Taycan Forum banner

Did you test drive the Taycan before buying it (not just a pre-order)

• Absolutely!

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Nope, I was confident Porsche would make a fantastic driving EV

Votes: 7 58.3%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Just curious how many folks put their money down before actually buying the car.

To be clear, I'm not asking about a pre-order, but the actual order.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have had deposit on a Taycan and CrossTurismo upon/since concept unveil. Test drove Taycan Turbo 2x before deciding to take available Turbo allotment at my dealer and placed full deposit. Continue to have a deposit on a CrossTurismo

·
Registered
340 Posts
FOMO has been driving some Porsche guys I know to place a deposit early on without ever seeing the car. Then there's the fact its a Porsche...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Following the car since 2015....deposit 2017.......build "Fixed" and coming in 60-90 days. No 'test drive'.
So, the only caveat for me possibly not allowing the build to progress was seeing the body in the flesh. There are 40 or so driving reviews on-line so no shortage of information there.
I'm one of those who loved the Mission E body......in the end decided we could tolerate the Taycan body.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have seven Porsche dealership locations within about an hour's drive of my house. I've been in touch with five of them about seeing a Taycan. Two would not offer a test drive of a Taycan, but the other three were very eager to let me test drive their demo car. Interestingly, those two that didn't offer (or said "no" to) a test drive of the Taycan also have historically been reluctant to let me test drive Panameras or Cayennes or Macans also; I don't understand that philosophy. So I've bought multiple times from two other dealerships that are further in distance from my house -- their loss.

I learned from my seeing the Taycan in person that it is too small for me, so I'll be awaiting the Cross Turismo (or, if its ground clearance is not like that of the prototype shown a couple of years ago, the Macan BEV in a couple of years). It sounds like the spy photos of the CT being circulated online in recent months has it about as low as the Taycan sedan -- which for some of us is unacceptable (driveway dips, speed bumps, occasional gravel roads).

More seriously for me, early Taycan owners seem to be finding a lot of bugs in the software. This makes it more logical for me to wait for the CT in 2021, allowing Porsche a good year of ownership of the Taycan sedan to get some of the first-year kinks worked out.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have seven Porsche dealership locations within about an hour's drive of my house. I've been in touch with five of them about seeing a Taycan. Two would not offer a test drive of a Taycan, but the other three were very eager to let me test drive their demo car. Interestingly, those two that didn't offer (or said "no" to) a test drive of the Taycan also have historically been reluctant to let me test drive Panameras or Cayennes or Macans also; I don't understand that philosophy. So I've bought multiple times from two other dealerships that are further in distance from my house -- their loss.

I learned from my seeing the Taycan in person that it is too small for me, so I'll be awaiting the Cross Turismo (or, if its ground clearance is not like that of the prototype shown a couple of years ago, the Macan BEV in a couple of years). It sounds like the spy photos of the CT being circulated online in recent months has it about as low as the Taycan sedan -- which for some of us is unacceptable (driveway dips, speed bumps, occasional gravel roads).

More seriously for me, early Taycan owners seem to be finding a lot of bugs in the software. This makes it more logical for me to wait for the CT in 2021, allowing Porsche a good year of ownership of the Taycan sedan to get some of the first-year kinks worked out.
I'm surprised there are dealers that wouldn't let you test drive. Seems like a snobby way to treat customers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I drove a Turbo S and bought the 4S (Silver with Black/beige interior and aero wheels). Went to get on the highway while driving in Sport Plus and was rolling. It shifted to 1st gear and leaped onto the highway. Did it again in Sport and the acceleration was similar to my 991. Now the long wait. It's supposed to be here by August.

Chuck J

·
Registered
296 Posts
I drove a Turbo S and bought the 4S (Silver with Black/beige interior and aero wheels). Went to get on the highway while driving in Sport Plus and was rolling. It shifted to 1st gear and leaped onto the highway. Did it again in Sport and the acceleration was similar to my 991. Now the long wait. It's supposed to be here by August.

Chuck J
Congrats on the new 4S! Couple of questions for you, do you actually feel the transmission shift gears? and did you drive the 4S as well? or just the Turbo S?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks. I only drove the Turbo S. No i never felt the transmission shift up, but it was quite a shock when it shifted down when slightly rolling and leapt onto the highway. Having mostly driven 911s most of my life, the most discernible things were:
1. Very quite (and that's what I was looking for at my age)
2. Exceptional torque from being electric motor
3. Smooth ride and knew it was a larger car
4. Small vertical FOV out the central mirror.
5. Very comfortable seats.

Scheduled to be here August 21.

The 4S will be slightly faster than my 911, but it's definitely not a 911. The 992 feels more like a GT car also.

Chuck J

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks. I only drove the Turbo S. No i never felt the transmission shift up, but it was quite a shock when it shifted down when slightly rolling and leapt onto the highway. Having mostly driven 911s most of my life, the most discernible things were:
1. Very quite (and that's what I was looking for at my age)
2. Exceptional torque from being electric motor
3. Smooth ride and knew it was a larger car
4. Small vertical FOV out the central mirror.
5. Very comfortable seats.

Scheduled to be here August 21.

The 4S will be slightly faster than my 911, but it's definitely not a 911. The 992 feels more like a GT car also.

Chuck J
Do you have to keep adjusting the central mirror because of the small FOV?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Horizontal FOV is okay. Vertical FOV cuts off the top of the car for example seeing the lights on the top of a police car. I did not check to see if you can change the attitude of the car to eliminate that (dip the nose).

Chuck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Horizontal FOV is okay. Vertical FOV cuts off the top of the car for example seeing the lights on the top of a police car. I did not check to see if you can change the attitude of the car to eliminate that (dip the nose).

Chuck

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the honor -- and fun -- of being the first to drive a Taycan at both the Richmond and Virginia Beach Porsche dealerships in Central and SE Virginia. Both were very accommodating, especially the Virginia Beach location. I would never spend $160K (the price of a loaded 4S) without at least a couple test drives. The test drives sold me. This is the real deal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the honor -- and fun -- of being the first to drive a Taycan at both the Richmond and Virginia Beach Porsche dealerships in Central and SE Virginia. Both were very accommodating, especially the Virginia Beach location. I would never spend $160K (the price of a loaded 4S) without at least a couple test drives. The test drives sold me. This is the real deal.
The cars were identical black Turbo models, down to the smallest detail. Apparently what Porsche initially shipped to the US.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put the deposit down 2 years ago, pretty certain it would end up in my garage. When it came time to go in for my config appointment, I figured the test drive would just be a formality to confirm that it is a "real" Porsche. That question lasted all of ten seconds after getting behind the wheel (so three launches and a handful of turns...). Not only did it confirm that the Taycan is a Porsche, it blew my mind how much more fun it is than I ever expected, and frankly how much better it is than almost every car I've driven (ICE or EV).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts