Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plugged in my 2020 4S last night only to find that the charging rate had been halved to .2 miles/minute....ugg!
I am thinking that the mothership in Stuttgart downloaded new software to my charger, in order to respond to the cable heating problem noted in their software update. I thought that would happen when the charging unit was upgraded at the dealer...it seems that Porsche is now doing the change over the internet.
Do others find their home charging rate has halved?

· Registered
18 Posts
I plugged in my 2020 4S last night only to find that the charging rate had been halved to .2 miles/minute....ugg!
I am thinking that the mothership in Stuttgart downloaded new software to my charger, in order to respond to the cable heating problem noted in their software update. I thought that would happen when the charging unit was upgraded at the dealer...it seems that Porsche is now doing the change over the internet.
Yes, I happened to walk out to my garage during the download and saw a notification on the wall charger. Called the dealer and they did not know anything, but verified with Porsche and filled me in. You can bump the charge rate back up, but it will reset after each use. At least now, it completes the charge to 85% without heating the cable.

If you click on my posts, I shared more detail and history on another thread.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I happened to walk out to my garage during the download and saw a notification on the wall charger. Called the dealer and they did not know anything, but verified with Porsche and filled me in. You can bump the charge rate back up, but it will reset after each use. At least now, it completes the charge to 85% without heating the cable.

Thanks....I hadn't checked the charger for info. regarding the charging rate.

· Registered
2021 taycan 4s
225 Posts

it does indeed complete the charge but it takes twice as long.
how would you like it if they nerfed the car and instead of 0-60 in less than four seconds it could only do it in 7+ seconds?

· Registered
3 Posts

Just got my Taycan back from dealer and it’s .01. Going back today to see if this the new norm. Gads.

· Registered
3 Posts
Got my Taycan back today and new programing has it at 0.1. Taking back to dealer. This simply can not be the new norm.

· Registered
18 Posts
I just got my 2020 4S back from the dealer and the upgraded charger will let me increase the charging rate to .4 miles/minute, so it is the same as before.
In my case, you can change the setting back to 40 amps, which gives you 0.4 miles/minute, but it will reset to 20 amps as soon as you unplug. So you would need to reset it every time you charge. Worse yet, when I did that, it shut off after a couple hours at the 40 amp rate, which was my original issue. If I need a decent charge, and plan to leave it on at night, I leave the power at 20 amps because I don't care if it completes at 2 AM or 5AM. I suspect the issue is with the cable in near the J1772 plug, but I need to leave it on a different Level 2 charger to be sure.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In my case, you can change the setting back to 40 amps, which gives you 0.4 miles/minute, but it will reset to 20 amps as soon as you unplug. So you would need to reset it every time you charge. Worse yet, when I did that, it shut off after a couple hours at the 40 amp rate, which was my original issue. If I need a decent charge, and plan to leave it on at night, I leave the power at 20 amps because I don't care if it completes at 2 AM or 5AM. I suspect the issue is with the cable in near the J1772 plug, but I need to leave it on a different Level 2 charger to be sure.
I agree that if you are charging over night, it makes sense to leave it at 20 amps.
At 40 amps, my cable has been cool since the update....previously the entire cable would be hot enough to melt ice and snow, leaving a groove in the snow between the garage door and the car.
For me, it has been no big deal, and the car has been essentially trouble free since I took delivery 9/2020....very satisfied...so much so that, when the lease is up, I will seriously consider buying it.

· Registered
975 Posts
Looks like Porsche did make an update for the mobile charger that changed the charging speed. Porsche says it's because of high temperatures that could damage the electrical socket.

Font Material property Parallel Paper Rectangle

· Registered
26 Posts
I thought I was avoiding the update limiting the charging speed by not taking the charger into the dealer for the update, but when I plugged in yesterday the speed had been cut down to 0.2. Does anybody know how to reset it back to the faster speed?

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought I was avoiding the update limiting the charging speed by not taking the charger into the dealer for the update, but when I plugged in yesterday the speed had been cut down to 0.2. Does anybody know how to reset it back to the faster speed?
same happened to me...the mothership in Stuttgart did it over the internet.

· Registered
2 Posts
to add one more voice, same problem for my 2022 4S. Just need to reset when charging starts at 20amp to 40. there has been a problem with heat because when my garage is 100 degrees (like most of the summer here in Dallas) the charger overheats with an error message and shuts down.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts