Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone pre-condition their battery before using public chargers? Now that the temperature has dropped I started pre-conditioning the batter before arriving at a EA charging station. I find it take several miles to accomplish this. My EA charging station is 1.5 miles from my apartment so its difficult to get any signifiant increase in that short amount of time. However, if I'm out driving and at least 20 miles from the station I can get the battery temperature to the mid 80's. What has been your experience?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Does anyone pre-condition their battery before using public chargers? Now that the temperature has dropped I started pre-conditioning the batter before arriving at a EA charging station. I find it take several miles to accomplish this. My EA charging station is 1.5 miles from my apartment so its difficult to get any signifiant increase in that short amount of time. However, if I'm out driving and at least 20 miles from the station I can get the battery temperature to the mid 80's. What has been your experience?
I went to a public charger for the first time last week. I decided that I turned on preconditioning much too close to the station. It is a 150kw EA station, and with my battery at 51% it charged at 2.2 to 2.4 miles per minute. From now on if I know I am going to the charge station I will turn on the preconditioning when I leave the house. It was much slower than I had guessed.

I had to move the 240V 50A receptacle I had installed for the home charger because once I held up all the parts, it just would not work. I got lazy and decided to just order the wire rather than go get it at the hardware store, so I am still waiting for the delivery … and thus am not charging at home just yet.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding. Short trips to the charging station don’t work well for preconditioning. Today’s charge proved that. Don’t think l’ll bother anymore unless I can drive longer before arriving at the charging station.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I went to a public charger for the first time last week. I decided that I turned on preconditioning much too close to the station. It is a 150kw EA station, and with my battery at 51% it charged at 2.2 to 2.4 miles per minute. From now on if I know I am going to the charge station I will turn on the preconditioning when I leave the house. It was much slower than I had guessed.

I had to move the 240V 50A receptacle I had installed for the home charger because once I held up all the parts, it just would not work. I got lazy and decided to just order the wire rather than go get it at the hardware store, so I am still waiting for the delivery … and thus am not charging at home just yet.
FWIW . . . I live in South Florida and have the RWD with the smaller battery pack. I've used EA on four occasions. Each time, I got 4 miles/minute.

As long as I'm on the website . . . I have gotten conflicting advice from four different guys at my dealership . . . two say to limit the charge to 85% and the other two say go to 100%. Any opinions any posters can offer will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
162 Posts
FWIW . . . I live in South Florida and have the RWD with the smaller battery pack. I've used EA on four occasions. Each time, I got 4 miles/minute.

As long as I'm on the website . . . I have gotten conflicting advice from four different guys at my dealership . . . two say to limit the charge to 85% and the other two say go to 100%. Any opinions any posters can offer will be appreciated.
this is a classic RTFM moment.
you cannot rely on the advice of any salesman, there are so many who are very clueless about their EV product.

the manual clearly states that for "normal" charging and the car sitting post charge you should charge to 80%. if you are planning to drive off as soon as the car is charged it is ok to charge to 100% but you will need to burn off 20% right away.

having the car sit at very high or very or very SOC is bad for the battery. your goal is to have the car at between 20% and 80% SOC when not driving the car.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

In the hot summer months here in Georgia I've gotten as high as 5.20 miles/minute because the battery temperature is in the high 80's but not at this time of year when the battery is usually in the mid to high 50's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How do you pre-condition ? Simply by plugging in the charger destination?

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No. You enter the location of the charging station in your navigation system and the car will pre heat the battery.

Reactions: DerekS

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2021 Taycan RWD, Cherry Red Metallic
18 Posts
I believe to precondition the battery for charging, the fast charger must be added to your GPS route. And it needs to be added as a charger not just by address, so the car knows what is up.

I do not believe the precool/heat button has anything to do with battery preconditioning. If I'm wrong please show me in the manual where it says so.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe to precondition the battery for charging, the fast charger must be added to your GPS route. And it needs to be added as a charger not just by address, so the car knows what is up.

I do not believe the precool/heat button has anything to do with battery preconditioning. If I'm wrong please show me in the manual where it says so.
Not sure if you are correct or not but I will tell you I simply put in my local EA station and it worked fine.

·
Registered
220 Posts

OK, with that button being on the Battery screen and next to the Direct Charging button, it seemed sensible it would have something to do with heating or cooling of the battery, but you are correct in that it does not. That button is for preheating or cooling of the interior of the car. I’ll avoid the rant about a sensible user interface.

Preconditioning the battery is through the Navigation and then the “…” options, and then Charge Planner on the PCM screen.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, with that button being on the Battery screen and next to the Direct Charging button, it seemed sensible it would have something to do with heating or cooling of the battery, but you are correct in that it does not. That button is for preheating or cooling of the interior of the car. I’ll avoid the rant about a sensible user interface.

Preconditioning the battery is through the Navigation and then the “…” options, and then Charge Planner on the PCM screen.
So I contacted Porsche today to ask about Preconditioning the battery before charging. According to Porsche the Charge Planner only works with home charging when you are using the charger provided by Porsche. It has nothing to do with Public charging stations. To precondition the battery for Public charging stations you simply enter the location in navigation system and drive to the selected location. No other settings required.

·
Registered
220 Posts
So I contacted Porsche today to ask about Preconditioning the battery before charging. According to Porsche the Charge Planner only works with home charging when you are using the charger provided by Porsche. It has nothing to do with Public charging stations. To precondition the battery for Public charging stations you simply enter the location in navigation system and drive to the selected location. No other settings required.
What you suggest is what I tried today, and I got 2F preheating in 6 miles + some hill climbing to a neighbor’s house. Essentially none.

How does one see that preconditioning the battery is happening?

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It really doesn't unless you drive a considerable distance before reaching the charging station. On short trips to the EA station I've pretty much given up using preconditioning and just let the charge heat up the battery.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Another (related) question: how much does the battery suffer being (super-) charged at a (very) low temperature? Is a (very) high temp worse than a (very) low temperature?
I don’t think many of us are really battery experts (if you are please help the discussion) but from what I have read the cold, if not VERY extreme, only slows the charging rate while heat is what harms the battery the most. On the ‘Information‘ tube the battery temperature is displayed with a red line for too hot. If my battery gets near that line I will stop charging.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don’t think many of us are really battery experts (if you are please help the discussion) but from what I have read the cold, if not VERY extreme, only slows the charging rate while heat is what harms the battery the most. On the ‘Information‘ tube the battery temperature is displayed with a red line for too hot. If my battery gets near that line I will stop charging.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by " if my battery gets near that line I will stop charging " Can you please elaborate.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by " if my battery gets near that line I will stop charging " Can you please elaborate.
I mean that if the battery temperature rises until it even approaches that line while charging, then I will stop charging well before it reaches the indicated ‘red line’ temperature. My experience with small Li-ion batteries is that heat is the thing that kills them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts