Taycan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well fist of all good morning , new owner here from San Diego area ...
I need some help figure out what I’m doing wrong , if anything .
I played over the weekend with my new car delivered Friday but I’m hanging some issues even after activating all accounts and subscriptions :
1. Internet radio is grey out and not selectable , even if account had been activated ,
2. Apple Music account , even if properly linked , doesn’t work and can’t listen to Apple Music . Keep giving me connection problem when I tried to activate it from pcm after I linked it with porsche connect app
3. Regeneration keeps turning off . I can’t save my selection . I set it to auto and then during the drive I check it and is back to off, or it turns off when I turn car off at the end of trip and on my next trip Is back to off .
Am I doing something wrong ?
Thanks guys for your time and happy to be part of the group

·
Registered
945 Posts
I played over the weekend with my new car delivered Friday but I’m hanging some issues even after activating all accounts and subscriptions :
1. Internet radio is grey out and not selectable , even if account had been activated ,
2. Apple Music account , even if properly linked , doesn’t work and can’t listen to Apple Music . Keep giving me connection problem when I tried to activate it from pcm after I linked it with porsche connect app
3. Regeneration keeps turning off . I can’t save my selection . I set it to auto and then during the drive I check it and is back to off, or it turns off when I turn car off at the end of trip and on my next trip Is back to off .
Welcome to the forum @Jetpilot. Congrats on the new 4S! With the Apple Music and internet radio you might need the dealer to look at the OTA communication module. I've seen that happen with other people. For the regen braking when you press auto i believe it blends between regen braking and coasting.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hey @Jetpilot. For regenerative braking I think you'll find this post to be helpful. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi @Jetpilot! I received my 2021 Taycan 4S 3 weeks ago - same thing as you + SiriusXM is also greyed out for me. I have narrowed down the problem to the OTA module not being working right from the delivery at the dealership. I have then spent 5 calls with Porsche telling them that even though Verizon tells me my trial is activated and the Porsche NA "escalating" to Germany I have yet to have the LTE - OTA Data Connection to work. And yesterday I finally lost it - prefacing I was not complaining to the nice lady at Porsche NA - but that paying close 150k for a Porsche and not having the software was outrageous and just a shame. It is my 9th Porsche and this is the worse experience by far. I actually sent my resume to Porsche Germany to take over software for them if they want to - I am a VP of software engineering and I have been debugging the networking calls Porsche Connect makes from the browser and my phone. That being said I am still working with them on the OTA module beyond all the software incoherences and the latency because all servers are in Germany. I also tried to escalate to the mythical Charles I read knows how and I have asked them to figure out who the guy is and have him write a KB article for all customers like us that have the same problem - should be easy since once he is involved apparently everything starts working. Next step is going to the dealership to have look at the OTA module from a hardware pov but I would hope that it is a software pov and not a hardware pov these chips are not rocket science and work well and their yields are good. Anyways more updates later. If you find a magic recipe please let me know... or another mythical person at Porsche NA if you get your problem addressed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Jetpilot,

Similar issues with my '20 4S - also in SoCal. Mine also had the endlessly rolling blue circle. Ended up having entire PCM replaced and seems to have addressed issue 6 weeks in. Spent around 4 weeks in the shop.

As for regen - this is a 'standard' setting, it also kicks out when using Launch Control. I use the icon in the wheel rather than going through the vehicle set up - much quicker. As suggested for permanent you can set it up in individual mode.

Also be aware that I had similar issues to @Patrice71 with Porsche NA customer service. A challenging client experience. Was offered a free months lease payment as compensation even though I purchased. Oh, and expectation to waive my CA Lemon Law rights. Needless to say was advised to say no thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi @Jetpilot! I received my 2021 Taycan 4S 3 weeks ago - same thing as you + SiriusXM is also greyed out for me. I have narrowed down the problem to the OTA module not being working right from the delivery at the dealership. I have then spent 5 calls with Porsche telling them that even though Verizon tells me my trial is activated and the Porsche NA "escalating" to Germany I have yet to have the LTE - OTA Data Connection to work. And yesterday I finally lost it - prefacing I was not complaining to the nice lady at Porsche NA - but that paying close 150k for a Porsche and not having the software was outrageous and just a shame. It is my 9th Porsche and this is the worse experience by far. I actually sent my resume to Porsche Germany to take over software for them if they want to - I am a VP of software engineering and I have been debugging the networking calls Porsche Connect makes from the browser and my phone. That being said I am still working with them on the OTA module beyond all the software incoherences and the latency because all servers are in Germany. I also tried to escalate to the mythical Charles I read knows how and I have asked them to figure out who the guy is and have him write a KB article for all customers like us that have the same problem - should be easy since once he is involved apparently everything starts working. Next step is going to the dealership to have look at the OTA module from a hardware pov but I would hope that it is a software pov and not a hardware pov these chips are not rocket science and work well and their yields are good. Anyways more updates later. If you find a magic recipe please let me know... or another mythical person at Porsche NA if you get your problem addressed.
I found out that if you connect your phone with a usb c cable to one of the port in the arm rest , everything start to magically work. You get internet radio and everything available , but phone ( I have an iPhone ) get recognized by a the system as an iPod so if you select Apple Music icon , you need to start the music from your phone . Seems like is a wifi / Bluetooth communication problem.
Anyway my car goes back to diagnostic on March 15th will see what happens

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found out that if you connect your phone with a usb c cable to one of the port in the arm rest , everything start to magically work. You get internet radio and everything available , but phone ( I have an iPhone ) get recognized by a the system as an iPod so if you select Apple Music icon , you need to start the music from your phone . Seems like is a wifi / Bluetooth communication problem.
Anyway my car goes back to diagnostic on March 15th will see what happens
Thanks for the tip on using the USB-C cable - this is so not baked in from a software pov and the user experience is so so not polished - it is a shame... But if Porsche wants to kick ass in the EV market they will have to up their game with all software aspects. They have ways to go compared to where Tesla is but even Tesla software was better from the get go... the basics were always working. The Tesla car on the other hands are a POS - had two and will never had another one but the software is definitely solid and always more solid. The other thing I gave a lot of feedback is that Porsche should revamp their support - and equip their support to have actionable things to try remotely by kicking remote procedure to either diagnose remotely AND/OR try to reset things based on diagnostic info from the car. But I am assuming too much of a great car company that is just starting with software.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will definitely though give them an earful... still unacceptable.
Definitely , it’s inadmissible a 150K car has problem like these . Also quality control is going down the toilet . I have a piece of metal coming out from front passenger seat , raise leather with wrinkles on another seat , couple of spot of defective paint and couple of scratches in the inside , plus all software issues .
I did also own 2 Tesla’s a model 3 and model X. Software they are great but awful building quality . Door seems made with paper and plastic , everything look cheap , plus phantom drain of battery . I still have an X , wellli had one, because my wife had an accident yesterday and now is probably a complete loss .... I don’t know if i’m more upset with Tesla or porsche now .... anyway I’m sure everything is fixable .... but definitely I’m impressed from how accurate is the range of porsche , took my first trip to airport yesterday , driving from San Diego to LAX and it was spot on , range actually increased driving there and 92 miles were actually 92 miles .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update from me - the LTE connection was fixed by reaching out enough time to a Porsche Connect until the person I was talking to knew the mythical Charles mentioned in order posts. His last name is Williams - Charles Williams - once he was involved less than 5 min later my LTE was working. Why don't they teach what he does to ALL tech support people is maddening to me - put a button on a support console that does what Charles does when he resets something on their backend. The Sirius XM was still not working up until a week ago when I got to a local dealer here in Bellevue WA where they installed the new firmware and software and magically my Sirius XM started working AND my car is finally able to charge at Electrify America by just plugging the cable in. All in all since these two updates I have 0 issue with the car and am happy.

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
114 Posts
Update from me - the LTE connection was fixed by reaching out enough time to a Porsche Connect until the person I was talking to knew the mythical Charles mentioned in order posts. His last name is Williams - Charles Williams - once he was involved less than 5 min later my LTE was working. Why don't they teach what he does to ALL tech support people is maddening to me - put a button on a support console that does what Charles does when he resets something on their backend. The Sirius XM was still not working up until a week ago when I got to a local dealer here in Bellevue WA where they installed the new firmware and software and magically my Sirius XM started working AND my car is finally able to charge at Electrify America by just plugging the cable in. All in all since these two updates I have 0 issue with the car and am happy.
it is good to see that two of the common issues seem to be resolved by the update. I haven't noticed the LTE issue, what is that about?

·
Registered
7 Posts
it is good to see that two of the common issues seem to be resolved by the update. I haven't noticed the LTE issue, what is that about?
Upon taking delivery of my car and even after the dealer had activated the Verizon connection and account I had zero data connectivity to the car and therefore a bunch of things like Online Radio, Apple Music (native app in the PCM not from our phones) and Apple Podcast (native app in the PCM not from our phones) were not working at all. The update fixed my Sirius XM activation and the call to Porsche Connect and the mytical Charles Williams fixed the data (LTE) issue. They were solved with different processes so I am not sure if the update at the dealer would have solved the LTE issue as it seemed that Charles did something on the Porsche Servers backend and once he did it started immediately - I mean minutes. Nobody else had solved this problem.
Cheers
Patrice

·
Registered
2021 Taycan 4S
451 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Georgia. My daughter lives in San Diego. Love that City.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for being a ghost, I just decided after a lot of back and forward to lemon the car . Too many glitches and I don’t see a resolution .
What filled out the bucket was the porsche charger at home . I installed the original porsche charger inside the garage and the charger and car keep overheating . I had an electrician check everything and he said is dangerously hot between 120-130 degrees .
Porsche checked the charger at 110v for 2 minutes and called it good at that point I realized they don’t care about anything and there is no reason to keep wasting my time and money trying to fix stupid

·
Registered
2021 Taycan 4S
451 Posts
Sorry for all of your troubles. Hope everything gets resolved to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
2021 taycan 4s
114 Posts
Sorry for being a ghost, I just decided after a lot of back and forward to lemon the car . Too many glitches and I don’t see a resolution .
What filled out the bucket was the porsche charger at home . I installed the original porsche charger inside the garage and the charger and car keep overheating . I had an electrician check everything and he said is dangerously hot between 120-130 degrees .
Porsche checked the charger at 110v for 2 minutes and called it good at that point I realized they don’t care about anything and there is no reason to keep wasting my time and money trying to fix stupid
I am beginning on this path now, I was almost stranded again at an EA charger because of an apparent glitch in my car's charge port. the dealership was less than helpful not grasping that there is a difference between charging at their charger and being dependent on the EA chargers when on a road trip. the car is not reliable for my needs and I will begin the lemon law path starting tomorrow with a call to Porsche NA.
I cannot be in a position of having a 50-50 chance of being stranded at an EA charger that cannot get the car charged.

·
Registered
2021 Taycan 4S
451 Posts
I had my first negative experience with EA today. First charger was out of service. Reported it to EA and moved to another charger. Used plug and charge and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am beginning on this path now, I was almost stranded again at an EA charger because of an apparent glitch in my car's charge port. the dealership was less than helpful not grasping that there is a difference between charging at their charger and being dependent on the EA chargers when on a road trip. the car is not reliable for my needs and I will begin the lemon law path starting tomorrow with a call to Porsche NA.
I cannot be in a position of having a 50-50 chance of being stranded at an EA charger that cannot get the car charged.
Yup is very sad , porsche definitely is not ready for an electric car yet . I guess after 10 years of loyalty to porsche will need to look around . I’m not even wasting my time to call porsche I have just hired a legal firm , to recoup all my loss, including trading my previous vehicle in and installation of charger and so on

·
Registered
2021 Taycan 4S
451 Posts
Be sure to keep us posted on how things go for you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts