Taycan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

we made a video on the aerodynamics of the Porsche Taycan:

I really hope you like it - looking forward to your comments!!

Cheers,

Wouter.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Fantastic video @Wouter Remmerie and welcome to the forum! Really informative and easy to follow along. When you were going through the car, was there anything that you didn't expect to see with what Porsche did with the Taycan?

I look forward to seeing you drive it in part 2!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fantastic video @Wouter Remmerie and welcome to the forum! Really informative and easy to follow along. When you were going through the car, was there anything that you didn't expect to see with what Porsche did with the Taycan?

I look forward to seeing you drive it in part 2!
Thanks a lot @Smitty11 !

Most aspects covered in the video can also be found on other cars, however, the execution was quite nice:
  • proper air curtains
  • really flat underfloor, with bolts/screws "sunk" into the panel (so they don't stick out)
  • aero rims: they also look cool, in my opinion!
  • smooth body work, smooth A-pillar (although we did see some vortex there, which we'll show in part 2)

What is a bit strange, is that the vent behind the rear wheels seems to be closed (at least on this model).
On some cars, such a vent is used to help clean up air.

Do you own a Taycan? Perhaps it could be interesting to see if those vents are open on your car!

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
Interesting video. Thanks for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Excellent video.

Reactions: Wouter Remmerie

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi everyone,

part 2 of the Porsche Taycan Aerodynamics has just been released!

Hope you like this one as well :)
Hello Wouter,
Very nice! I did like them both. Having done a great deal of computational simulation in the past, I am impressed with the correlation between computation and tufts on the car.

Do you think you will be doing something similar for the Turismo variants? Besides the major effects from the roofline, I am curious how much of a drag penalty one pays for the extra plastic bulges of the off-road design package.

Thanks much

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
774 Posts
Excellent video. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Wouter,
Very nice! I did like them both. Having done a great deal of computational simulation in the past, I am impressed with the correlation between computation and tufts on the car.

Do you think you will be doing something similar for the Turismo variants? Besides the major effects from the roofline, I am curious how much of a drag penalty one pays for the extra plastic bulges of the off-road design package.

Thanks much
Hi David,

ah, you did CFD simulations yourself, that's interesting!

We got the Taycan model from our partner A2MAC1, so getting the Turismo model would depend on them deciding to scan it.
Yes, the plastic parts can definitely impact the range and the increase in ride height can also have a strong (often negative) impact on the aerodynamic drag coefficient.
To be continued!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi David,

ah, you did CFD simulations yourself, that's interesting!

We got the Taycan model from our partner A2MAC1, so getting the Turismo model would depend on them deciding to scan it.
Yes, the plastic parts can definitely impact the range and the increase in ride height can also have a strong (often negative) impact on the aerodynamic drag coefficient.
To be continued!
Thanks for the reply. My primary interest is what I am giving up for the roofline. The plastic bits that are part of the offroad design package are more of a minor curiosity of what it costs to protect the paint a bit better, as well as how much little things add up. Both decisions are already made (late Oct delivery of a cross turismo) so this is more of a vote for you continuing your efforts than anything which changes my choices.

Just for complete accuracy, I did not do CFD, but computational neurophysiology and other things in solid-state physics, although the neuro-computation methods were very much like CFD inside rather than outside the shapes.

Thanks again for your great videos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the reply. My primary interest is what I am giving up for the roofline. The plastic bits that are part of the offroad design package are more of a minor curiosity of what it costs to protect the paint a bit better, as well as how much little things add up. Both decisions are already made (late Oct delivery of a cross turismo) so this is more of a vote for you continuing your efforts than anything which changes my choices.

Just for complete accuracy, I did not do CFD, but computational neurophysiology and other things in solid-state physics, although the neuro-computation methods were very much like CFD inside rather than outside the shapes.

Thanks again for your great videos.
Dear David,

ah, delivery already on the way - congratulations!
I'm trying my very best to grasp what computational neurophysiology would mean, and a quick search indicates it's related to how the brain works, how electrical currents flow, etc (hope that's right).
So indeed, some of the physics behind it must be similar (flow velocities determined by a form of resistance).

Thanks for the compliments on the videos, we'll keep it up!

Kind regards,

Wouter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts