Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been nearly 8 months since I acquired by Taycan Turbo. For the most part its been a great experienceIt, yes it has an annoying rattle and the auto regeneration turns off when I hit a bump in the road, but its only a 164k car so I should not complain! :)

There is one thing that drives me and my wife to the point of madness and thats the voice input for the navigation system. It's almost impossible to get the car to recognize addresses we speak. I would say 1 in 5 addresses it actual translates correctly, the rest are a roll of the dice on where it decides to take us... This morning we spent nearly 5 minutes trying to annunciate as clearly as possible a 4 word location for a really well known shopping mall about 15 miles away. The car never got the translation correct. Instead it insisted on saying, in a rather robotic voice ,"What can I do for you?.... What can I do for you?" which at one point I did tell it exactly what it could do (But its unrepeatable on this forum :) )

Anyway, theres a lot worse problems in the world BUT am I the only person to have this issue? Full discloser we are English, so our crazy accents may explain a lot!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Its been nearly 8 months since I acquired by Taycan Turbo. For the most part its been a great experienceIt, yes it has an annoying rattle and the auto regeneration turns off when I hit a bump in the road, but its only a 164k car so I should not complain! :)

There is one thing that drives me and my wife to the point of madness and thats the voice input for the navigation system. It's almost impossible to get the car to recognize addresses we speak. I would say 1 in 5 addresses it actual translates correctly, the rest are a roll of the dice on where it decides to take us... This morning we spent nearly 5 minutes trying to annunciate as clearly as possible a 4 word location for a really well known shopping mall about 15 miles away. The car never got the translation correct. Instead it insisted on saying, in a rather robotic voice ,"What can I do for you?.... What can I do for you?" which at one point I did tell it exactly what it could do (But its unrepeatable on this forum :) )

Anyway, theres a lot worse problems in the world BUT am I the only person to have this issue? Full discloser we are English, so our crazy accents may explain a lot!
The next time the map pops up in German, as mine does semi-regularly, try speaking German.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Sadly, you’re not alone. It drives me crazy too. Sometimes it recognizes the address, but most times it does not. I’ve thought about learning German. I wonder if that would help.😏😏

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2017 BMW was awful, 2021 e-tron can't find complex street names and sometime simple street names if the pronunciation is off a little. The Taycan seems a little better than the previous two cars. But Google or Apple maps are so much easier/better at locating an address. Trouble with car play is it doesn't send information to the HUD.

·
Registered
75 Posts

You may not be aware of it, but there's a famous David Letterman skit where he pulls up to a drive-thru window and orders (I'm not sure what, but let's say) a Whopper with cheese and a coke. The person inside the BK says, "Ok. A fish sandwich and a chocolate shake, that'll be $4.95." They go through this back and forth, with Dave ordering a Whopper and coke three or four times, and finally Dave drives away with his fish sandwich and chocolate shake. This is what I feel like almost every time I try to use the voice input.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Learn some basic German, then it'll work ;-)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may not be aware of it, but there's a famous David Letterman skit where he pulls up to a drive-thru window and orders (I'm not sure what, but let's say) a Whopper with cheese and a coke. The person inside the BK says, "Ok. A fish sandwich and a chocolate shake, that'll be $4.95." They go through this back and forth, with Dave ordering a Whopper and coke three or four times, and finally Dave drives away with his fish sandwich and chocolate shake. This is what I feel like almost every time I try to use the voice input.
Fabulous!, thats so funny and so similar to my Taycan experience :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not making this up . . .

I'm planning my first long distance trip (about 600 miles) tomorrow and I wanted to test the navigation system around town. I asked for "Harbor Freight", which I know has a store about 3 miles away that I've been to several times. The nav system interpreted my request as "Freedom Court Marina", 3,004 miles from my then current location. I continued on my way to the store and I stopped at a nearby EA charging station. I've used this location a few times before and was approximately 30 feet away from the line of chargers, moving very slowly, when I was told the chargers were on my left. Actually, they were on my right. After charging at EA (and learning that I have to wait at least an hour between 30 minute charging sessions for them to be free), I tried the nav again and the prompt came up "Ziel suchen". I tried "Harbor Freight" again and again got directions for "Freedom Court Marina". When I eventually got to the Harbor Freight parking lot and was moving in a straight line about 5 mph, I was told in continuous succession, to turn right five times (actually, five right turns = 1 right turn, which, ironically, was what I needed). If this wasn't enough, upon leaving the store I tried the nav one more time and asked for "Home Depot". The voice control came back "Lighting Depot", BUT(!) it did list a Home Depot on the screen. Only problem was that the one on the screen was 14 miles from my location and there is a Home Depot less than 3 miles from where I was.

Porsche needs to do something about this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not making this up . . .

I'm planning my first long distance trip (about 600 miles) tomorrow and I wanted to test the navigation system around town. I asked for "Harbor Freight", which I know has a store about 3 miles away that I've been to several times. The nav system interpreted my request as "Freedom Court Marina", 3,004 miles from my then current location. I continued on my way to the store and I stopped at a nearby EA charging station. I've used this location a few times before and was approximately 30 feet away from the line of chargers, moving very slowly, when I was told the chargers were on my left. Actually, they were on my right. After charging at EA (and learning that I have to wait at least an hour between 30 minute charging sessions for them to be free), I tried the nav again and the prompt came up "Ziel suchen". I tried "Harbor Freight" again and again got directions for "Freedom Court Marina". When I eventually got to the Harbor Freight parking lot and was moving in a straight line about 5 mph, I was told in continuous succession, to turn right five times (actually, five right turns = 1 right turn, which, ironically, was what I needed). If this wasn't enough, upon leaving the store I tried the nav one more time and asked for "Home Depot". The voice control came back "Lighting Depot", BUT(!) it did list a Home Depot on the screen. Only problem was that the one on the screen was 14 miles from my location and there is a Home Depot less than 3 miles from where I was.

Porsche needs to do something about this.
I don't know if I should laugh or cry listening to this but I certainly have a lot of empathy :)

·
Registered
11 Posts

You are correct. These are fantastic vehicles.. the actual dream of how a vehicle could be. Fast, silent, capable.. But Porsche still has not figured out the technology of convenience.. over promise.. under deliver.. for these reasons dealing with them is disheartening. Hard to understand how they can produce such consistently great cars, and fail on the items that every other car manufacturer seems to easily do. If they care, they seem incapable of fixing the problems, since I must believe that someone at HQ is monitoring these forums, which consistently provide real world customer feedback. (Just for the record, the Taycan 4S CT is my sixth Porsche.. so that kind of loyalty gives them the license to underdeliver.. I have repeatedly addressed various issues to my dealers and to Porsche NA)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are correct. These are fantastic vehicles.. the actual dream of how a vehicle could be. Fast, silent, capable.. But Porsche still has not figured out the technology of convenience.. over promise.. under deliver.. for these reasons dealing with them is disheartening. Hard to understand how they can produce such consistently great cars, and fail on the items that every other car manufacturer seems to easily do. If they care, they seem incapable of fixing the problems, since I must believe that someone at HQ is monitoring these forums, which consistently provide real world customer feedback. (Just for the record, the Taycan 4S CT is my sixth Porsche.. so that kind of loyalty gives them the license to underdeliver.. I have repeatedly addressed various issues to my dealers and to Porsche NA)
Man I feel your pain! Its a real shame that these issues (Particularly software) cannot be solved quickly and over the air. This is one area (Of several) where Tesla really leads the way.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Two points:
First, I hear a rattle in my 2021 Taycan that I've decided is road/tire noise. No one else including my Porsche salesman & my wife hears it. It's not loud, just an occasional low-pitched rumble that seems to be muffled or goes away when the road is wet.
Second, my navigation system works great both with voice entry of place names and with addresses. Since my new car was prepped at the end of October, I'm guessing that the latest software works better than what you've experienced. I'm surprised that the Nav software on all existing Taycans may not have been brought up-to-date. I did have one destination that was on the left side of the street instead of the right (per the Nav system) and Ziel Suchen does appear on the screen, but those are the only glitches I've experienced (so far!).

·
Registered
2012 Cayenne S | 2020 Taycan Turbo
46 Posts

May I suggest a non-Porsche work around for this voice recognition problem? I suggest you use your Taycan's Apple CarPlay capability and your iPhone to handle route guidance / navigation. I use Apple CarPlay and its Navigation App exclusively (I don't use the Taycan's Navigation system at all) and it recognizes my voiced words perfectly every time. Besides knowing my voice and my spoken words, I enjoy Siri's voice much better than the voice that comes with the Taycan's Navigation system. The Porsche's voice actually sounds unpleasant to me - - I much prefer Apple's Siri.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I discussed my recent experience with the nav system, above. I wonder if someone can do me a favor . . . ask the nav system for "Harbor Freight" and let me know how the system interprets your request.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finally convinced my service men that when in CarPlay and a phone call..the music comes through and can’t hear my call. Doesn’t happen when CarPlay is not connected . Does anyone else have this issue.

·
Registered
2012 Cayenne S | 2020 Taycan Turbo
46 Posts
I finally convinced my service men that when in CarPlay and a phone call..the music comes through and can’t hear my call. Doesn’t happen when CarPlay is not connected . Does anyone else have this issue.
I use CarPlay all the time and I’ve never had a case where music plays while a phone call is connected.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts