Taycan Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
What if I purchase a new, different charger (not Porsche) to charge the car? Could we charge faster that way and bypass this charging mess the software "update" has created? Does anyone have experience with using a charger other than Porsche or Tesla to charge at home? It now takes 12 hours to charge my 2022 Taycan 4S to 80%! This is crazy and has seriously cut my range!

· Registered
2021 taycan 4s
225 Posts
What if I purchase a new, different charger (not Porsche) to charge the car? Could we charge faster that way and bypass this charging mess the software "update" has created? Does anyone have experience with using a charger other than Porsche or Tesla to charge at home? It now takes 12 hours to charge my 2022 Taycan 4S to 80%! This is crazy and has seriously cut my range!
there are many chargers out there that would be faster than the current nerfed PMCC. there are threads regarding this on some other taycan/porsche forums

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Does using a different charger at home void the warranty?
Good question...I don't know...ask Porsche.
Porsche's recent downgrade of the charging rate might only be due to overheating of the charger + cable, but.....
It may not only heat the charging cable and unit (it melts snow for me) but also have unreported adverse effects on the vehicle charging unit....just guessing.
I don't have a factual reason to caution limiting to 40 amps, but given the cost of the cars, and not least repairs, I would be loath to get out in front of Porsche's recommendations. As you probably know, if you have been "nerfed", you can still change the charging rate back to 40 amps manually on the charger interface, returning to the original protocol. I find 40 amps/220v adequate for my needs.
I will be interested to hear if others have more factual, specific recommendations.

Does using a different charger at home void the warranty?
[/QUOTE

· Registered
4 Posts
I was nerfed in early October. Nobody said a word about slower charging times before or after or when I discovered it and brought it back last Friday because I thought something was wrong. Super po'd to say the least. So, I can manually change it back for a charge when needed on the charger itself? Could you help me out with a few details? If I need a faster charge, that's helpful. Normally, I let it run down to 12-15% before I charge back up to 80%. This took TWELVE HOURS last week! WTH?? Before I was nerfed, it took eight.

· Registered
18 Posts
P.S.- I need to read the fine print, but I don't see how they could void a warranty considering you can charge the machine on any public level 3. Just a thought.
Level 2 is AC and so called Level 3 is DC. Completely different systems inside the car. 40 AMP is the maximum continuous duty for a 50 AMP breaker, per electrical code. On your Porsche mobile charger, touch the settings icon on the screen. Then you can bump the defaulted charge rate up or down, anywhere from 6 AMPS to the original 40 AMPS. In my case, something (I suspect the cable near the J1772 plug) gets hot enough to shut down the process before reaching 85%. 35 AMPS seems to work. Sandy Munro posted a thoughtful Youtube on house wiring problems with Level 2 chargers. One of his examples was with a Taycan plug socket, which may explain some of the Porsche response. That plug socket is not a Porsche item. It is a homeowner supplied part or the house wiring, but still could lead to serious issues.

· Registered
97 Posts
I think the same nonsense happened with the EA 350KW unit. The rate was cut in half per minute only 55KW/min instead of 120KW/min in the past before the software update. I had to stay at EA for an hour to pump it up

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts