Taycan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read and read, talked with the dealer and several others and yet I’ve still not received a definitive answer. I understand overboost can be used in launch mode. However, is that the only time you can utilize the Taycan’s full potential? If you aggressively slam the throttle to pass do you get the ~2.5 seconds (or whatever it is) full power? From an engineering perspective if it’s extra heat into the system (thus the time cap) seems it should be available at other times rather than just launch mode. Curious on this as the main difference between Turbo and Turbo S is the larger front inverter giving more power temporarily. However, if you only get the big power when launching and otherwise same power as Turbo (yes slightly more torque) is it worth the upgrade to the S? Perhaps Porsche will do an OTA update allowing short bursts of overboost during normal driving and not just launch mode?

· Registered
976 Posts
Welcome to the forum @DrFatz! Overboost only kicks in when you're using launch control. It doesn't matter how hard you press on the throttle.

So The Turbo has 616 horsepower with up to 671 hp worth of overboost power and the Turbo S has 616 hp with up to 750 hp of overboost power. In terms of which to upgrade I guess it's dependent on which features you want/don't want and how much you plan on launching the car.

As for the OTA. I don't think Porsche will do something like that. I don't think they want anyone accidentally pressing the throttle and giving it full power, unlike when you deliberately set it in launch control.

· Registered
13 Posts
I must say I am also surprised the overboost is in launch mode only. I currently have a Tesla Model S with Ludicrous and used its launch mode exactly once. Doing launches from stand still I rarely floor the car because it requires everything inside to be cleared out or secured, or I'll be picking up pieces from the back seat after the launch, HOWEVER, I do floor it when passing, or entering highways - is it there the power that the power is most useful to me. Tesla also limits performance based on real time battery condition, probably more so than Porsche but there is no tie to launch mode, and if you mash the accelerator you get as much power as the battery will allow at the time, so basically like overboost on demand. Launch power is useful only for drag racing, and if that is your primary reason for buying a powerful EV, then get the latest Tesla Model S Plaid for drag racing and a base Taycan for everyday driving (you can probably buy both for the same price as just a Taycan Turbo S ;)).

All that said, I'm new to Porsche EVs, still deciding whether I want a Taycan, eTron GT, or the EQS. Has anyone hacked the Taycan yet, perhaps implemented overboost on demand (i.e. enable 2.5s of overboost when the pedal hits the metal for example)?

· Registered
13 Posts
Not exactly. What you need is relative to the buyer. You could argue than nobody needs anything but the base Taycan, or that nobody needs a Porsche at all - there are plenty of cheaper EV options with same or higher range available out there. Is there a difference between driving a 480hp car and a 620hp car, of course there is - it just happens that my both my wife and I drive Model S, but hers has ~150hp less, and I absolutely notice it when driving her car. Looking at Taycan CT as my next car, but having a hard time convincing myself to buy a 4S which is heavier with less hp than my current car. Turbo would probably about match the Model S (mine, not the latest Plaid with 1080hp), but Porsche wants so much more money for the Turbo, not sure I'm willing to go there. A 4S with on-demand overboost (2.5s every however many minutes launch mode is supported) would probably be a good Model S replacement. Of course if I didn't care about hatchback/estate, an RS eTron GT is cheaper but similar performance to the Taycan Turbo - same drive train and battery too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.