Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, while charging with battery warm after returning from a trip, the Taycan 4s started making a wiring/clicking noise radiating from the vicinity of the right radiator. Turning on and off the vehicle stopped the noise. Upon resuming charging, the noise came back. This morning, with the battery at ambient temperature(68 degrees) the noise did not occur, and it charged to 85%/260 miles without a problem. I will see if it happens this evening after a day on the road.
Has anyone experience a similar problem? Otherwise the car seems fine, with no faults/warnings on the PCM/displays.

· Registered
83 Posts
klh . . . Sorry to post something that is not on your subject, but how do you initiate a "Discussion Starter"? Also . . . my car is due in two weeks and I'm having some trouble finding an electrician to hook-up my home charger. Did you dealer recommend someone? If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost? I've gotten two estimates; one for $850 and one for $1,600 and I can't get an explanation for such a wide discrepancy.

· Registered
2021 taycan 4s
230 Posts
klh . . . Sorry to post something that is not on your subject, but how do you initiate a "Discussion Starter"? Also . . . my car is due in two weeks and I'm having some trouble finding an electrician to hook-up my home charger. Did you dealer recommend someone? If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost? I've gotten two estimates; one for $850 and one for $1,600 and I can't get an explanation for such a wide discrepancy.
any licensed electrician can do the job, without knowing the particulars it is hard to guess what the cost is, obviously the $1600 guy is out of line.
do you have 200 amp service coming into the house? is there room for a 50 amp breaker? how long from the box will the run to the outlet be? all these variables will impact what it will cost.

· Registered
49 Posts
Last night, while charging with battery warm after returning from a trip, the Taycan 4s started making a wiring/clicking noise radiating from the vicinity of the right radiator. Turning on and off the vehicle stopped the noise. Upon resuming charging, the noise came back. This morning, with the battery at ambient temperature(68 degrees) the noise did not occur, and it charged to 85%/260 miles without a problem. I will see if it happens this evening after a day on the road.
Has anyone experience a similar problem? Otherwise the car seems fine, with no faults/warnings on the PCM/displays.
Mine makes some noise also while charging and it’s never concerned me in the 3 plus months I’ve had my 4S. Maybe you could post a video with good audio of the noise for us to compare with ours.

· Registered
39 Posts
First, any licensed electrician can do this. The difference in prices probably reflects how much money they want to make. I paid $150 for the installation and bought all the parts which totaled about $100. The electrician was there for about 45 minutes. My parts included a 50amp breaker, electric receptacle, box, cover, and about 3 feet of wire. The electrician installed the breaker in my existing panel since it had space, cut a hole in my garage sheet rock wall below the panel, installed the box, wired and installed the receptacle and cover plate. My installation was easy and simple, but yours will be different and probably not this easy. There are many variables such as needing another panel instead of using your existing panel, the necessity of conduit, the distance between your existing panel and the placement of the receptacle, etc. All you want is to be able to plug in your supplied Porsche Taycan charger to your new receptacle. Assuming both prices do this, go for least expensive. There are many online videos showing how this is done. My best

· Registered
83 Posts
First, any licensed electrician can do this. The difference in prices probably reflects how much money they want to make. I paid $150 for the installation and bought all the parts which totaled about $100. The electrician was there for about 45 minutes. My parts included a 50amp breaker, electric receptacle, box, cover, and about 3 feet of wire. The electrician installed the breaker in my existing panel since it had space, cut a hole in my garage sheet rock wall below the panel, installed the box, wired and installed the receptacle and cover plate. My installation was easy and simple, but yours will be different and probably not this easy. There are many variables such as needing another panel instead of using your existing panel, the necessity of conduit, the distance between your existing panel and the placement of the receptacle, etc. All you want is to be able to plug in your supplied Porsche Taycan charger to your new receptacle. Assuming both prices do this, go for least expensive. There are many online videos showing how this is done. My best
Thanks for the reply. I too have room in my panel and don't see any impediments/complications in my garage. My salesman told me today that the going rate around here was about $800. Guess I need to get some more estimates!

· Registered
19 Posts
I get a noise while charging and once it stops the noise stops. This also happens on my other hybrid. I had called when I had my etron and they said that noise was normal....I get the noise on 3 different Electric Cars...

· Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I too have room in my panel and don't see any impediments/complications in my garage. My salesman told me today that the going rate around here was about $800. Guess I need to get some more estimates!
Sounds expensive. The hard part is where is your electrical box? Do you have a room for a 220V Breaker. But the longest pole in the tent in installing the outlet.

· Registered
310 Posts
Not counting the trip to Home Depot, doing the work took me about 45 minutes. I am not a professional, and in fact I am known for being slow, although I have done this before. The parts cost about $50, although I had the flex conduit and the connectors. It was simple because I did have room for the 50A 240V breaker and I mounted the box with the receptacle on top of the existing drywall and there was solid wood behind the drywall to hold the screws.

With that said, if you are not comfortable going inside your electrical panel and being sure you are buying the correct type of breaker (there are a few) then hire somebody who is.

· Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
I'm not hearing any noises during charging.

· Registered
1 Posts
So I have heard a really loud whirling noise every now and then when I connect to charge after a trip.
I was due the recall update - so sent videos of it to Porsche. It is really loud / does not sound like stones, sounds more like a broken fan... and does not sound normal.

I got this reply -

We have been looking into the charging noise and we are still unable to find the issue. We have contacted Porsche GB and they have said this is a known issue and Porsche Germany are working on a fix. We now need to wait till this fix has come out before we can do anything. Hopefully it won’t be too long but Porsche have not given us any dates.

So it is a known issue!
I will keep you updated. Wish I could share the video... might try :)

FYI - mine is a Taycan Turbo S

· Premium Member
2021 Taycan 4S
1,081 Posts
So I have heard a really loud whirling noise every now and then when I connect to charge after a trip.
I was due the recall update - so sent videos of it to Porsche. It is really loud / does not sound like stones, sounds more like a broken fan... and does not sound normal.

I got this reply -

We have been looking into the charging noise and we are still unable to find the issue. We have contacted Porsche GB and they have said this is a known issue and Porsche Germany are working on a fix. We now need to wait till this fix has come out before we can do anything. Hopefully it won’t be too long but Porsche have not given us any dates.

So it is a known issue!
I will keep you updated. Wish I could share the video... might try :)
Thanks very much for sharing. We'll all be interested in finding out what this noise actually is. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.