Taycan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
In the Taycan's Brochure (On Page 51 under "Important Information") Porsche recommends that "the maximum charge status of the high-voltage battery should be set to approx. 80%" if you plan on charging the Taycan on a daily basis.

Their reasoning in the brochure seems to be "For physical and chemical reasons, the charging speed decreases as the battery approaches its full capacity. Therefore, it usually makes sense to use fast DC charging to charge the battery up to 80% or up to the required range."

I've seen this suggested for Teslas and other EVs, I assume this is the sweet spot for battery longevity?

Good to know. I don't charge my 4S every day as I live in a high rise apartment. Usually charge mine once a week and always go to 100%.

·
Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
I do charge to 100% but I don't let my car sit. I drive it every day so I don't think I'll have any issues.

·
Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
I stopped by my dealer today to pick up some parts that I ordered and while I was there I asked my sales associate about charging the battery to 100%. He said while the charging sweet spot is between 20-80% charging to 100% in the short term will not harm the battery as Porsche has set up the charging so that when you do charge to 100% in reality you are only charging the batteries to 83% of their capacity. He asked if I was going keep this car for more than 10 years to which I replied no. He said in that case don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
The fact of the matter is I normally don’t keep a car more than 2years so I don’t think it will matter one way or the other. For now I will continue to charge to 100% until I can determine my maximum range. Only then will I limit it to 80. Thanks for your concern.

·
Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
But you will be handing a more degraded battery to the next owner - Li Ion degrades the most and eats up life the most at the higher SOC - not linear as one may think. So an 80%-100% charge is more detrimental than a 20%-40% charge.
You'll be glad to know that I am now only charging to 80% unless I'm going on a long ride and need the extra range. I've determined what my maximum range is and no longer need to charge to 100%. For the short period of time I did charge to 100% I don't think I did anything to damage the battery.

Reactions: JacobF226

·
Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
Mine was charged to 100% when I took delivery.

·
Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
For the first couple of weeks I charged to 100% but now I only do that if I'm going on a long trip. Otherwise I charge to 85%.

·
Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
That is a perfectly good way to charge your battery PassGas. Hope you get to enjoy your vehicle as much as I do. And, feel liberated as you drive by gas stations where the rest of the world seems to be gassing up at almost $4-$5 a gallon. Hope you also got the three year free Electrify America card - makes your long distance trips that much more enjoyable!
Mook
Yes I am enjoying my 4S immensely and smile every time I pass a gas station.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.