Taycan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that wheel mass, aerodynamics, and tire selection influence range & energy efficiency, which Porsche wheel choice most benefits range? Let's assume same tire is available for all wheel diameters so tire choice doesn't impact decision.

Also, by how much does it influence range?

Lastly, should tire choice make a significant difference in range, what is best choice of tire?

·
Super Moderator
802 Posts
I can't say for sure about the wheels. As for tires, they can definitely make a few percentage points difference when it comes to range/economy.

This list below is pretty detailed. I'm not sure if you can get any of these tires in a size for a Taycan though. The Pirellis would probably be a good pick, although I generally default to Michelins on everything.

You'll definitely see an impact when it comes to performance though...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for providing.

I am a fan of Michelin tires as well. I did notice the article wrote about the Hankook Kinergy Eco, the only tire described as being for a performance car.

·
Super Moderator
802 Posts
I checked Tirerack and it looks like they have sizes, but there are zero reviews for this tire so far there.

Hankook Kinergy Eco porsche taycan

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
866 Posts
19" wheels definitely most efficient and better ride quality but 20" and 21" look better.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I can't say for sure about the wheels. As for tires, they can definitely make a few percentage points difference when it comes to range/economy.

This list below is pretty detailed. I'm not sure if you can get any of these tires in a size for a Taycan though. The Pirellis would probably be a good pick, although I generally default to Michelins on everything.

You'll definitely see an impact when it comes to performance though...
Don’t neglect the N rating, which indicates that the tire has been approved by Porsche. The number after the N indicates the number of revisions the tire maker has made. The tires developed for the Taycan which I have seen are N0.

My 911 C4S came with Michelins Pilot Sports; they were a bit noisy and handled wonderfully. Unfortunately I found that their sidewalls were extremely delicate. I lost 2 to sidewall tearing when they were impaled by small tree branches on the road that I would be tempted to call twigs … maybe 3/8” in diameter at most. I switched to the N rated Continentials, I think they were called Sport Contact, and never lost another. The Conti’s were a bit less exact in handling but much quieter. The last time I needed new tires the Conti’s were not available, so I got Bridgestone Potenazas, which are fine, but also not amazing.

I was surprised to find that all of these tires were less expensive at the Porsche dealer than at local tire stores.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Taycan 4S
866 Posts
Last time I needed a tire for my Cayman it was cheaper at my dealership than anywhere else. I was very surprised.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts