% for 72 months. I know the demand is gone from the e-Tron but still I'm having a hard time justifying paying so much more and not getting anything off MSRP when I can get such a good deal on the Audi. Has anyone had any luck negotiating on a stock car?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I share your view that pricing for these, like all cars, should be more flexible given the depressed market environment right now. But until there is significantly more supply than there is now, I think the dealers are confident they can sell every Taycan they get in at MSRP for the foreseeable future. And I believe it will take some time for the back log of orders and supply globally to catch up with demand. You would need to wait until next year to get a real discount. I am sure someone on the forum was able to get a little off but I would be surprised if it is more than a token right now.

Unless you don't care about the driving experience or can't justify the higher priced vehicle, I don't think the satisfaction of getting a good discount on a less exciting car would be worth the loss in driving experience for the 4,5 or 6 years you may keep the car. Just my two cents (worth zero). Good luck!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi everyone, I've been lurking on here for a bit but I've finally decided to pull the trigger. I found a Taycan 4s that's loaded with options that's a stock car at a nearby dealer. The only issue that I'm having is that the dealer is refusing to budge on the price. I don't feel like I'm asking a lot but they're unwilling to move from MSRP. They have 5 Taycans and given the current auto market, I feel like even on a car as desirable as this, they should make some concession. I was actually pretty set on an e-Tron before seeing the Taycan and Audi was willing to do 20% off sticker plus 0% for 72 months. I know the demand is gone from the e-Tron but still I'm having a hard time justifying paying so much more and not getting anything off MSRP when I can get such a good deal on the Audi. Has anyone had any luck negotiating on a stock car?

hi there, 5x Porsche owner here, always custom ordered my cars & paid full price for all them including my Taycan Turbo.. you will have a hard time finding a Porsche dealer that will make you a sweetheart deal on a brand new, barely launched out of the gates car even if it is stock/inventory. It is just the way the cookie crumbles when it comes to the Porsche brand

Audi vs Porsche sales tactic don't have much in common even when both fall under the VW Group umbrella. You would have a better/fair chance for negotiation if:

-the Taycan 4S were 2-3yrs old/pre-own certified + multiple pre-owned inventory vehicles
-Taycan Cross Turismo, Taycan "Macan" and other Taycan lineups have hit dealerships and their hype + solid sales data for Porsche to know what/which model sells more

until then, sorry but its the price for admittance into the Porsche family. Good luck and welcome to the family if you do decide to get the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi there, 5x Porsche owner here, always custom ordered my cars & paid full price for all them including my Taycan Turbo.. you will have a hard time finding a Porsche dealer that will make you a sweetheart deal on a brand new, barely launched out of the gates car even if it is stock/inventory. It is just the way the cookie crumbles when it comes to the Porsche brand

Audi vs Porsche sales tactic don't have much in common even when both fall under the VW Group umbrella. You would have a better/fair chance for negotiation if:

-the Taycan 4S were 2-3yrs old/pre-own certified + multiple pre-owned inventory vehicles
-Taycan Cross Turismo, Taycan "Macan" and other Taycan lineups have hit dealerships and their hype + solid sales data for Porsche to know what/which model sells more

until then, sorry but its the price for admittance into the Porsche family. Good luck and welcome to the family if you do decide to get the car.
While I can understand that under normal circumstances, I find it hard to believe that the current market supports that strategy, especially on a stock car. Are a lot of people spending 150k-200k for a car that isn't exactly what they want? If the stock car was configured exactly as I would order one or if I was ordering, I'd be willing to pay MSRP.

·
Registered
160 Posts
While I can understand that under normal circumstances, I find it hard to believe that the current market supports that strategy, especially on a stock car. Are a lot of people spending 150k-200k for a car that isn't exactly what they want? If the stock car was configured exactly as I would order one or if I was ordering, I'd be willing to pay MSRP.
well here is the thing about us Porsche nuts/fans/owners.. we tend to purchase our Porsche car just the way we like them: custom optioned. Very rarely we fan-bois buy inventory. Gonna venture an educated guess that most inventory Taycans you see at dealerships are cars that customers backed out of for 1 reason or another.

You are not just buying the car, you are buying the Porsche experience and with it either continue to foster your built relationship with the brand/dealership/sales rep or begin that process. Porsche is not a "need" but more of a "i really really want" kinda purchase. The Taycan lineup has yet to enjoy 1 full sales yr, there is still plenty of demand on the books to fulfill and with that, much needed & sustained sales data for Porsche to gauge which trim level of the Taycan is more desired is still unavailable to Porsche, including additional Taycan model lineups that are ready to hit dealerships in next yr and the yr after that. Once you have additional Taycan lineups ( Sedan, Cross Turismo, Macan, Panamera, ect .. ) & their respective trim levels + sales data + depreciation data for used/pre-owned/certified you as a customer will have a better chance to negotiate

·
Registered
25 Posts
well here is the thing about us Porsche nuts/fans/owners.. we tend to purchase our Porsche car just the way we like them: custom optioned. Very rarely we fan-bois buy inventory.

You are not just buying the car, you are buying the Porsche experience and with it either continue to foster your built relationship with the brand/dealership/sales rep or begin that process....
These statements are absolutely correct. It's a bit of a mystery from the outside, but once you have been engrained into the Porsche culture and experience, you want your cars spec'ed 100% perfect, down to the headrest crest and door sill trim. And you'll be willing to pay full price for it, just like the rest of us.

As for stock units? They will likely still sell for MSRP for the remainder of 2020, if not beyond that. That's just how the Porsche machine works.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fact that they have so many stock units which I agree were cancelled customer orders proves my point. The market, even for these cars is not healthy. That being said, I've decided to wait a month or so and see what happens with the market. Either they'll sell and I'll know MSRP is justified or the dealer will get antsy that he has a million dollars in Taycans about to rack up interest on his floor plan and will start to deal. If I'm going to buy at MSRP, I'll track down a Turbo instead of a 4s since I might as well at these prices considering the turbo is more likely to be equipped the way I'd order it.

It's been discussed a little but does anyone have the standard interior and have any opinions on it? That's the main issue with the 4s I'm looking at. It has everything I want with a few things that I don't but can accept however it's the standard interior. I really love the look of the leather interior. It's tough spending 150k on a car that the interior isn't perfect in.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The fact that they have so many stock units which I agree were cancelled customer orders proves my point. The market, even for these cars is not healthy. That being said, I've decided to wait a month or so and see what happens with the market. Either they'll sell and I'll know MSRP is justified or the dealer will get antsy that he has a million dollars in Taycans about to rack up interest on his floor plan and will start to deal. If I'm going to buy at MSRP, I'll track down a Turbo instead of a 4s since I might as well at these prices considering the turbo is more likely to be equipped the way I'd order it.

It's been discussed a little but does anyone have the standard interior and have any opinions on it? That's the main issue with the 4s I'm looking at. It has everything I want with a few things that I don't but can accept however it's the standard interior. I really love the look of the leather interior. It's tough spending 150k on a car that the interior isn't perfect in.
you kinda hit the nail on its head with "It's tough spending $150k on a car that the interior isn't perfect".. many if not most of us here in the forum have been stuck on a pre-waitlist prior to the actual deposits opening up and awaiting dealership allocation for ones desired Taycan and trim level. You have a mix of folks here that are new to the brand, bought launch cars vs. being stuck waiting for build allocation by dealer and then there those, like myself, who have been Porsche owner a few times over, patiently waiting for the past few years since concept Mission E launch to be given an allocation by my dealer to custom design/build my Taycan. At 150k you want the way you want it, no if's, but's, or's. So the only advice i can give you is that if you don't like the interior options on inventory cars you have 2 options:

1. build your own car and get what you want & how you want
2. spend some time researching some nationwide inventory Taycan and be prepared to pounce on a car that suits your taste that has all the options you seek.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Standard interior is totally suitable for a Porsche, especially if you see and drive it as a standalone car. It is a very subjective choice for each buyer, depending on their interior tastes. If you come from Range Rover and Mercs and you're accustomed to luxuriously soft leather, you will want the extended leather. However, if you come from sporty BMWs or Audis, you might not need it. You'll have to put them to a butt-test comparison.

I personally don't mind the standard leather interior - I have it in my 911. I don't miss having extended full leather at all. However, I did spec full leather for my Taycan!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve just purchased a Taycan Turbo that is on a ship and is about to depart Emden (scheduled for departure tomorrow!). This will be the 5th Porsche I have bought since 2013, including a 991.2 GTS that was an ordered car, and I have never paid MSRP. In fact for the GTS I got 8%, and the Taycan discount was very generous. If you have other options I’d shop elsewhere.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Welcome @flickroll

Its great to see someone loyal to Porsche purchase their first EV. Curious to see how you spec'd your build with all the options we can choose from. Are you able to share your build sheet? Or VIN decoder results?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any suggestions for what kind of discount to aim for on a low mileage (~500) turbo? The dealers in my area are really sticking to MSRP on new cars even though there are quite a few in stock. I’m not sure what to aim for on the demo or a new stock car.

·
Super Moderator
760 Posts
I’ve just purchased a Taycan Turbo that is on a ship and is about to depart Emden (scheduled for departure tomorrow!). This will be the 5th Porsche I have bought since 2013, including a 991.2 GTS that was an ordered car, and I have never paid MSRP. In fact for the GTS I got 8%, and the Taycan discount was very generous. If you have other options I’d shop elsewhere.
So are you just a good negotiator or is maybe your dealer just loves you. I haven't heard of many folks getting much, if any, discount on the Taycans.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So are you just a good negotiator or is maybe your dealer just loves you. I haven't heard of many folks getting much, if any, discount on the Taycans.
I received a bit of a discount by way of a higher trade value than other dealers. It wasn't great but still a net of a few percent off. Dealers are definitely not keen to discount the vehicles and some were quite set on this, mine was a little more reasonable and met me in the middle.

·
Super Moderator
760 Posts
I received a bit of a discount by way of a higher trade value than other dealers. It wasn't great but still a net of a few percent off. Dealers are definitely not keen to discount the vehicles and some were quite set on this, mine was a little more reasonable and met me in the middle.
Good info. The value of the trade in always helps. Sometimes if you own what they really want it can work to your advantage.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yeah Porsche won't be keen on budging from the MRSP of a brand new model. They must've been impressed with whatever you traded in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Custom ordered my build and paid MSRP. Took delivery this past Labor Day weekend. No discount offered at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts