Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
287 Posts
So I contacted Porsche today to ask about Preconditioning the battery before charging. According to Porsche the Charge Planner only works with home charging when you are using the charger provided by Porsche. It has nothing to do with Public charging stations. To precondition the battery for Public charging stations you simply enter the location in navigation system and drive to the selected location. No other settings required.
Hmmm. From the manual (2021 pg 82)

“Preconditioning of the high-voltage battery shortens the charging time. Particularly during long-distance driving, initiate preconditioning of the high-voltage battery using the Charge Planner and use the timer or profile function to charge the battery with alternating current (AC) if possible.” This is in agreement with what I posted earlier which was taken from the digital downloaded “Good To Know” app.

So, some odd mixed messages here. One never charges quickly with AC, and having AC while driving long distances seems unlikely or impossible. It says use Charge Planner to precondition, but everybody here (except my failed attempt) does it just by using Navigation to a charger. My limited knowledge of translated German leads me to believe that, because of the placement of the “and” after Charge Planner, that they mean that the timer and profile functions need to be checked if charging with AC, which also does align with something I did read in the manual but I am not going to look up now.

I guess I will learn more the next time I use a public charger. Fed Ex keeps telling me there is another delay in delivering my wires for charging at home with AC, so using a public charger might happen.

In the Instrument Cluster section it shows an indicator light for preconditioning:

Book Publication Font Paper Document

I find nothing on where this indicator might be, but it is in the book after Lane Change Assist and I know where that light is, so I’ll look near there, below the first ‘tube’ on the left.

Yup, while I am learning, I am still in the “I miss my 911” stage of Taycan ownership. And I sure wish it was a foot narrower.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The preconditioning symbol is only for the interior. Has nothing to do with preconditioning the battery for charging.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The preconditioning symbol is only for the interior. Has nothing to do with preconditioning the battery for charging.
I won’t say you are wrong until I am sure, which may take weeks until I need to charge again, but it does send us back to the battery charging page which talks about preconditioning the battery, rather than preheating/cooling the interior.

I do wish this was all more clearly obvious.

Before I retired I did what is called ‘embedded programming,’ that is: programs which run machines rather than process transactions or do scientific simulations (I used to do that for NASA) for instance, and we put a great deal of effort into the user interface. And that also meant work with the technical writers who wrote the manuals. While all the Taycan stuff is better than much of what I have seen, it still needs work.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It is confusing but I was using that preheating/cooling to no avail in attempting to precondition the battery for charging. I asked my Tech at Porsche and he told me that was for the interior and not batter preconditioning. If you find out differently let me know.

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
183 Posts
It is confusing but I was using that preheating/cooling to no avail in attempting to precondition the battery for charging. I asked my Tech at Porsche and he told me that was for the interior and not batter preconditioning. If you find out differently let me know.
you are correct that the preconditioning button on the middle screen is for the interior.
that said your contact is displaying a clear lack of knowledge of how the car functions. there is battery preconditioning as well and the battery charges best when it is warmer than 85 or so degrees, there is an indicator that could be part of your display in the right screen module that gives you your battery temp. the easiest ways to get the battery warmed up for better charging is via the nav app, plug in the location of the charger and the battery will begin to warm the battery as you drive to the charger or some spirited driving will also warm the battery for charging.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
you are correct that the preconditioning button on the middle screen is for the interior.
that said your contact is displaying a clear lack of knowledge of how the car functions. there is battery preconditioning as well and the battery charges best when it is warmer than 85 or so degrees, there is an indicator that could be part of your display in the right screen module that gives you your battery temp. the easiest ways to get the battery warmed up for better charging is via the nav app, plug in the location of the charger and the battery will begin to warm the battery as you drive to the charger or some spirited driving will also warm the battery for charging.
That's exactly my understanding.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had started with that misunderstanding as well.

What has become clear to me is that the very logical German engineers are using “preconditioning” to refer to the high-voltage battery, while using “preheating/cooling” to refer to the interior of the car. It is an unfortunate piece of user interface programming that they put the button for “preheating/cooling” on a screen which is otherwise all about the battery, and you get to that screen by selecting the battery icon.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I decided to test the battery preconditioning today. When I left my home the outside temperature and battery temperature was 47 degrees. I drove 32 miles for brunch and the outside temperature and battery was 49 degrees. On the way back I set the navigation system for my local charging station. When I arrived the outside temperature was 58 degrees but the battery temperature had risen to 78 degrees. When I plugged in it quickly went to 85 degrees. I’ve now been charging for 14 minutes and the battery temperature is 96 degrees. I guess it works.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts