Taycan Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
Sounds reasonable but I don't think there is any way to know for sure. How well do you know this salesman and how much do you trust his word?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dont know him well and it will be my first Porsche so i dont have an established relarionship. Just wanted to hear if other customers are experiencing delays in receiving their orders.

·
Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
Sorry I can't help more as I purchased mine from existing inventory.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Dont know him well and it will be my first Porsche so i dont have an established relarionship. Just wanted to hear if other customers are experiencing delays in receiving their orders.
When I ordered my Cross Turismo on 21 May of this year, I was told to expect delivery on 31 Oct. When I got access to the TackYourDream web site (which is only for 911 and Taycan) the estimated date of delivery to the dealer was 29 Oct. Before my “freeze” date I added the off-road design package and the estimated date for arrival at the dealer moved to 3 Nov, but a few days later it was back at 29 Oct, where it has remained. Estimated start of Production date has been 27 Aug (yeah! today!), but now they say it began on 23 Aug, with no change in the estimated completion on 3 Sept. One of the biggest “who really knows” problems is how long it will sit at the dock before being loaded on a ship. For me the estimate is 3 weeks!

If you REALLY REALLY MUST take delivery this year I’d suggest that you try to find one already in stock at a dealer, but of course that means passing up the custom build.

·
Registered
310 Posts
When I ordered my Cross Turismo on 21 May of this year, I was told to expect delivery on 31 Oct. When I got access to the TackYourDream web site (which is only for 911 and Taycan) the estimated date of delivery to the dealer was 29 Oct. Before my “freeze” date I added the off-road design package and the estimated date for arrival at the dealer moved to 3 Nov, but a few days later it was back at 29 Oct, where it has remained. Estimated start of Production date has been 27 Aug (yeah! today!), but now they say it began on 23 Aug, with no change in the estimated completion on 3 Sept. One of the biggest “who really knows” problems is how long it will sit at the dock before being loaded on a ship. For me the estimate is 3 weeks!

If you REALLY REALLY MUST take delivery this year I’d suggest that you try to find one already in stock at a dealer, but of course that means passing up the custom build.
When I woke this morning another possible solution occurred to me. Disclaimer first: I was briefly an accountant 45 years ago and gave it up. This advice is worth everything you should expect for something from a stranger over the internet! Check with your tax professional to see if I am anywhere close to correct!

Most people do cash-based accounting: this means the transaction occurs for tax purposes when the money changes hands. So if the rules for automobiles are not different, if you pay for the car this year then the purchase, for tax purposes, happens at that time.

Back to what the salesman said, if the allotment is for December, that probably means a December build, and then there is no way the car will arrive by ship in the US this year. My car was called an August allotment, and as above, I will get it in late October. If you chose the European delivery option you could possibly get it this year.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I woke this morning another possible solution occurred to me. Disclaimer first: I was briefly an accountant 45 years ago and gave it up. This advice is worth everything you should expect for something from a stranger over the internet! Check with your tax professional to see if I am anywhere close to correct!

Most people do cash-based accounting: this means the transaction occurs for tax purposes when the money changes hands. So if the rules for automobiles are not different, if you pay for the car this year then the purchase, for tax purposes, happens at that time.

Back to what the salesman said, if the allotment is for December, that probably means a December build, and then there is no way the car will arrive by ship in the US this year. My car was called an August allotment, and as above, I will get it in late October. If you chose the European delivery option you could possibly get it this year.

Good luck!
I was under the impression that the purchase date would be the day it is received by the buyer. Am i mistaken?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was under the impression that the purchase date would be the day it is received by the buyer. Am i mistaken?
Normally a car is paid for as it is delivered, so in that case yes. If you are financing I doubt that any bank will pay the dealer without a VIN and a delivery. If you are going to lease it is most likely the same as bank financing. But if you pay fully up front, then what I said might apply. It does conform to some generally accepted accounting practices.

As I said, check with your tax professional to verify.

·
Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
In my case the dealer netted the $7,500 tax credit off the price of my 4S. Worked for me.

Reactions: Taycanrwd

·
Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
If it's that important to have the tax credit this year I would try to locate a car in dealer inventory rather than ordering one with no guarantee that it will arrive this year. When I bought my 4S back in June I asked my dealer if I could order one in a different color and was told the likelihood of getting one this year was slim to none.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts