Taycan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
Great to be among Porsche enthusiasts and I've a lot learn.

Finally decided to take the plunge and buy a Taycan 4S. I am very excited since this is my first Porsche. Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, I went to the dealership and priced the car with my options, committed with a deposit and soon enough I received an email from Porsche giving me a link to "Track Your Dream". It's been two weeks and it's stuck in the very first step, waiting for a delivery date. I understand that there is a chip shortage, but is this to be expected, where Porsche cannot forecast a delivery date?

Best regards.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hello.

Finally decided to take the plunge and buy a Taycan 4S. I am very excited since this is my first Porsche. Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, I went to the dealership and priced the car with my options, committed with a deposit and soon enough I received an email from Porsche giving me a link to "Track Your Dream". It's been two weeks and it's stuck in the very first step, waiting for a delivery date. I understand that there is a chip shortage, but is this to be expected, where Porsche cannot forecast a delivery date?

Best regards.
Congrats on ordering your 4S @kruiser and welcome to the forum! I wouldn't be too worried, sometimes this can happen. Have you checked in with your dealer to see if they can provide some insight?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello.

Best regards.
I was given an estimated delivery date by my dealer when I placed my order. The estimates I was given before ordering were 1 to 2 months sooner. The dealer explained that the problem is the “just-in-time” inventory system, which so many companies have switched to. With very small to no inventory on hand, the best Porsche can do is to guess when the suppliers of the specific options in your configuration might be delivered. I read an article in the newspaper about this problem. The pandemic caused a huge domino effect in the supply chain of many industries when everybody was guessing the rate at which their buyers would cut back and the number of their workers who would not be available, and then the backlog in shipping and unloading at ports just made it worse. It would not have been as bad if everybody still kept an inventory of the parts they need and the products they sell, which used to serve as a buffer to smooth these things out. Oh well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been keeping an eye on the "Track Your Dream" function on the website for the Taycan Gran Turismo I ordered on April 19 2021. The tracker was counting down from 70 days until it hit 50 days, then reset to 64 days. That was 14 days ago and yesterday the tracker was reading 51 days. Twenty minutes ago I checked the website and instead of changing to 50 days, it's back to 64 days. This is a total of 28 days being added on the fly as if they don't really have any @#$%&^& idea what's going on. I'm considering demanding my $5K deposit back from the dealer and walking away. This is on top of the 4S I ordered and received one week ago. Even when you're throwing your money at them they can't get their $%^& together. If I ran my company this way...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello.

Best regards.
My dealer has said they are waiting for their allocation, which i assume means when my order slots into the queue. I ordered by Cross Turismo 4S on April 19th and no word at all. I have never gotten a link to Track my Dream so I will have to find out more about that. I fear the dealer is playing games with me, can't believe they don't have more information on lead times.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Without an “allocation” they don’t have a car to sell you. I got what I was told by my dealer was their last allocated Turismo on 21 May, and I now have a 150 day expected wait according to Track My Dream. Wait times depend upon the specific things in your configuration. My dealer had an allocation for a Turismo 4 and that was what I wanted, so it lined up for me. From what I heard, I understand that if I had asked for anything other than the 4 I would have been putting a deposit on a space in the queue, which is what the contract actually states. I got a call a few days later from the dealership that was intended to tell me that this was only holding a slot and not a car, but when I told the person that I was given a date (31 Oct) by the salesman and that I had an email from Track My Dream, they apologized and said that Yes, this really does mean that I have a deposit on a car which will be built for me, and not just a slot in a line waiting to order a car. About the only thing about this strange process that makes this all OK with me is that they are not asking for a premium above MSRP, which often happens for cars in high demand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for all your responses. I feel like I'm on the couch with all of of you helping me cope! :) My dealer only says there is nothing wrong with the Porsche website and I should expect to hear back from Porsche "soon". I contacted another dealer and they gave me a similar explanation as @David G Doshay and @Mountain carver mention above. It's the all important "allocation" that determines the dealer's ability (and Porsche too) to provide one with an actual delivery date. Since I am usually a patient man, I'll let this take its course for the next month and if after a month, I still do not hear back, I'll drive myself into a frenzied state.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been keeping an eye on the "Track Your Dream" function on the website for the Taycan Gran Turismo I ordered on April 19 2021. The tracker was counting down from 70 days until it hit 50 days, then reset to 64 days. That was 14 days ago and yesterday the tracker was reading 51 days. Twenty minutes ago I checked the website and instead of changing to 50 days, it's back to 64 days. This is a total of 28 days being added on the fly as if they don't really have any @#$%&^& idea what's going on. I'm considering demanding my $5K deposit back from the dealer and walking away. This is on top of the 4S I ordered and received one week ago. Even when you're throwing your money at them they can't get their $%^& together. If I ran my company this way...
Same thing, with almost the same exact numbers, is happening to me with regards to the RWD I ordered on 2 May 2021

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dealer has said they are waiting for their allocation, which i assume means when my order slots into the queue. I ordered by Cross Turismo 4S on April 19th and no word at all. I have never gotten a link to Track my Dream so I will have to find out more about that. I fear the dealer is playing games with me, can't believe they don't have more information on lead times.
I finally got the order confirmation and the link to track my dream. Looks like November 19th! That's 7 months from order to delivery! Holy crap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts