Taycan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow Taycan Fans,

I am at a cross-roads with a decision regarding whether to install an aftermarket Sports Chrono Clock I purchased from Alibaba or go through the hassle of returning it. The part includes a harness that they claim is "plug-and-play" - however, upon removing the standard dash vent (where the Chrono Clock goes), there is no visible harness to plug it into (in fact what is beneath the grill is not even removable, except for the little speaker that's part of it - and there is nothing under the speaker either). Turns out the harness is supposed to be connected to the "radio head unit" which in a traditional car I would know exactly what that is. Alibaba sent me a video of how to install it on a Cayenne - to which I replied the Taycan is NOTHING like a Cayenne's access the "radio" head unit.

With all that said, I am a brave person (I installed an aftermarket Car Play adapter for my previously owned 3 series BWM that didn't come with Car Play); however, before I venture into trying to discover if the harness they provided will work, I am in search of videos of anybody who may have taken apart the dash of a Taycan to access the "radio head unit" - which I will presume for the moment is the middle upper screen above the center console. At first glance, I do not have any sense of where I would even start to gain access to the head unit.

The only video I found on YouTube was a video of a sound shop that installed a dash cam, but they didn't take apart anything (but it's good to know that the fuse box is on the passenger side kick panel on a 2020 4S).

I know some of you will think I'm crazy, but I appreciate any feedback and help.

PS - Yes, I should have pulled the dash grille first to see if the harness was there before purchasing - my bad! Lesson learned - so I already have the part in hand...

Cheers. (photos for reference attached).
Automotive lighting Musical instrument accessory Bumper Automotive design Camera accessory
Grille Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Car

·
Registered
2012 Cayenne S | 2020 Taycan Turbo
84 Posts
IMHO I don‘t think trying to install that clock is a good idea. Lots of downside risk that you mess something up. And with all that downside risk, you still aren’t going to have the real benefits of the Sports Chrono Package which are: 1. The drive mode selector knob near the center of the steering wheel (this let’s you instantly switch drive modes without having to perform any taps on the PCM screen) and 2. The added Sports+ Mode which provides a bit more performance. If I were you I would return that clock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMHO I don‘t think trying to install that clock is a good idea. Lots of downside risk that you mess something up. And with all that downside risk, you still aren’t going to have the real benefits of the Sports Chrono Package which are: 1. The drive mode selector knob near the center of the steering wheel (this let’s you instantly switch drive modes without having to perform any taps on the PCM screen) and 2. The added Sports+ Mode which provides a bit more performance. If I were you I would return that clock.
It's mostly the look I'm going for, I realize the Sports Chrono option will not give me the other things you mentioned. I will not proceed with installing it, but will hold on to the part and wait until there is data (videos) of how the head unit is accessed and see if what happens. Until then, I'm staying put.

·
Registered
2012 Cayenne S | 2020 Taycan Turbo
84 Posts
It's mostly the look I'm going for, I realize the Sports Chrono option will not give me the other things you mentioned. I will not proceed with installing it, but will hold on to the part and wait until there is data (videos) of how the head unit is accessed and see if what happens. Until then, I'm staying put.
The installation of that click will definitely improve the interior look of your Taycan. Best of luck if you do try to install it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts