Taycan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum,

I decided that it is time to turn in my 2004 996 C4S for an electric car. The 911 had been a dream since I was a teen, and I have loved it. Nothing about the 911 bothers me at all, and I’d say it is the most perfect thing I have ever bought. The only thing that could possibly be better would be an electric Porsche with an extended roofline (I was a huge fan of the Volvo P1800ES). Well, that is just what the Taycan Cross Turismo is!

I have ordered a Cross Turismo and the dealer told me after the process that I got their last allotment, although no comment on last allotment until ... when?

I drove the dealer’s demo Turbo-S sedan a few months ago when dropping the 911 off for service and knew that I was waiting for the Turismo. They have called me a few times to check in and give me updates on Turismo availability.

Earlier this month I was told in a phone call that one ordered in this allotment would be delivered in August. A week later in another phone call they said delivery would be in September. I was going to wait, perhaps as much as a year, for early production bugs to be worked out, but my wife encouraged me to just do it now. After a few passes with the online configuration app I had it down to just a few last questions/decisions: 14 or 18 way seats and lane-keep assistance, which I did not want but my wife did. I was not able to test either in a Taycan, but tried the seats in a 911 and the lane-keep in a Macan. The lane-keep resistance to my steering input was much lighter than I feared, and because my wife wanted it, I got that in the Inno package. After my complete configuration was input by the sales guy and the order placed, the expected delivery is ...

October 31!

So now I wait and I read this forum.

From reading this forum I feel good about having ordered the rear-wheel steering, and also about forgoing the ‘pick it up at the Porsche Experience Center in LA’ option, about a 6 hour drive from where I live. I would have loved the track experience, but I’m reading from too many folks who have had problems in the first few hundred miles causing the car to just stop working. From what I have been reading, it is a communication problem between the front and rear motors. I accept that on such a new car I will be a Beta-tester, but I don’t need that on the way home!

Cheers,
David

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hello Forum,

I decided that it is time to turn in my 2004 996 C4S for an electric car. The 911 had been a dream since I was a teen, and I have loved it. Nothing about the 911 bothers me at all, and I’d say it is the most perfect thing I have ever bought. The only thing that could possibly be better would be an electric Porsche with an extended roofline (I was a huge fan of the Volvo P1800ES). Well, that is just what the Taycan Cross Turismo is!

I have ordered a Cross Turismo and the dealer told me after the process that I got their last allotment, although no comment on last allotment until ... when?

I drove the dealer’s demo Turbo-S sedan a few months ago when dropping the 911 off for service and knew that I was waiting for the Turismo. They have called me a few times to check in and give me updates on Turismo availability.

Earlier this month I was told in a phone call that one ordered in this allotment would be delivered in August. A week later in another phone call they said delivery would be in September. I was going to wait, perhaps as much as a year, for early production bugs to be worked out, but my wife encouraged me to just do it now. After a few passes with the online configuration app I had it down to just a few last questions/decisions: 14 or 18 way seats and lane-keep assistance, which I did not want but my wife did. I was not able to test either in a Taycan, but tried the seats in a 911 and the lane-keep in a Macan. The lane-keep resistance to my steering input was much lighter than I feared, and because my wife wanted it, I got that in the Inno package. After my complete configuration was input by the sales guy and the order placed, the expected delivery is ...

October 31!

So now I wait and I read this forum.

From reading this forum I feel good about having ordered the rear-wheel steering, and also about forgoing the ‘pick it up at the Porsche Experience Center in LA’ option, about a 6 hour drive from where I live. I would have loved the track experience, but I’m reading from too many folks who have had problems in the first few hundred miles causing the car to just stop working. From what I have been reading, it is a communication problem between the front and rear motors. I accept that on such a new car I will be a Beta-tester, but I don’t need that on the way home!

Cheers,
David
Welcome to the forum David and congratulations on your order. Are you getting a Turbo S like the demo you drove?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, hello.
No, I am getting the 4, the lowest level of the CT. There are 2 reasons: most important to me is that 0 - 60 in anything less than 6 seconds is plenty quick enough for me (and maybe I’ll get more range), but most important to the dealer is that their allocation was also for this model. I was considering the 4S, but I am fine without the extra oomph.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, hello.
No, I am getting the 4, the lowest level of the CT. There are 2 reasons: most important to me is that 0 - 60 in anything less than 6 seconds is plenty quick enough for me (and maybe I’ll get more range), but most important to the dealer is that their allocation was also for this model. I was considering the 4S, but I am fine without the extra oomph.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And now after reading this forum for a few days I am wondering if I really should have followed my normal opinion about waiting 2 years after a new model is introduced! Ah well, it will be an adventure and I knew that I would be helping along the transition to EVs. Now the question is if this is leading edge or bleeding edge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We are all wondering whether to wait out the “bug ironing” with Taycan. Porsche is great. (I have owned 5 in the last 9 years.) But Porsche is not perfect. And they are not as accommodating to their client base as other manufacturers. I have some of my own difficulties/disagreements with them, as many others have had. Now I have on order in a Taycan 4S Cross turismo. I may trade my ‘19 911 4S (depends on the wife.) No idea when it will show up. But I’m ok with that because when it does, my 911 will likely be gone. So, not in a total rush. Because of the electric thing, I am committed to moving forward, because if I don’t, who will? So I am making the leap. With my eyes wide open.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are all wondering whether to wait out the “bug ironing” with Taycan. Porsche is great. (I have owned 5 in the last 9 years.) But Porsche is not perfect. And they are not as accommodating to their client base as other manufacturers. I have some of my own difficulties/disagreements with them, as many others have had. Now I have on order in a Taycan 4S Cross turismo. I may trade my ‘19 911 4S (depends on the wife.) No idea when it will show up. But I’m ok with that because when it does, my 911 will likely be gone. So, not in a total rush. Because of the electric thing, I am committed to moving forward, because if I don’t, who will? So I am making the leap. With my eyes wide open.
This will be my 2nd Porsche, the first is a 2004 996 C4S that I still own (110,000 miles) and still love. I plan to trade it in when the Turismo arrives. On a weekend drive with my daughter when it had about 20k miles it started making a horrible noise, kind of like the loudest pachinko machine you could imagine. I pulled off the hwy at the next exit and had it towed to the nearest dealer. Phone call with dealer on Monday to discuss why it came in over the weekend. Another on Tuesday telling me that they had to order a new engine and send my engine back to Germany to have it torn down and inspected. I had my car back on Friday. My reaction at the time was “you just sold me my next Porsche” And now it is that time, although only because the only thing better than my excellent sports car is an electric one with room for sports equipment.

It turns out that a bolt head had broken off the end of a camshaft, that became a “known problem” with that engine, and all later models got a beefed up bolt.

The only problem I have ever had with Porsche is snooty salesmen, Fortunately, there are always other dealerships willing to treat me better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The “followyourdream“ site had been estimating 29 Oct, not really different than the 31 Oct that came up upon putting in my order. There is still 34 days until my freeze date, and I decided to add the Off Road Design Package, mostly to get the extra plastic guards to protect the paint around the wheel wells, but also a bit because I do have a long dirt road at my vacation house. Now the estimated delivery date is 5 November.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love the looks of the new Turismo.
I still have only seen photos and videos, but I did once see a few Panmera Turismos and instantly loved them, except that I think they are too big. The Taycan is not much smaller, but at least it is a bit smaller.

The ‘followyourdream‘ site now has me back to 29 Oct.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts